PDA

View Full Version : Good day

Crazy_Farmer
10-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Well we finally got under some of the little squeakers this morning. Even when theres real geese on the ground they still like to circle 4-5 times before decoying. Our two man limit of geese.

We got a Fraser Valley Dark goose smorgasbord. Left to right is 3 honkers(11-9 pounds) 3 lessers(5 pounds) 2 Tavernors(3.5-4 pounds) and 2 Cacklers (2-2-5 pounds) Now thats diversity.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/Oct25th.jpg

longshot
10-25-2008, 03:00 PM
Looks like a great hunt!

Longshot

ianwuzhere
10-25-2008, 07:59 PM
wow great pic=looks like a fun time!

HuntNHookSports
10-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Triple Crown of geese!

Nice wheel chair in the picture. If I come hunt with you guys will you push me and the dog out to the spot?

Crazy_Farmer
10-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Man you should see me push that thing through corn fields. The 4 wheels push like a dream, but damn after pushing +100pounds of gear 200-300 yards it sure makes the legs sore. We only use it when we cant drive right into the field, which is about for the next 3 months with all the rain we get.

T300WSM
10-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the birds, is there also 2 Mallards in the pic?

Crazy_Farmer
10-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Yep two drakes, the duck numbers are insane right now, we've stopped shooting them just becasue we're already tired of plucking them so we switch over to just geese. I cant believe I'm saying I'm tired of shooting ducks but it happens every year after you've had to pluck a few limits worth.

springpin
10-26-2008, 08:41 AM
looks like a good hunt.. I'm buying a shotgun this winter gonna try fowling next season.

Ian F.
10-26-2008, 11:54 AM
That's just too cool!

Is that cart of yours a home brew? Got any pics?

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
10-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Yea, the plans are heavily stolen from alot of other guys in Oregon/Washington, with a few mods I changed.

Frames is angle iron and its 6'x3'x3'(If you build one make it about 4-6 inches shorter becuase I can almost not reach the bottom)

Anyways, sleeping foam pad on the plywood floor, a couple cross pieces and inch steel axle with nut welding into the end to accept a bike tire bolt.(Most guys use a tire/axle from tool stores down in the south but up here theres nothing so I had to rob for bicycle tires)

Put insulting pipe around edges and 3' gardening plastic fencing around it held all together by zap straps.

I just added a couple handles so its easier to pick up and turn corners, also theres a 4 inch pipe to hold all the decoy stakes.

Its surpising light even when we load it up with with 4 dz decoys, 3 layouts and blind bags and guns on top. The 4 wheels spread the weight out great. I normally strap it down in our 6x10 enclosed trailer but if we cant go out we can push it in.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/cart_640x480.jpg

We'll make an better version during next summer with mods that include

- 4-6 inches shorter
- a foot of plywood lining the sides at the bottom becuase the decoys push against the tires
- Maybe buy some proper axles and tires from friends down in Oregon

f350ps
10-26-2008, 02:44 PM
That's an awesome set up CF! Gonna have to get busy and build one. Where did you get the bags for yer goose decoys, I'm looking for 3 Dz. K

Crazy_Farmer
10-26-2008, 03:46 PM
They're from dsd, about 5 bucks a bag for lesser ones and 6 each for honkers ones. I think they were cheaper on sale when we got them, but some guys just run pillow cases from walmart or make their own from fabric. They do take longer to pack/unpack but they are the best protection for decoys in the long run. We used to run 6 slot avery bags with ghgs and they worked great for walking in a bunch of decoys at a time.