PDA

View Full Version : Mule deer help!!

Island Blacktail
10-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Planning on going to the mainland for the first time for a mule deer hunt. I only have 5 days off from work at the end of the season from December 5th - 10th. Not looking for peoples local hot spots just some general direction on where to maybe try for a big buck. I don't need meat so if i don't see what I'm looking for I won't be shooting. So I Probably won't be shooting. Feel free to PM me with any info that might help me. If anyone wants any info on Island Blacktail, Bear, or Elk, PM me I would be happy to help.

Thank you

10-24-2008, 08:06 PM
I blacktail,
Maximize your efforts, go to a region with any buck open, Reg 3 until the end of Oct. is open for any buck and not to far from the Island in many areas. Try above Lytton, towards Merritt. You can come in from Boston Bar or various roads off the Thompson River, if you have a quad or motor bike that can be a huge help. Check logging clearings, access the alpine if you can, call a C/O and don't be afraid to ASK Q's.
Plus do not be fussy for your first Muley, that call to a C/O could be well worth it. Ashcroft, Cache Creek, Merritt, Lower Nicola, you don't always have to go high this time of year, find does and your likely to see spikes or smaller bucks, the big boys are not around in numbers for a while, yeah the odd one gets hammered now but later is generally better.
The Rut is your best chance any where other then opening day. The Rut for the southern 1/2 of the province for M/D Starts about the 1st to 3rd week of Nov. but so does the 4pt. rule so good luck to you. I have shot bucks in all these areas from Sept. to Dec. ...
who knows you might find a new hot spot for your self.
C/T

Blainer
10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Snow may be an issue at that time of the year.
Region 8 is closed at that time,and I would concentrate in region 3.
Bostonbar to Kamloops.
pm Jelvis as he seems knowledgable and helpful.

Island Blacktail
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the feed back guys!! feel free to PM me with any info or if you want any info about Vancouver Island fishing or hunting.

Mr. Dean
10-25-2008, 12:12 AM
All I can say is carry chains (good ones).

Island Blacktail
10-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks dude

thepitchedlink
10-27-2008, 06:41 PM
WHat do you guys mean region 8 is closed? It's just 4 point now

NaStY
10-27-2008, 06:52 PM
Region 8 is open from nov 25th to dec 10th for any buck mule deer and any sex white tail. Bow only though.....

Geese and grouse are still open as well.....

johnk
10-27-2008, 06:56 PM
I was under the impression Region 8 closed Nov.10th. Is this not so?

NaStY
10-27-2008, 06:59 PM
Not for me or anyone else that reads the regs. But maybe for you though? :roll:

johnk
10-27-2008, 08:52 PM
Not for me or anyone else that reads the regs. But maybe for you though? :roll:

If you would have put a period after the second letter of your response and left it at that you may have saved yourself the anguish of looking like a complete idiot.

Now as I check my Alberta Regs I can't seem to find WMU 8. What page did you say that was on? Way too many words and not enough "stick people pictures" which is about the limitations of my intelligence. Sorry you have to endure so much inferiority in your daily world:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Up until my move this past spring I lived in, scouted and hunted Region 3 exclusively. Have never hunted Region 8 and never had the desire or the need which is why my post began with "I thought...."

NaStY
10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
If you would have put a period after the second letter of your response and left it at that you may have saved yourself the anguish of looking like a complete idiot.

Now as I check my Alberta Regs I can't seem to find WMU 8. What page did you say that was on? Way too many words and not enough "stick people pictures" which is about the limitations of my intelligence. Sorry you have to endure so much inferiority in your daily world:tongue::tongue::tongue:

Up until my move this past spring I lived in, scouted and hunted Region 3 exclusively. Have never hunted Region 8 and never had the desire or the need which is why my post began with "I thought...."

Ummm in case you didn't notice. This is British Columbia sooosoosooos and IDIOT im not, but thanks for the compliment.:roll:

Its in the BC simnopsys page 87. Its a great read. Try it some time....:mrgreen:

wsm
10-27-2008, 08:57 PM
indian gardens to cherry cr. south of kamloops lake. my .02 cents

johnk
10-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Ummm in case you didn't notice. This is British Columbia sooosoosooos and IDIOT im not, but thanks for the compliment.:roll:

Its in the BC simnopsys page 87. Its a great read. Try it some time....:mrgreen:

As soon as "Hooked on Phonics" sends me my diploma I'm going to take you up on that! Thanks for the suggestion!:p

S Y N O P S I S!;-)

NaStY
10-27-2008, 09:26 PM
As soon as "Hooked on Phonics" sends me my diploma I'm going to take you up on that! Thanks for the suggestion!:p

S Y N O P S I S!;-)

At least i can read ok. Maybe with your phonics and my reading we could pass 3rd grade eh.....

Alpine Addict
10-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Im sure you both are good at reading, I wish you both the best! Back to hunting, like curly top said region 3 is the place. I have had good luck in lytton and seen many bucks from sept-dec. Between lytton and lilleot, that mountain range has alot of deer and bear. concentrate on slashes and the grassy slopes then its all up to your shooting from there!

wsm
10-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Im sure you both are good at reading, I wish you both the best! Back to hunting, like curly top said region 3 is the place. I have had good luck in lytton and seen many bucks from sept-dec. Between lytton and lilleot, that mountain range has alot of deer and bear. concentrate on slashes and the grassy slopes then its all up to your shooting from there!
if your going up murray cr FSR in dec then i reccomend good chains FOUR of them. AND FOR THE TRAILER IF YOU PULLING ONE