PDA

View Full Version : Oldest son gets 3rd Mulie

sparky300winmag
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Well we got back from our deer/moose hunt up by Clinton on Monday.It was a great trip.My oldest son shot his 2nd Mulie this year he's 14yr old.We hadn't seen much for deer and this was a new area for me, so had to get a feel for the area, but on the 3rd day we connected.
My youngest son spotted a buck in the timber , and they both jumped out and franticly started to load their rifles.Usually the rule is he who spots, gets first shot.BUT.. my 12 yr was having a problem getting his clip in his .308 and my oldest said..he tried to wait , but the buck made a step to go , so he cranked it through the heart.Well , i have to tell you its hard to keep the peace when this happens between two youngsters.I told my oldest he should have let Mitch get the shot , and he said he tried to wait ,so its a lesson learned for the boys.
We found what we thought was a good spot for a chance of getting a buck.Lots of sign ( buck tracks) , good cover and a good high spot.We walked the timber a day or two earlier,found beds and such . but no sign of a deer. Well the last night we figured we would drive up to this spot and see if we could spot something.The last 5 min of shooting light i spot a deer behind a tree.I put up the binos and there's a buck ,i didn't wait to see how big , i just told Mitch to get out and that there's a buck. By the time he was trying to get set up for a shot , the buck didn't wait around any longer and with a few bounds was gone.We only saw the two bucks .
My friends grandson had a moose draw.He spotted a couple bulls ,one an immy , which he couldn't get a shot at and on the last afternoon he spotted a bigger bull , but it was out of range and running out of daylight,so no shot.Again the next morning he spotted it again , but again too thick to get a shot and we were leaving in 1/2 hr.All in all , we had a good trip and at least the young hunter with the moose draw had a couple of chances.
Thats it for their hunting this year.My oldest got that buck and a 2 pt in Princeton youth season.My 12 yr old had SEVERAL shots a 2pt, 3pt and a 4pt in Princeton.So thats how it goes in HUNTING.I have one more 1 week trip to go on in a few weeks and try to fill a Mulie tag and a Whitey tag.I haven't had any luck so far,so i hope that changes.I'll try to post a pics if i can figure out how to make them smaller.

sparky300winmag
10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Try this for his pic http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee157/sparky300winmag/Blakes%20buck%20and%20a%20sheep/picsOct42008052.jpg

TIKA 300
10-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Sweet buck...Good on ya dad for getting your sons out and involved.

Steeleco
10-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Well done, are you guys going to leave some for the rest of us ;-);-)

hunter1947
10-25-2008, 04:02 AM
Wow you and your sons had a very successfully hunting trip ,will be nice to see some pic when you get them up on the site.

Shooter Jr.
10-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Good looking buck there.