PDA

View Full Version : Region 3 and 8 Poaching...

ThisIsLiving
10-25-2008, 01:16 PM
I was up in the interior for my yearly moose hunt near mcbride and on my way back down i decided to take a tour through region 3-20 monte hills ..... me and my buddy came across a 8x8 bull moose that had been shot and left to rott..... honestly if your blinde you shouldnt be aloud to hunt ..... people are getting far to excited when they see moose with antlers in the immature season and just basically go trigger happy and its going to ruin it for us all because they are talking about taking the immature season away ..... specifically for this reason.... they have on record a total of 32 illigal bulls taken out of region 8 and 3 this year just from complete morons ... you know who you are ....please check 10 times if you have to before you shoot.... and who cares if the moose gets away better then it killing off alot of the population and spoiling it for us all....

ThisIsLiving

rocksteady
10-25-2008, 01:34 PM
Don't kid yourself, this occurs in all regions with all species....

Whoever is doing this will not stop until they get reported and/or caught redhanded.....

If they do it and there is no ramifications, they may do it again....

That is why it is up to all OUTDOORS people (not just hunters) to use the RAPP line and call this stuff in....

I do agree with you though, it is sickening...:evil::evil:

Its bad enough when you shoot and loose an animal, but to intentionally shoot something and walk away is a whole different ball game....

Jagermeister
10-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Maybe what we need is to have people that pass their core test (novice) serve a period of indenture to an experienced hunter who has had his licence a minimum of ten years. I'm thinking that the period of indentureship be at least 3 hunting seasons before they qualify to hunt on their own. I'm also thinking that the burdun of acheiving this will rest on the novice hunter.

Rob
10-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Lazy Poachers.

Steeleco
10-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Don't be too quick to blame the inexperienced. Some if not all of this blatant shooting is done by people that first off aren't hunters and secondly don't give a damn about the animal or it's welfare.

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Or the animal was shot, with all good intents, and the hunter was a poor tracker. Wounded game is lost occasionally , too.

blacktailslayer
10-25-2008, 03:55 PM
There is certainly no excuse for shooting and leaving this moose. With all the animals being wasted in moose season and four point muley's season the game department needs to change. Obviously for the average hunter(unlike us HBC hunting fanatics) it is too difficult to identify properly. These are the same guys who shoot at pie plates at 100 yards and once they hit it it's good enough(12" groups are good):wink:.
I would prefer to see more draws, and quit charging a ridiculous amount of $7. With draws you have better control of the # of animals taken, and make it any bull. Just my .02 cents.:biggrin:

Alpine Addict
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Just got off the phone now. i phoned in a moose we found also in region two. someone had taken the meat and cut out the antlers leaving the hide/head. I found it near coquihalla lakes, and there is deff not a moose season there.

eaglesnester
10-25-2008, 04:25 PM
Maybe what we need is to have people that pass their core test (novice) serve a period of indenture to an experienced hunter who has had his licence a minimum of ten years. I'm thinking that the period of indentureship be at least 3 hunting seasons before they qualify to hunt on their own. I'm also thinking that the burdun of acheiving this will rest on the novice hunter.
Something similar to what you suggest is done in Germany, I do believe that you have to be a member of a hunting shooting club and your club must own or lease a hunting preserve that is managed by a full time jagermeister. In order for a new hunter to get his license he must work with the jagermeister for a period of time managing the preserve and taking care of the animals that are hunted by the club. It ante easy hunting in Germany you got to jump through all sorts of hoops and those that do hunt guard the privilege carefully.
Cheers&Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

kgriz
10-25-2008, 04:38 PM
Couldn't agree with blacktail slayer more except perhaps the pie-plate thing....I've seen lots of people who can have shots touch at 100 on paper but be useless when it counts on a trophy......anyways well said. You're one of the few people I've seen on here who suggests an actual solution vs say how ethical you are and how bad these others are etc.

krazy
10-25-2008, 04:58 PM
Something similar to what you suggest is done in Germany, I do believe that you have to be a member of a hunting shooting club and your club must own or lease a hunting preserve that is managed by a full time jagermeister. In order for a new hunter to get his license he must work with the jagermeister for a period of time managing the preserve and taking care of the animals that are hunted by the club. It ante easy hunting in Germany you got to jump through all sorts of hoops and those that do hunt guard the privilege carefully.

"Hunters" are not the problem. Focusing on hunters to reduce poaching is the same as focusing on gun owners (ie gun reg) to reduce crime. We don't need more red tape for honest people to be able to hunt - we need better enforcement and harsher penalties for criminals (poachers).

Rob
10-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Just got off the phone now. i phoned in a moose we found also in region two. someone had taken the meat and cut out the antlers leaving the hide/head. I found it near coquihalla lakes, and there is deff not a moose season there.
Some people dont require a Moose season. Rob

Steeleco
10-25-2008, 05:13 PM

It may be possible that you found a dump site, The lakes are very near the borders of 3-13, 8-05 and 2-17.

Some people dont require a Moose season. Rob

I have met folks from the little village near there, they hunt when they need too. Didn't strike me as wasteful types, but they too don't need tags!!

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I would prefer to see more draws, and quit charging a ridiculous amount of $7. With draws you have better control of the # of animals taken, and make it any bull. Just my .02 cents.:biggrin:This is ridiculous. It won't help anything. A poor hunter is just that, a poor hunter. Controlling the numbers of hunters will only remove oppurtunity, something most of us have been fighting against.

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 05:19 PM
" We don't need more red tape for honest people to be able to hunt - we need better enforcement and harsher penalties for criminals (poachers).Why do we need to do anything ? The laws are in place, poachers don't consider the cost of their wrongdoings, hunters have game to shoot........
If the same animal went into someones freezer, it would still be dead.

Enforcement and peer pressure should be the only controls needed.

If you guys were seriously PO'd and wanted to do something, you would join Wilderness Watch

curt
10-25-2008, 05:32 PM
There is no excuse for this ignorant and selfish people give us all bad names, but here's a topic we may need to push with the wildlife branch ...god knows I've be on the phone more than once dicussing this very topic Im about to talk to you about.we all know in a perfect world everyone would be 200% sure before they ever pulled the trigger. The reality is again we all know we live in an anything but perfect world the more restrictions imposed antler size confirguration and so on leaves much room for errorI'm sure you wouls all agree?? would it not make more sense to have a season more designed like a general open season Bucks period bulls period ??? I hate to see prime healthy animals lying wastefully in the bush because the antlers were too small too big whatever it may be then that asswipe who would just move on to the next animal and hope it was legal maybe would just fill his tag and leave killing less animals in the long run I really feel a lot of theses regulations are horse crap 3 brow tine 10 point ans so on do you know how many beautiful bull moose i have heard of over the years laying in the bush with 9 points or 3 points instead of 2 its ridiculus Europe has general opening any moose bull cow calf and their moose stocks are incredible in most areas. Just my 2 cents and for the record I have never shot the wrong animal by mistake but left the bush frustrated at seeing beautiful not legal animals many a days I tell you that!!!

ThisIsLiving
10-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Or the animal was shot, with all good intents, and the hunter was a poor tracker. Wounded game is lost occasionally , too.

It was about 30 feet off the road in a clearcut tracking was not an excuse you could see it from the road

ThisIsLiving
10-25-2008, 06:24 PM
There is no excuse for this ignorant and selfish people give us all bad names, but here's a topic we may need to push with the wildlife branch ...god knows I've be on the phone more than once dicussing this very topic Im about to talk to you about.we all know in a perfect world everyone would be 200% sure before they ever pulled the trigger. The reality is again we all know we live in an anything but perfect world the more restrictions imposed antler size confirguration and so on leaves much room for errorI'm sure you wouls all agree?? would it not make more sense to have a season more designed like a general open season Bucks period bulls period ??? I hate to see prime healthy animals lying wastefully in the bush because the antlers were too small too big whatever it may be then that asswipe who would just move on to the next animal and hope it was legal maybe would just fill his tag and leave killing less animals in the long run I really feel a lot of theses regulations are horse crap 3 brow tine 10 point ans so on do you know how many beautiful bull moose i have heard of over the years laying in the bush with 9 points or 3 points instead of 2 its ridiculus Europe has general opening any moose bull cow calf and their moose stocks are incredible in most areas. Just my 2 cents and for the record I have never shot the wrong animal by mistake but left the bush frustrated at seeing beautiful not legal animals many a days I tell you that!!!

I couldnt agree with you more curt.... if everyone had a moose in the freezer and it was open season there would be no error or reason for poaching in general although the population may go down over the years... and if that was the case...LEH it

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 06:31 PM
It was about 30 feet off the road in a clearcut tracking was not an excuse you could see it from the roadGlad you found the evidence to convince you that there was no other explanation, other than the animal was poached.
And 31 other confirmed poachings ? That sux

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2008, 06:51 PM
The last thing we need is more restrictions or more bullshit LEH. Game populations throughout most of BC are at an all-time high. We should be opening more up and tossing antler restrictions in the garbage can where there is no conservation concern. Illegal kills are already factored in to harvest stats when setting seasons. It's a shame to see animals wasted.

Stopped in for a BS session with one of my CO friends today, he had the robo-buck 3 point in the back of his truck. Five new bullet holes in it today. One dope even shot it out the window of his truck. Hope they think about all those tickets they have to pay now, and dummy up. :|

kgriz
10-25-2008, 07:47 PM
When does a poacher become a poacher? I ask this because of how much its being slung around lately. From past threads I saw how the fellow with the sheep that was too young was first congratulated, baited, and then dog-piled on and then congratulated again when he took his licks. So to many he went from hunter to poacher to hunter again? Is it somebodies bad intent that makes them a poacher vs a mistake? I haven't made up my mind. Is it as simple as somebody who breaks the law and doesn't own up to it? Hmmmm....sounds like the rap with drunk driving to me, as soon as somebody does it and gets caught or causes an accident they are the worst person on earth BUT nobody thinks of a family wedding where 90% of the people drive home impared but thats grammy and grampy not some dirtbag right? I got busted once for a loaded firearm on a quad once....I told the CO there were none in the chamber when he asked but there were none in the gun...and that was excactly the case he then proceeded to give me a $280 fine and a lengthly safety speach. I asked how I was being unsafe when I told him there were no live shells in a bolt action rifle and I was correct...but I could run down the trail with a loaded gun with no legal ramifications. Odd Does this offence make me a poacher. Kind of like the robo-buck and shooting within the 400m highway corridor....Do it in BC ... Dirty Poacher.....yet in Alberta you're OK as long as its not towards or parallel to the road ie. shooting away from the road is OK. Is it the wasting that labels a poacher? What about somebody who likes to hunt bears for there fur but not the meat....they can legally take that animal home to their permanent residence and then throw the meat away, its perfectly legal...are they wasteful, a poacher, or just a hunter who doesn't like bear meat? I've eaten Griz, tastes about the same but the rule isn't ....somebody will try to tell you because they eat more meat its considered different and perhaps more dangerous due to possible disease...are they both not omnivorous..sounds like politics to me. Cougar tastes a lot like chicken.
I've met a lot of hunters out there who haven't got a clue of which MU they are in or exactly what the season is......are they all poachers or do the over complex regulations just endorse them? I haven't decided enough to scream poacher evertime a dead animal is found

jessbennett
10-25-2008, 07:56 PM
It was about 30 feet off the road in a clearcut tracking was not an excuse you could see it from the road

did u actually see a bullet hole in it???? maybe it was hit by a vehicle????? who knows???? but it definately sounds suspicious. i hate hearing bout this crap.

curt
10-25-2008, 08:22 PM
tougher penalties would play a huge role too make fines huge and you lose your license 5 yrs first time life time for second offence quit pissing around with these jerks if people knew one wrong pull of a trigger could change their lives dramatically then that might make people stop and think twice not all but we would touch the few people riding the fence of the laws

kgriz
10-25-2008, 08:26 PM
seems to work good in places like communist China

ThisIsLiving
10-25-2008, 08:55 PM
did u actually see a bullet hole in it???? maybe it was hit by a vehicle????? who knows???? but it definately sounds suspicious. i hate hearing bout this crap.

2 bullet holes in it..... 1 in the head and 1 through the vital.... lol vehicle not a chance..... i dont think people travel fast enough on forestry roads to kill a moose....

ThisIsLiving
10-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Glad you found the evidence to convince you that there was no other explanation, other than the animal was poached.
And 31 other confirmed poachings ? That sux

sorry i didnt..... mention the bullet holes in the head and body ill be more specific next time ...... and alll the poached moose is a fact... my buddy who is a CO has dealt with most of them.... and yes i did call RAPP immidietly when we confirmed the death

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Stopped in for a BS session with one of my CO friends today, he had the robo-buck 3 point in the back of his truck. Five new bullet holes in it today. One dope even shot it out the window of his truck. Hope they think about all those tickets they have to pay now, and dummy up. :|I bet some of the stuff the CO's come up against is down-right laughable.

You might be a redneck if you've caped out a robo-buck.

TimberPig
10-25-2008, 09:33 PM
2 bullet holes in it..... 1 in the head and 1 through the vital.... lol vehicle not a chance..... i dont think people travel fast enough on forestry roads to kill a moose....

Evidently you haven't spent much time on enough mainline logging roads. When the pickups are doing 80-120 and the logging trucks are doing 60-80, they're going to kill a moose quite handily. Not all roads can be travelled at these speeds, but many in the interior can.

Now for most roadhunters, they're probably not going to be going this fast.

kgriz
10-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Even with WorkSafe?!!! lol:roll:

H Wally
10-25-2008, 10:29 PM
If it meant reducing the number of ignorant/bad hunters, I would fully be happy to have a three season probation on new hunting.

It would however mean that a lot more hunters would have to take new guys out hunting, because if it's anything like now, no new guys would get to hunt at all, because no one will talk to them! (I admit, I don't know anything, that's precisely why I'm asking the annoying questions all the time)

Anyways, poaching really gets under my skin. At our cabin there was a period of years where bears were routinely found without paws or appear to have been cut open. The lack of respect is appalling.

betteroffishing
10-26-2008, 08:48 AM
great well thaught out arguments kozakgriz, we pulled up to our spot mid august to find the fur and feet of a moose in a site close to ours, went on a fact finding mission, turns out the guys who left the day before were "poachers" by 1/4 inch. they shot it at last light and saw it as a 3x2, while skinning and hanging they saw, close to the skull ,a sticker point . called the co in the am he confiscated the meat and cut the tag, no fine thank god but1/4 inch on a sticker that was almost covered in fur, come on give me a break if that isnt overregulation turning an honest guy into a criminal and more importantly turning an honest hunter into a guy no longer interested in hunting, i dont know what is. this was in reg 8-6

Phreddy
10-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I toally agree Dave. Things have reached the point where you almost need a university degree to figure out what the regs state in many cases.
Curt had the best suggestion, going back to a GOS. It's reached the point now where the government is trying to attract new hunters to take up the sport, yet they have made it so complicated that many are afraid to try in case they make a mistake in interpreting what's legal and what's not.
I'm glad I'm at the ending part of my hunting career rather than at the starting end. Things were so much more simple when I was starting out, and there was far less crap happening in the woods.
Another idea would be to create an auxilliary C.O. force, similar to most other law enforcement agencies. Mos tC.O.'s are spread so thinly that they can't possible do an effective job.

ThisIsLiving
10-26-2008, 11:32 AM
Evidently you haven't spent much time on enough mainline logging roads. When the pickups are doing 80-120 and the logging trucks are doing 60-80, they're going to kill a moose quite handily. Not all roads can be travelled at these speeds, but many in the interior can.

Now for most roadhunters, they're probably not going to be going this fast.

Im not to sure what logging roads you have been travelling on in the interior but lol id love to see u travel 80-120 on any road up montey hills safely without smashing head on into another hunter or tumbleing down a bank a good 30 feet.... yea for sure some logging trucks travel 60-80 k's because they travel the road everyday for months sometimes years

Derek_Erickson
10-26-2008, 11:43 AM
"id love to see u travel 80-120 on any road up montey hills safely without smashing head on into another hunter or tumbleing down a bank a good 30 feet"

Quite easily A guy can travel that fast on many of the roads in that overpopulated area. is it suggested? No

ThisIsLiving
10-26-2008, 11:47 AM
"id love to see u travel 80-120 on any road up montey hills safely without smashing head on into another hunter or tumbleing down a bank a good 30 feet"

Quite easily A guy can travel that fast on many of the roads in that overpopulated area. is it suggested? No

quite easily could you get killed travelling that fast on those roads as well..... suite yourselves.... i just hope im not on the road at the time you risk your life and other fellow hunters/loggers

ROM
10-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm a believer in any bull seasons. if this means leh so be it.

I am astonished to see all the different kind of moose regs. I was also surprised to find a 4 point rule that changes twice in the same zone during a season. I passed on 2 bucks this year to be safe but I highly suspect they were legal.

The bc regs seemed to be designed by non-hunting academics with a nice budget and little concern for the realities of hunting.

Im sure the policy makers have rational but when I hear of left game marginally illegal I just think of all the grad students in Victoria drinking their lattes and feeling proud of the job they did.

husky30-06
10-26-2008, 03:06 PM

I tend to agree, I learned to hunt under the direction of my Dad for several years before I was able to go out by myself. I think that if a system was in place for this to be done, that bad habits or over reaction to the taking of game "could" possibly be avoided. Though on the other hand where are poachers taught? From fathers and Grandfathers who did not have respect for the privalage to hunt? or just out of straight lack of respect? More regulations are not going to stop such people, just as others have said, why punish those who do hunt respecfully?

NightOwl74
10-26-2008, 08:42 PM
Region 3 and 8 need a LEH for moose every 2nd year. The poaching is worse every year. The off years no hunting for moose period in these regions. This will compensate for the moose the rednecks poach. It's obvious people can't take on the responsibility of identifying the animal before the shot, so I would definitely support the above idea.

krazy
10-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Region 3 and 8 need a LEH for moose every 2nd year. The poaching is worse every year. The off years no hunting for moose period in these regions. This will compensate for the moose the rednecks poach. It's obvious people can't take on the responsibility of identifying the animal before the shot, so I would definitely support the above idea.

Punish everyone to compensate for poachers??? I can't believe hunters are comming up with ideas like this!

boxhitch
10-26-2008, 09:09 PM
Punish everyone to compensate for poachers??? I can't believe hunters are comming up with ideas like this!Maybe not. Antagonists wear all kinds of caps.:smile:

husky30-06
10-26-2008, 09:51 PM
one suggestion, how about everyone that you come accross in the bush this year ,copy their plate numbers down and if you hear of a poach in the area, send the list in. this way at least it would give the CO's somewhere to start, finish the investigation quicker and get back to the bush. also if they recognize a plate number of a repeat offender, maybe they could put more pressure on them. I would peronaly rather get a phone call from the CO's or RCMP about my game I shot then have the poachers get away with it. we only see a fraction of the game poached because we see the remains near roads. another thing, stop and talk with everyone you see, get to know people who hunt the area, this could make the poachers nervous and keep them clear of the area. if they will not stop and talk, then a possible poacher? our group always stop to talk, and I have come accross a few who never stopped and I did not trust them, no respect for fellow hunters, may not have respect for the wildlife. just my thoughts.

NightOwl74
10-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Punish everyone to compensate for poachers??? I can't believe hunters are comming up with ideas like this!
Not to punish anyone, but to stabilize the numbers of animals. Don't know if you live around here, but there are a lot of moose shot illegally here. It's literally every other day that there is a fresh poacher story in the paper. All I am saying is the numbers are prolly getting affected..do ya think?

Steeleco
10-26-2008, 09:57 PM
While many an idea has been posted, IMHO the only was to curb poaching is more enforcement guys. I once asked a CO at Tradex if a volunteer force was a possibility? His answer was, that due to cutbacks there's already guys laid off, they'd need recalling first. Since glitsy Gordie started his cutbacks, all these ministries have seen a lack of funding.

krazy
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Not to punish anyone, but to stabilize the numbers of animals. Don't know if you live around here, but there are a lot of moose shot illegally here. It's literally every other day that there is a fresh poacher story in the paper. All I am saying is the numbers are prolly getting affected..do ya think?

I don't disagree that it happens. I do disagree with trying to control it with season closures/changes that will only effect honest joe hunters. It's the same argument that the anti gun clan uses - guns are used in crimes so let's make it harder ( or impossible) for people to own them. People using guns for crime don't give a shit about gun laws and poachers don't give a shit about season laws (obviously). Closing seasons will do about as much for poaching as the gun registry has done for gun crime - nada! In fact, it will prob be easier to poach as there will be less eyes in the bush. The only way to fix the problem is more enforcement and stiffer penalties for the bad guys. Leave the good guys alone.

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2008, 05:39 AM

Define "a lot". A couple of my buddies are COs here, and they have caught a couple of guys and are investigating a few more cases. It might seem like "a lot" because they try to use the media as much as possible to get the public's help on these cases. In reality, it's about a dozen.

The impact compared to legal hunting (100 - 120 immies in GOS and 63 LEH, 10 - 12 by the guides, in all of region 8 ) and the unregulated First Nations' "harvest":roll: is minimal.

The 'Hummer'
10-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Define "a lot". A couple of my buddies are COs here, and they have caught a couple of guys and are investigating a few more cases. It might seem like "a lot" because they try to use the media as much as possible to get the public's help on these cases. In reality, it's about a dozen.

The impact compared to legal hunting (100 - 120 immies in GOS and 63 LEH, 10 - 12 by the guides, in all of region 8 ) and the unregulated First Nations' "harvest":roll: is minimal.

:biggrin:That should 'stir' a few.;)

GoatGuy
10-27-2008, 09:36 AM

Wounding mortality is likely far greater than the illegal kills.

As high as 15-20%.

Seems like a lot of waste.

krazy
10-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Define "a lot" ..... The impact compared to legal hunting (100 - 120 immies in GOS and 63 LEH, 10 - 12 by the guides, in all of region 8 )and the unregulated First Nations' "harvest":roll: is minimal.

I didn't want to go here but you make a good point.

NightOwl74
10-27-2008, 06:14 PM
I was up in the interior for my yearly moose hunt near mcbride and on my way back down i decided to take a tour through region 3-20 monte hills ..... me and my buddy came across a 8x8 bull moose that had been shot and left to rott..... honestly if your blinde you shouldnt be aloud to hunt ..... people are getting far to excited when they see moose with antlers in the immature season and just basically go trigger happy and its going to ruin it for us all because they are talking about taking the immature season away ..... specifically for this reason.... they have on record a total of 32 illigal bulls taken out of region 8 and 3 this year just from complete morons ... you know who you are ....please check 10 times if you have to before you shoot.... and who cares if the moose gets away better then it killing off alot of the population and spoiling it for us all...
ThisIsLiving
Well this guy says in the first post "32 illegal bulls taken out of region 8 and 3 this year". So Fisher Dude or this guy..........who has the correct poached moose figures for region 3 and 8?

10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Unregulated First Nations harvest is minimal

I get a real BANG out of that comment, minimal my back side!! COWS, CALVES, BULLS, BUCKS, DOES and FAWNS, is more like it. Our First Nation harvest should be mandatory reporting on all kills to some what help managers come up with seasons or leh numbers. Makes me sick to see what's going on with poachers and the sale of wild game from some First Nations. It's the same as the Salmon, no different, not one politician will stand up and face the facts. Keep letting it go and eventually say good by to all our Fish and Game in the province.
Like the beauty of a judge allowing pit lamping by First Nations, oh I forgot, they had 1 million candle power lights way back when, just like gill nets, it's an absolute joke !
C/T

NightOwl74
10-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Interesting comments guys. Keep 'em comin' and remember, everyones opinion in a public forum should be respected:-P.

NaStY
10-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Unregulated First Nations harvest is minimal

I get a real BANG out of that comment, minimal my back side!! COWS, CALVES, BULLS, BUCKS, DOES and FAWNS, is more like it. Our First Nation harvest should be mandatory reporting on all kills to some what help managers come up with seasons or leh numbers. Makes me sick to see what's going on with poachers and the sale of wild game from some First Nations. It's the same as the Salmon, no different, not one politician will stand up and face the facts. Keep letting it go and eventually say good by to all our Fish and Game in the province.
Like the beauty of a judge allowing pit lamping by First Nations, oh I forgot, they had 1 million candle power lights way back when, just like gill nets, it's an absolute joke !
C/T

I have personally seen what goes on, on the Fraser river for all the salmon in there. Ive seen piles of rotting sockeye in the bush that were dumped. Ive seen piles of dead male pinks just down river of beach saining. Its been reported many times with video to boot.

Ya i take this one personaly, down right piss's me right freaking off. Dont know if i would walk away from seeing an animal shot and left to rot if i witnessed it either.

Our gouvernment is too blame as well as the judictial system. NO BALLS!!!!!!

K my rant is over...........................

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Curly, you misread my post. I said that the poaching was minimal compared to the legal harvest which includes the unregulated FN harvest. I believe the FN harvest to be significant in region 8, judging by the activity I see in this area once the snow piles up and the moose are yarded up - and the number of FN trucks driving around and fresh gut piles I see when I go ice fishin' and sleddin'.

When the hell will FNs be held accountable to help in the management of our game populations? How can we ensure healthy populations if we have no idea what they are killing? FNs have been asked to report harvest to the bios, but they refuse to. Gee, I wonder why? :frown:

jimk shockey
10-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Poachers that have no good excuse and dont report it in should have their firearms/hunting license takin away forever, that way everyone would triple check their animal to make sure it is legal for the season.
I dont believe in pointing fingers just at the young hunters always being in the wrong iv heard from the CO's quite a few of the people arn't young inexperienced hunters. Was out yesterday found a cow moose lying in a cut block left for waste

NaStY
10-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Poachers that have no good excuse and dont report it in should have their firearms/hunting license takin away forever, that way everyone would triple check their animal to make sure it is legal for the season.
I dont believe in pointing fingers just at the young hunters always being in the wrong iv heard from the CO's quite a few of the people arn't young inexperienced hunters. Was out yesterday found a cow moose lying in a cut block left for waste

Could have been shot by anyone!

10-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Fisher Dude,
sorry I misread your post, and your last comments are absolutely correct.
It is hard to believe that when the F/N say they have right to food fishery and game that the quantities they harvest would equal litterally hundreds of pounds per person per band.
I have no issue with F/N harvesting be it Salmon or Wildlife as their own food, BUT when runs are low or populations are dwindleing and the harvest or slaughter continues it is down right abuse, greed is best to descibe it.

Sorry to get off topic, any hunter that does not report an illegal harvest, or poachers that shoot, kill, take only antlers and best meat, leaving the rest to rot should never be allowed to hunt that species again.
Turn these fines into enhancement of our fish and game. It is a privelage to be able to hunt and fish, not a right.

Curly top

jwe63
10-27-2008, 10:51 PM
My opinion- the best way to manage FN harvests is to grant each band a stack of LEH permits based upon habitat size, and biliogists counts of game herds etc. If numbers are down, then just like us, they get less to harvest. The tags are issued by the band chief to whom ever they please, as they please. BUT....each hunter is still accountable and must have a tag.

This way, Native Bands are autonomous, but still cooperative in game management to all our benefit. If caught poaching , they must answer to the Band, AND to the CO's . Seems logical to me

Vader
10-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Yeah and you pay by the pound of antler. Roughly $5000 AND they tell you which animal you are to shoot AND no meat. Sounds like just what we need eh...:roll:

hunter1947
10-29-2008, 04:08 AM
This goes as well for all game male animals that have point restrictions ,count 3 times to make sure it is legal before you shoot.

I have to agree with you on this statement there are to many trigger happy hunters out there that don't look at the antlers long enough then start shooting.

People that do this illegal thing should not even be out there in the bush hunting if they don't count before they shoot.

Wild one
10-29-2008, 10:38 AM
In my opinion poaching will never stop no mater how hard you try to make it. What I think might help is.

1)More Co's (I almost never see a Co when out hunting)

2)Larger fines (a true poacher does not care when you take away his right to hunt)

3)Everyone needs to play by the same rules(First nation's ,Youth and senior)

Changing the reg's might help mistakes but if a someone is going to poach they don't care what the reg's say so I don't think it will help much.