PDA

View Full Version : A little unexpected bonus (pics)

ibehuntin
10-23-2008, 10:39 PM
Went out deer hunting this morning. I arrived at my spot a little early so I decided to go for a little drive to kill some time. Long story short I ended in a large cut block over looking a long chain of sloughs. I left the truck on foot and walked ridge so I could glass the block below. I was almost back to the truck when from down below I hear a howl followed What sounds like 10 others all howling at once. I know there close because I can hear them splashing through the water. So I think, if I can just get them to come out to the tree line I might get a crack at one (400yds). So I howl back and they go dead quite so I try my bleat can but it doesn't seem loud enough. So I glass for 10 min before deciding that I need a louder call and head back to the truck. Now back at the truck I dig in my pack and find a cow elk call and remember the time I called in a couger with it and decide that it could work. So I wail on the call for 5 mins trying to sound like a very distressed cow elk. I go for my binos to have another look below when out of the coner of my eye I spot something pop out on the road about 70 yds from me. Holy crap its a wolf and hes not where I expected him to show up. Crap where is my gun? I retrive my 338 just as he slips off the road but not out of sight. Boom, and he starts spining donuts. Boom, and he's down. Wow. I take some pics load him in the truck and off to taxidermists ( 2.5 hr drive). Did not get a chance to weigh him but 5 mins after arriving at the studio a fellow from Kimberly shows up with another wolf, this one a very large female that weighs 93 lbs. Comparing the two we decide mine is in the 115-120 lb range and 3-5 years old. The taxidermist says he is conffident it will make the BC book. I guess well find out when he gets it skinned out. But with beautiful thick hair he will make a fine rug.

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010078.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010083.jpg

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg15/ibehuntin/P1010086.jpg

todbartell
10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
great looking wolf! congrats

TIKA 300
10-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Another 1 bites the dust,good on ya,congrats.

boonerbuck
10-23-2008, 11:13 PM
That wolf has a big head, real nice one!

twoSevenO
10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
wow that is such an amazing looking wolf. You sir, are one lucky (skilled) hunter!!!!!

So nice!

Jagermeister
10-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Did the Kimberly hunter get his in the same area? Maybe you got the aplha male and maybe he got the alpha female, that sure would give the pack a tail spin. I forgot to mention congrats on a fne kill. We all thank wolf hunters for saving ungulates.

bsa30-06
10-23-2008, 11:29 PM
that is an awesome wolf,congrats.

dave_fras
10-24-2008, 05:05 AM
ive only ever seen 1 wolf one my life... and he took off like a sob!! haha

hunter1947
10-24-2008, 05:55 AM
That is one very nice wolf you got there ,well done.

kayjayess
10-24-2008, 06:27 AM
Right on man. Nice job on calling that thing in. Pretty gratifying heh? He will be a beauty. Are you just tanning the hide or having the full thing done with the head and all? Either way awesome trophy. Is this the first wolf kill and have you seen many more around?

I have seen and shot at a few wolves over the years but they are super cagey. Always shooting at them on the dead run and although close never successful. Congrats again.

Ride
10-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Beauty wolf. Good size. Sure are a few of those beasts hitting the ground this year.

doubled
10-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Wow, that is awesome. Have only ever seen one wolf and it was an albino. As soon as I was ready to shoot, it took off a hundred miles an hour.

sneg
10-24-2008, 07:50 AM
great animal.congrats

rocksteady
10-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Congrats...That should make a very nice rug or mount.....

.338 is a little more gun than I would use for hunting predators, but at least you know he wasn't going far.....:eek:

My neighbor shot one last year with his bow on opening day of elk season, he was sitting in his tree stand and 9 came in...He only got a shot at one, but made it count.......He said it was the worst smelling critter he had ever run into...

budismyhorse
10-24-2008, 08:21 AM
this is nuts, I have heard countless stories about wolves this year.......what kind of predator prey regime are we in right now?

congrats buddy!

KodiakHntr
10-24-2008, 08:34 AM
Wasn't aware that wolves were scored and entered into the B&C book.

newhunterette
10-24-2008, 11:35 AM
ya gotta like those bonuses

congratulations on your wolf

weatherby_man
10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Awesome!! I saw 2 large wolves up near Cache Creek a couple weeks ago but they got into the bush (running uphill at top speed) before I could scope them. Otherwise I'd have a pic as well! The 2 spilt at the tree line and then howled for about 2 mins to each other as they high-tailed it up and over the mountain.

bigwhiteys
10-24-2008, 11:46 AM
I like reading these wolf stories... Congrats to you!

Carl

The Dawg
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM
Beautiful wolf....I had a chance at one this year, but it was standing in front of Moosinarounds truck....damnit :)

BigBanger
10-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Nice Wolf man .

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 01:29 PM

Not sure about the Boone & Crockett but they are entered in the BC book. The #1 is a black and is displayed as a full-body mount; very impressive.

---------------------------------------

Congrats on your kill!

bruin
10-24-2008, 01:39 PM
That's a beautiful wolf, love the thick hide and colors. Way to go

10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Went out deer hunting this morning. I arrived at my spot a little early so I decided to go for a little drive to kill some time. Long story short I ended in a large cut block over looking a long chain of sloughs. I left the truck on foot and walked ridge so I could glass the block below. I was almost back to the truck when from down below I hear a howl followed What sounds like 10 others all howling at once. I know there close because I can hear them splashing through the water. So I think, if I can just get them to come out to the tree line I might get a crack at one (400yds). So I howl back and they go dead quite so I try my bleat can but it doesn't seem loud enough. So I glass for 10 min before deciding that I need a louder call and head back to the truck. Now back at the truck I dig in my pack and find a cow elk call and remember the time I called in a couger with it and decide that it could work. So I wail on the call for 5 mins trying to sound like a very distressed cow elk. I go for my binos to have another look below when out of the coner of my eye I spot something pop out on the road about 70 yds from me. Holy crap its a wolf and hes not where I expected him to show up. Crap where is my gun? I retrive my 338 just as he slips off the road but not out of sight. Boom, and he starts spining donuts. Boom, and he's down. Wow. I take some pics load him in the truck and off to taxidermists ( 2.5 hr drive). Did not get a chance to weigh him but 5 mins after arriving at the studio a fellow from Kimberly shows up with another wolf, this one a very large female that weighs 93 lbs. Comparing the two we decide mine is in the 115-120 lb range and 3-5 years old. The taxidermist says he is conffident it will make the BC book. I guess well find out when he gets it skinned out. But with beautiful thick hair he will make a fine rug.

Way to go Bill, can't wait to put a tape on him.

ibehuntin
10-24-2008, 04:58 PM
Did the Kimberly hunter get his in the same area? Maybe you got the aplha male and maybe he got the alpha female, that sure would give the pack a tail spin.
No, his was from the White river area mine was from Golden area.

[quote=kayjayess;346901]Right on man. Nice job on calling that thing in. Pretty gratifying heh? He will be a beauty. Are you just tanning the hide or having the full thing done with the head and all? Either way awesome trophy. Is this the first wolf kill and have you seen many more around?

Very gratifying. Full rug with closed mouth, teath showing (snarling). We have no shortage of wolves around here. I saw a black one the other day but just as he darted across the road. I'm guessing there was at least 8-10 others with this one from the howls although I never seen them.

[quote]
338 is a little more gun than I would use for hunting predators, but at least you know he wasn't going far.....:eek:
I guess its just a matter of whats at hand when the opportunity arrises.:biggrin:

BC records book.

Way to go Bill, can't wait to put a tape on him.
Phil said he should have the skull cleaned and shipped back sometime in the next week or so. I'm very interested to see what it willl score. So as soon as it gets back I'll be giving you a dingle.

hannibal
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
very cool, great looking doggy.

boxhitch
10-24-2008, 05:23 PM
Ungulate enhancement stories always are good to hear. Attago

Maybe you got the aplha male and maybe he got the alpha female, that sure would give the pack a tail spin. Point of interest (or not) The Alphas are what hold the pack or family together. When either Alpha is out of the picture the group splits, and possibly each of the males go on to build up another pack, even with siblings as partners.
Best scenario for Ungulate Enhancement is to leave the Alphas to live and lead, but whack the sh__ out of the rest of the pack.

But a rug is a good scenario in itself.

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 06:45 PM
Whack a Wolf...... Win a prize!
On http://www.predatorhuntcanada.ca/

Or so I here...

10-24-2008, 08:19 PM
this is nuts, I have heard countless stories about wolves this year.......what kind of predator prey regime are we in right now?

Maybe the ranchers found their answer to homesteader elk..???

Blainer
10-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Good on ya

Kody94
10-24-2008, 08:30 PM
budismyhorse, 6616:
I finally saw my first south country wolves last weekend (same morning you witnessed my wide turning radius bud!). Only saw two but there had to be a half dozen or more in the vicinity based on the howling. If I was a better road hunter I would have gotten one of them for sure. :)

springpin
10-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Nice wolf. where abouts did you get him?

Chad

Shooter Jr.
10-25-2008, 09:02 PM
Congratulations, She's a beauty of a wolf

ibehuntin
10-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Nice wolf. where abouts did you get him?

Chad

Out past the Ozone.

and

Yes, there is such a place.

moosinaround
10-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Beautiful wolf....I had a chance at one this year, but it was standing in front of Moosinarounds truck....damnit :)
Dawg, that would have been a beauty rug, black hide to boot! Awe well lets shoot a moose instaed. Then we can get us some MULIES!!! Moosin around soon to be known as a RUBBANOZEKILLA!

In4TheHunt
10-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Nice job, I thought wolves were harder to hunt than that.

But I guess Right place Right ,Time makes for NICE RUG.LOL

NICE DOG
Cheers

10-26-2008, 03:16 PM
budismyhorse, 6616:
I finally saw my first south country wolves last weekend (same morning you witnessed my wide turning radius bud!). Only saw two but there had to be a half dozen or more in the vicinity based on the howling. If I was a better road hunter I would have gotten one of them for sure. :)

Hunters from all areas up and down the Trench are telling me they're seeing more wolves this year then ever before.

rutting bull
10-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Nice work on that Bill! We will share moose stories when i see ya mule deer hunting this year!

John

rageous
10-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Congrats on the wolf. Got a wolf will moose hunting this year aswell.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd214/rageous_01/PinkMountain08-09128.jpg

Jelvis
10-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Lots of predators out there eating all the game lately, especially the big bad wolf type. Hey!
Good harvesting hunters great pictures too.
Jel-those-predators gotta go.

ibehuntin
10-26-2008, 09:12 PM
Congrats on the wolf. Got a wolf will moose hunting this year aswell.

Nice wolf rageous! What region/zone were you moose huntin in?

rageous
10-26-2008, 09:23 PM
What region/zone were you moose huntin in?

7b, Pink mountain

ibehuntin
10-26-2008, 09:30 PM
7b, Pink mountain

We were moosin just south of there this year aswell (Wonowon area) and the wolves seem to doing quite well. Wolf sign everywhere and howling in the distance nightly.

rageous
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Yup, same storey in our area, moose hunting has been pretty tough the last 2 years. Saw very few moose this year, heard the wolves every day of our two week trip. All the game we saw was very skidish. Not sure if we're going up north next year.