PDA

View Full Version : Walking into a pack of wolves!!!!

whitetailsheds
10-25-2008, 12:52 PM
These are some video tidbits of a hunting partner and I getting into 2 packs of wolves that were howling back and forth to each other. We had just finished calling a bull moose, and had to leave him due to dark coming on fast.
On the way back to the truck, the wolves started up about 200 yards from the truck, so we decided to go down and check it out. The wind for this was perfect, and a cutline made for quiet walking.
This first video is walking down to the commotion:

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/?action=view&current=walktothewolves.flv

This second video is right in the middle of them. We could not see them. But we could hear them walking in the leaves, breathing, and snapping their teeth amongst each other. We put them within ~40 yards of us. When one got on the downwind side, that's when all the barking started. As we had separated them, we started yelling just to let them know what the hell we were. We were not to sure of what was going to happen as most of them were still upwind of us.

http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/whitetailsheds/?action=view&current=Inthemiddle.flv

This took place near Tumbler Ridge, the third week of Sept, while chasing moose.
Out of 7 days, we called and had responses from bulls every day. Never did get a bull, but turned down a 50", 5x4 on the brows. Looking for 60"!
And, we also heard wolves every day. That blew us away as well, thinking if the wolves were there, the moose would have vacated, but they didn't.
The wolves have increased in huge numbers up here over the last couple years.
Every moose/elk hunt last year, they were heard.
The biggest group was approx. 20. We couldn't keep track after that.
Thanks Steve for the footage!
Turn up the volume, and enjoy! G

smokey
10-25-2008, 01:38 PM
that first video had me on the end of my seat,they sounds really close

10-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Sounds like a great experience! There are lots of wolves in that area. I shot a record book wolf near Lone Prairie and saw quite of few other big ones too.

Big7
10-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Like to catch them in the daylight!

Sounds cool when they go off like that!

Jagermeister
10-25-2008, 02:13 PM
Okay, someone tell me why I can't view the clips?

rishu_pepper
10-25-2008, 02:33 PM
The colourful skyline and the eerie wolf howls made these videos a haunting yet mysterious viewing. Awesome, thanks for sharing. :)

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Too bad the wolf harvest numbers are so poor for that region. Not enough interest, I guess.

boonerbuck
10-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately I don't do online vid clips because I'm on dial up.:sad:

I called in a pack of 6 or 7 wolves while attempting to call moose once. They were at 40 yards when I saw the first 4 crossing the trail. I was actually bow hunting and had no idea they were coming in. Too bad because I was unable to noc an arrow in time.

I called again and they didnt return...I thought. When I decided to walk away up another trail I discovered a couple of them paralleling me along the treail sides. At that point I was concerned. I chased them off. My 3d camo had them not so convinced I wasnt something to eat.

By far that was one of my most memerable moments while hunting.

ianwuzhere
10-25-2008, 07:58 PM
I wanna see a few of them during the daylight. I also have heard more wolves this year. tracks all over. one day was bugling along a river in middle of nowhere and heard a dog bark just like the second video- sounded just like a domestic dog at first-then it started howling like a wolf shortly after.. I dont think they flush moose very much but i know they flush elk and deer a long ways away...prolly why my freezers still empty,grrr.

kgriz
10-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I have had good luck with the rutting buck smokin sticks and a E.L.K deerstopper call to bring them in....This bad boy fell for it and my Uncle has seen his mate a couple times in the past 2 years....its just a matter of time. I missed a big black one at work the other day but he was head on at 365..not much of a target. Shoot em when you see em.
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z268/mikekozak/wolf2.jpg

ibehuntin
10-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Cool video! The howling just about sent my dog over the edge though, he'll probably have nightmares now. Nice wolf kozakgrizz, looks like a big one. Wolves, smoke a pack a day.:-P

kgriz
10-25-2008, 08:43 PM
he was big....scored 17 8/16, as big as a lot of bears. ( made BC book top 30 ) Thought he was a coyote when I first saw him but his mate was black so not coyotes lol. Spined him and when I went towards him to finish him off my uncle said to just bonk him with a big stick, he then promptly shredded a baseball bat sized stick in .01 seconds when we got near, hence all the blood, I chose the gun for the coupe de grace:eek:

BlacktailStalker
10-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Nice wolf for sure Kozak.
There should be more dead wolves on this thread after the first story...
3 hounds were killed here 2-3 weeks ago by wolves.

ianwuzhere
10-26-2008, 05:41 AM
nice one kgriz, thanx for posting...

BearSniper
10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Awesome video

Great Wolf Koza grizz:grin:

boxhitch
10-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Any plans for the hide ?