PDA

View Full Version : Bucks up high everywhere or just cause of pressure?

ElectricDyck
10-24-2008, 09:47 AM
I'm going to be be hunting a small very isolated area next week with lots of sign and deer. With all the talk of bucks being up high till the snow pushes them down I was wondering if this applies to all areas or just areas with pressure and/or migration routes. This area is not a migration route and I suspect the deer are local and stay there year round. This area sees little pressure. Last time I was there (about a month ago) I only saw does, but I didn't hunt any of the higher elevation areas. Should I just look for the does again and hope to find a trailing buck or check out some of the higher elevation areas?

Leaseman
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
In my opinion, you are right on the boarder of the rut.... last weekend we saw most animals at the 4-5,000 foot level. All small bucks, does and yearlings.... the big boys (we spotted 2 or 3) were up over the 6,000 foot level.... only trace-3 inches of snow.... this was in region 8, west side!

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Come Monday I'll be sittin' on top of a moutain that's 6000+ feet. I'm hoping that the view will be good. :wink:

...... Hopefully there will be a Grouse or 2. :lol:

curt
10-25-2008, 05:17 PM
I always start high then move down typically they stay up till they have reason to move in my experiences anyway.

killman
10-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Won't (in a few weeks) they will be where the girls are?:wink:

boxhitch
10-25-2008, 09:33 PM
There are lots of girlie types at the high elevations also. They all seem to get pregnant, low or high.
They are where you find them