PDA

View Full Version : What's your favourite quad?

Ben Fougere
09-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, thinking about buying a quad for hunting, but can't decide which one. So far it's been a toss up between the arctic cat v2 650, polaris sportsman 800, and honda foreman 350. Having no knowledge of quads what so ever it would help if everyone could voice their opinion on these three types of quads.

Foxer
09-14-2005, 02:00 AM
I think an 800 might be a handfull if it's your first quad. But i'm hardly a hard core expert :)

heybert
09-14-2005, 06:59 AM
what are you using it for? If it's for hunting puposes, I'm partial to the bears specifically the Yamaha Kodiak 450. 4 wheel indepedent suspension, locking diff, 2 or 4 wheel drive, and all the power you need to pull out a moose. The Honda Foreman 500 is not bad either, but I'd still go with the Kodiak

Ronforca
09-14-2005, 07:01 AM
We have had four Quads.All makes are good.For hunting I would not go bigger than a 500 cc.I ride a Polaris because I like them but that does not mean that they are the best.
Make sure that you buy one with independent suspension as they ride better and you are less likely apt to tip on side hills.I tipped once and it is no fun lying under youd Quad.It is also hard on your rifle.
The automatic is also nice as you just sit there and pour the coal to your machine.Seems to work better in snow and climbing.
Now before everybody jumps on me ,this is just my opinion and other people
have different ones.

Fred
09-14-2005, 08:53 AM
!974 to 86 Chev 4X4 with a locker in theback and a posi in the front! :roll: :biggrin: Fred

Gateholio
09-14-2005, 09:24 AM
what are you using it for? If it's for hunting puposes, I'm partial to the bears specifically the Yamaha Kodiak 450. 4 wheel indepedent suspension, locking diff, 2 or 4 wheel drive, and all the power you need to pull out a moose. The Honda Foreman 500 is not bad either, but I'd still go with the Kodiak

That's the quad I want ot buy...:mrgreen:

No I just have to wait for one of those Yamaha 0% interest deals...:mrgreen: I'd love to get one for this season.

Ben Fougere
09-14-2005, 09:36 AM
I'll be using it for hunting and fishing and probably some playing around

BlacktailStalker
09-14-2005, 11:14 AM
I've been reading these posts for a long time but have only recently added my input, of course everyone has a personal preference so this is just my 2 cents... Polaris has a reputaion of being untrustworthy, as well as Bomardier. I too am considering a quad and the ones I would consider looking at are the Yamaha Kodaik 450 or the Honda 500. The reason is I used to work at a mortorsports dealer locally here and I constantly saw the bulletins and faxes regarding all the available manufacturers products, customer complaints and praises and just things that I have seen. Honda is infamous for being extremely reliable, with minimal repairs or hiccups. Yamaha is very close behind, I found the 450 my favorite to ride around on as it was smooth and had sufficient power. PErsonalyl I would think a 350 is a bit small as if you had a second person on their or a big mule deer or moose etc, you might find it lagging a bit in the power department. An 800 would be overkill, you'd have to carry an extra jerry can of gas with you, as I know a few guys who have 600's and they regrett going that big. Also the bigger ones are heavier, and without a winch its not a fun job getting them unstuck! A 450 or 500 seems to be just right, the gas tanks big enough where a second tank usually isnt required and still has adequate power for any potential jobs you may need it for. I'm seriously looking at the Honda trx500. I hope this helps or gives you some things to consider that you may not have thought of.
Good luck this year everyone!

todbartell
09-14-2005, 11:39 AM
I really like the Honda 450 ES, verrry nice quad :mrgreen:

Gus
09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
I own an older 300 polaris (1997), and its definitely hauled out its share of moose and deer with out any problems. But personally, my next quad is going to be the foreman. I've used them alot for work and it just seems like you can't hurt them. I don't think a quad can go through a worse punishment then being used for forestry, and yet the foremans keep going. They also have more then enough power in the lower gears then you should need for hunting. As far as the ES goes, I've heard there can be problems with it if you end up being in alot of water holes and wet weather.

i6s1
09-14-2005, 12:27 PM
!974 to 86 Chev 4X4 with a locker in theback and a posi in the front! :roll: :biggrin: Fred

No way, get a solid front axle.

Maxx
09-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Honda all the way. No need for anything over 400 -500cc for hunting,

I have a foreman 450, has been ultra reliable since 97, had a 300 for 7 years before that with no problems,

brotherjack
09-14-2005, 01:34 PM
Hey guys, thinking about buying a quad for hunting,

When faced with the same kinds of questions, I bought a Chevy Tracker 4x4 (same thing as a Suzuki Sidekick or Geo Tracker). In theory, a quad can get through some tighter places than I could in the Tracker, but in practice, I've run every quad trail I've ever seen, and no problems (though I have big knobby mud tires on it - I don't think I could pull half the stuff I've done on all-terrain's or street tires).

I also have a heater, a roof, seating for 4, and I can haul an elk or moose home in one trip. The 8 to 9 litres of gas per 100km doesn't hurt my feelings either, nor does the comfort factor (it rides very nicely on and off-road).

Oh, and my 98 tracker in super-clean shape was cheaper than most Quad's, and the savings in gas over my F150 for a daily-driver means it actually was free. :)

Just food for thought...

Duner
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
DO NOT BUY AN ARTIC CAT

They have a major flaw in their braking system. I was talking to a guide up at Sun Peaks and two brand new Artic Cat 450s (only 700 mi) had broken their master cylinders. He was riding a Bombardier, and he said those are good atv's with a nice stiff rear suspension. I would go for the Honda 350 because they handle well and 350 is more than enough power because it is lighter than the bigger quads with bigger engines. Honda is the only ATV manufacturer that uses hydralic brakes while having a cable brake as well. This will save your ass especially if you buy an auto tranny.

Hope this helps...
Good Luck

NEEHAMA
09-14-2005, 02:37 PM
go with the $500.00 three wheeler trike big red baby! very dangerous!! very exciting!!
just making it back to your hunt camp alive and without a broken collar bone is a thrill!!

Ronforca
09-14-2005, 02:40 PM
Lets get some discussion going here.I rode a 350 cc two stroke Polaris and it never let me down once.We ride 12 months a year and lots of days put over 70 miles on our Quads.I used to have a trailer that was 8 ft.long,3.6 ft.wide and 2 and a half feet high.I would fill it heaping with wet Maple and never look back.I don't know if all Quads come out of 4x4 but it did and it would go in 2 wheel drive where lots had to go to 4x4.When it spun its wheels all four spun without having to do anything as long as it was in 4 wheel dr.,when in 4 wheel dr.it stayed in 2 wh.dr unless it started to spin and the power went to the wheel that needed it.Sometimes all four.
Polaris was the first with disc brakes,brake lights and running boards to mention a few things.
They say that they have problems but they are very popular in Can.and the U.S.A.and I never see any more problems than normal.I ride with people on Suzuki,Honda,Yamaha and Bombardier and they are all good.I have another Polaris and none of them ride as good as it.
That should of stirred up a Hornets nest.

BlacktailStalker
09-14-2005, 04:03 PM
LoL no hornets nests, just differences of opinion. To each his own!

ruger#1
09-14-2005, 04:05 PM
well im going to stick with my ford F650. if i cant go over it im going to go through it, if its in the way , it will be squashed, so stay out of my way.

talver
09-14-2005, 04:44 PM
660 Grizzly

Barracuda
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
No way, get a solid front axle.

they are straight axle trucks!! as far as i know the ifs chevs came out in 88 .

rageous
09-14-2005, 05:36 PM
i use a honda big red atc, they are a little tippy but heh your hunting not racing around, can't haul as much as atv, still packed out half a moose this year, but the reason i still have one is because they're super economical, ride all day long and use a maybe 2-3 litres of gas probably around 100kms, you can find a good one between 1000-1500, try to find a good quad for that! if your just puttin around logging roads, you cant beat and old honda 3 wheeler,

ratherbefishin
09-14-2005, 06:50 PM
what about the side by side seaters?

friendlyfisher
09-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I beleive last year the suzuki 400 eiger won the 400 class challenge through ATV magazine Honda is probaly the best bike but severly over priced I would personaly say any of the asian bikes are better than the domestic ones they seem to have bike biulding down to a science.Remember the bigger the bike the more fuel you will burn.

Fred
09-14-2005, 08:20 PM
Quite right Barracuda. Those early Chevs had the Dana 44 or 60 front ends and very seldom gave trouble.
Several years ago I had a Honda trike with the 110cc engine. I never had any problems with handling but then I got the racing bug out of my system when I was in my 20's. Now I have a Honda CT90 and a Suzuki DR100 to play with. When EX has to stop for trees, I am gone baby!! :mrgreen: Fred

bosskiller
09-14-2005, 11:18 PM
i've got a brand new arctic cat 400 and so does my brother, both bought before the hunting show at tradex. I ride it every weekend and had no problems with the braking system. Everything works fine on it. Very nice ride and has the hightest clearance. Already hauled two bears, a moose, and three nice 4x4 mulies. Only complaint, too expensive but i out rode a yamaha kodiak 450 and honda fourtrax, all our quads 2005.

K-1
09-15-2005, 07:35 PM
Polaris 400 Sportsman 2001 mod.,,,275.2 hr.,,,1880.6 miles,no problems yet.!!!!

Tarp Man
09-16-2005, 08:24 AM
My hunting buddy and I use Honda 350's. They are great on gas, and are 4WD and are not electric shift. We have used them to haul moose, deer, and bear. The smaller quad means that getting out of tricky situations my yourself is a far more likely proposition. We have discussed looking for a 450, but there is a significant price jump from the 350 to 450. Who knows, but these bikes have a great rep. My buddy sold his Yamaha Grizzly, and bought the second 350 as the Grizzly has a higher center of gravity and tipped much easier. Our friends up in Fort St. John put an average of 10,000 kms on their hondas and have nothing but good to say about them. this is after getting rid of their Polaris and Suzuki. But ride everything, and pick what fits you best.
-Tarp Man

rock
09-16-2005, 09:09 AM
I own 300 susuki 2000 never had any trouble with it, it has independent suspension 2wd/ 4wd/ and dif lock, great for traction and can basically goes anywhere.

Murder
09-28-2006, 10:54 AM
I've been reading these posts for a long time but have only recently added my input, of course everyone has a personal preference so this is just my 2 cents... Polaris has a reputaion of being untrustworthy, as well as Bomardier. I too am considering a quad and the ones I would consider looking at are the Yamaha Kodaik 450 or the Honda 500. The reason is I used to work at a mortorsports dealer locally here and I constantly saw the bulletins and faxes regarding all the available manufacturers products, customer complaints and praises and just things that I have seen. Honda is infamous for being extremely reliable, with minimal repairs or hiccups. Yamaha is very close behind, I found the 450 my favorite to ride around on as it was smooth and had sufficient power. PErsonalyl I would think a 350 is a bit small as if you had a second person on their or a big mule deer or moose etc, you might find it lagging a bit in the power department. An 800 would be overkill, you'd have to carry an extra jerry can of gas with you, as I know a few guys who have 600's and they regrett going that big. Also the bigger ones are heavier, and without a winch its not a fun job getting them unstuck! A 450 or 500 seems to be just right, the gas tanks big enough where a second tank usually isnt required and still has adequate power for any potential jobs you may need it for. I'm seriously looking at the Honda trx500. I hope this helps or gives you some things to consider that you may not have thought of.
Good luck this year everyone!

Did you get the Honda? Think I saw you driving today with a Camo Quad in the box.

browningboy
09-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Grizzly 700EFi all the way, it blows my friends new honda off the road and handling

JMac
09-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Just a side bar about my quad or should I say biped. LOL
Size 9 Meindl Canada pro's, tatonka external packframe, and a whole lotta stubborness and f***in determination!

BrowningBar
09-29-2006, 11:44 PM
i'd go with the arctic cat v2 650 or 700

Brambles
09-30-2006, 03:59 AM
If you can afford the Polaris 800 then I would tell you to get the Suzuki King Quad 700 EFI. You'll need new tires because the stock ones suck but for the price you cant get a better thought out quad.

Suzuki Vinson 500 is a great quad too, I know a few guys with these and they are bulletproof.

Polaris, I always hear people saying that they are unreliable but I've had 3 and neither has let me down, everyone that I talked to that owns them loves them, I'd get the 500 H.O. the bigger ones don't have a back up recoil starter.

Basically everyone makes a good quad these days, just picking the one that has the options and features you want. I say the king quad because when I build the perfect bike in my mind the king quad is the only one that has all the features, of course yamaha has a new grizzly efi out now so that might be an option too. The bombarider 800 is just too expensive but its the biggest and fastest utility quad ever built.

BlacktailStalker
09-30-2006, 10:21 AM
My camo Yamaha Grizz 700. EFI and power steering folks. Its all about the power steering now, no more pinball effect! Yeah, stock tires on quads definitely suck.

browningboy
10-01-2006, 09:08 AM
My Yammy 700 with the power steering kicks ass, but for reliability my old 660 had 7000km and I never had to touch it minus maintenence and it went through hell, muskeg hell up north! So coodes to the yammy!

RiverOtter
10-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Polaris, I always hear people saying that they are unreliable but I've had 3 and neither has let me down, everyone that I talked to that owns them loves them, I'd get the 500 H.O. the bigger ones don't have a back up recoil starter..

Somebody forgot to tell my 01 500 H.O. about the undependabillity issue, because it just turned over 7700 km's with only 2 cv boots and a valve cover gasket(which warranty covered). I have ridden with the 6-800 cc quads and for the "usable" difference in power, the fuel economy difference was stark. My 500 will wind up to 85 kms/hr+ which is stupid fast for anyone who values their hide, can't imagine wanting/needing to have to go faster than that. I run a trapline with mine and 80-100k in a day is not uncommon, so ride is a big factor for me and Polaris shines the brightest in this area(I have borrowed Foreman's, Grizzly's, Vinsons, and a 500 Arctic Cat Independant for comparison)

Basically everyone makes a good quad these days, just picking the one that has the options and features you want.

Mostly true, but I would strongly suggest steering clear of Arctic Cats. The three I have seen owned by pards all have over heating problems, 2 2002 500's with independant suspension and a new Prowler side by side. Bombadier has never turned me on either, but with a 3 year warranty, I have to wonder if maybe they are building a reliable quad.

RO

rocksteady
10-01-2006, 10:16 AM
I have a Bombi 650 Quest and love it...

Had it for over 3 years now and I only had toreplace the battery (my own fault, I let it freeze) and the battery rubber straps.....

Goes almost anywhere, goes fast when I want it to, big enough to pack me and the wife, also strong enough that I can throw half a bull elk on the rear rack and drive it out no problem (been there, done that).....

I would recommend them

youngfellla
10-01-2006, 10:27 AM
I own 2005 660 Grizzly, now 2600 km's and no problems as of yet, just regular maintenance, and I've never been gentle with it. My last quad was a Honda Foreman 450, had over 10,000 k when I sold it. Awesome machine.

My dad is currently riding a 2000 600 Grizzly with 9800 kms on it, still running strong and never been to the shop, except for cosmetic damage8-)

Rock Doctor
10-01-2006, 12:11 PM
I still have a Honda 300FW that I bought in Oct of '88, so I guess that puts it at about 18yrs old. It's done just about everything, and survived. Some of the things it's done and survived include: Cartwheeling down the side of mountians, Being stuck up to the handlebars in muskeg(numerous times), Floated away down rivers(normally upsidedown, once it went under the Ice on the Muskwa River in the spring), it did a backflip out of my truck once(rough road and quad not tied down), Dropped from a helicopter sling(landed in a swamp)
This thing has not had an easy life, and yes I have had to make some major repaires, but nothing holds up like a HONDA. IMHO.

Franko Manini
10-01-2006, 02:22 PM
I still have a Honda 300FW that I bought in Oct of '88, so I guess that puts it at about 18yrs old. It's done just about everything, and survived. Some of the things it's done and survived include: Cartwheeling down the side of mountians, Being stuck up to the handlebars in muskeg(numerous times), Floated away down rivers(normally upsidedown, once it went under the Ice on the Muskwa River in the spring), it did a backflip out of my truck once(rough road and quad not tied down), Dropped from a helicopter sling(landed in a swamp)
This thing has not had an easy life, and yes I have had to make some major repaires, but nothing holds up like a HONDA. IMHO.

Remind me of this when you put it up for sale!

mntman
10-01-2006, 06:28 PM
You need to judge your experiance, the bigger the machine the more trouble you can get into. The independant is a must and a winch is always great. If you are fine with the big machines the the new 700 yam is the year round winner of atv of the year, with tons of extras on them they are great for hunting and fishing and all around play, but you will pay in price. the 360 is another great machine and will also do all that you could want, and you save in the wallet.

Mark_S
10-01-2006, 06:49 PM
I'm not a fan of the IFS quads. The more weight you load on them the less ground clearance you have. I really love my 450 foreman S. My old man has a 2004 660 grizzly and it has awesome power and does nice catwalks when I want to play but it rides too soft for me. It leans way out on corners and freaks the heck out of me. I do love the selectable 4 wheel drive and the front diff lock.

Fisher-Dude
10-01-2006, 09:04 PM
I've got a '99 Polaris Sportsman 500 and I love it! It has 4000+ hard miles on it (including snowplowing 3 neighbours' places) and it purrs like a kitten. It also gets 25 - 30 mpg (compared to my buddy's Grizzly which gets 15 mpg with a tail wind). The Polaris ride is second to none, and I've loaded it up with all my gear, me, and 2 deer and done 75 kph without handling problems. There are those who like their solid axle quads, but I've yet to see an instance where 3 wheels on the ground (solid axle) is better than 4 wheels on the ground (independent). As soon as your low side tire falls into a hole when you are sidehilling with a solid axle, the top wheel lifts off the ground and the quad wants to tip! Not for me thanks! Hit a bump with one tire while climbing with a solid axle, and both wheels leave the ground, there goes your traction. There's a reason that military vehicles, Hummers, and the best rock crawler 4x4's have 4 wheel independant suspension...it's just better, always.

Oh, and by the way, the part for your Japanese quad should be here in about 6 - 8 weeks sir, and yes, it costs about three times as much as the same one for a domestic quad.

brno375
10-01-2006, 09:53 PM
I use a Yamaha 450 and it has never let me down. I have also been happy with a Yamaha 250 Timberwolf 2wd and a Honda ATC.

My advice is to get one with a winch if you get a 400+ cc 4x4, or you can go with a lightweight 2wd 200-250cc. You would be suprised what one of those "little" machines can do. If you do get stuck, jump off and yank them out by hand; try that with a 600+ pound machine. One with footboards is a must.

I would stick to Japanese, but that's just me.

Look in the Buy&Sell. Whichever quads you do not see are probably the good ones!

Good luck with your search.