PDA

View Full Version : The road to success....

Gateholio
10-23-2008, 12:44 PM
This thread is dedicated to Fisher Dude.

Post your road hunting tips and techniques here:wink:

Leaseman
10-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Drive slow....look fairly hard (don't strain your eyes though), keep the radio below 19 (volume) so as not to scare the critters......

Make sure you have a drinking buddy with you to watch the other side of the road and keep you company....

crank ther heater to high so you can have the windows open to spot your prey easier...

last but not least... keep a steady hand so your drink doesnt spill on your lap!

doubled
10-23-2008, 12:51 PM
Mike, you nailed it to a tee. Also, keep the dog in the back seat or he will jump out when you see something. Click the seatbelt in before getting in the truck, this will allow quick access out and the seatbelt alarm does not come on either.

Dirty
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
What about optimum speed?

BCrams
10-23-2008, 12:58 PM
Diesel trucks are better than gas trucks.

Especially where logging and logging equipment occur. Wildlife have to constantly listen to diesel vehicles nearly all year. They're conditioned.....and they're not afraid of diesel trucks or the sound of a diesel.

Sitkaspruce
10-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Make sure your weapon of choice is readily available. Get the gun out of the case as soon as you get the pop things out of their case. Do this as soon as you leave the pavement.

Make sure your wipers work:shock::wink:

Tell your partner that he has to keep his seatbelt on to shut up the no seatbelt alarm:tongue:

carry a shooting stick or mono pod as you are not allowed to use a vehicle for a shooting rest.......

Pre mount your spotter on the window, but keep the window down as the weight is hard on the glass when hitting bumps or cross ditches.:eek:

There is a few more, but since I do not road hunt much any more, I forget them.....but this thread will remind me of how much fun it can be:razz::smile:

Cheers

SS

MB_Boy
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Ensure you are "head to toe" in "technologically advanced, scent blocker, gore-tex, layered, all-season" camo.
Do not forget to paint your face as per the weather...if it is cloudy you won't get that glare off the windshield to "hide you" from your quarry.
Spend at least $500.00 on good hiking boots that are most definitely broken in first while mowing the lawn on your riding mower.
A solid investment in an expensive pack is a must to get your lunch, CD's (8tracks for some), beer, thermos', calls, maps, Field and Stream magazines, cell phone, toilet paper, laptop and portable DVD player from your front step to the truck.
Never ever forget your "crocs" just in case you spill a beverage that runs down your leg into your boots. I would recommend wearing them in the truck...they are out of sight to other "roadies". However, NEVER ever take more than 5 steps from your truck without your boots on unless you are retrieving a "necessity" from the back of your truck; something like 'Free Willy 3' to watch for the afternoon hunt.
"If" a shot presents itself and you happen to get a rain drop or moisture on your gun; ensure it is thoroughly cleaned before replacing it in your vehicle.
Remember....the guys with BIG truck get more game; that's why they have BIG trucks. Mimic their movements and style for guaranteed success.
Oh...and ensure your thermostat and heating/cooling system is checked well prior to the season so that you are NEVER uncomfortable in the "elements".

Brett
10-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Is road hunting sponsored by Budweiser? the empties have me thinking it is.

shantz
10-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Making sure you have a cup holder in reach so when you see something you have somewhere to put your drink is key.

Also make sure the truck is in park or the parking brake is on when you get out. I had to tow a guys truck out of the ditch when I was younger on the Charlottes.

BCrams
10-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Wear your camo and put on your serious look when driving by people.

Leaseman
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Wit hthe talks of trucks, make sure your truck is an automatic.... standard trans can get in the way of holding your drink, smoking and reaching for the last donut!

Cup holders aren't required if you spot something first... just pass your beverage to your partner and ask him to hang onto it for a moment... he won't spill it as he knows you will dump his out when you have to return the favor.....

With foot wear, I find that if you keep your comfy slippers in the truck and wear them all day, you dont get as tired as you do when you have to get out wearing those cumberson boots....

Camo sweats are also stylish, easy on the waist, doesn't chafe in the sensative areas when you are bouncing over those big potholes!

Another things about trucks.... make sure that they are not bigger than a 1/2 ton...suspension is softer and usually they are lower so you can get your fat ass onto the seat easier!

The Dawg
10-23-2008, 01:25 PM

x 2....or even Lucky :)

MB_Boy
10-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Wear your camo and put on your serious look when driving by people.

It would be advantageous to be well versed when you have your hand on the top of your steering wheel to understand the "etiquette" when raising the one finger wave, two finger wave etc in a "hello" type gesture. There are "niceties" as to how you may or may not know the other person and the number of fingers you SHOULD be waving with.

Just found this in reference to the "one finger wave".

"THE ONE-FINGER WAVE" - Not to be confused with "Givin um tha fingah". No, the one-finger wave is done the vast majority of the time while driving a pick-up truck. Place both or one hand if your driving on pavement, on the steering wheel. The hand or hands need to be at the top of the steering wheel and all four fingers wrapped tightly around the wheel. When you meet an oncoming vehicle of someone you might know, the index (pointy) finger shoots straight up in the air. That's a one-finger wave. The old timers have variations of that. Sometimes even when driving on dirt roads, they only use one hand while driving and they do the one-finger wave at the same time. A real road hunter can slide one or both hands up the wheel while the oncoming vehicle approaches and prepare for the one-finger wave. It has been observed although this is not recommended to try at home, a real road hunter can actually raise one arm up to about 90 degrees WITHOUT grasping the wheel and conducting a one-finger wave. AMAZING!

One more reference to the one vs. two finger wave.

So in an effort to improve back road communication, let’s review the kind of waves you can do. Practice them at home, and use them the next time you take a drive on a country road. It’s fun to mix them up and adapt them to your own personal styles.

1. The Single-Finger Wave: used when traveling at a high rate of speed, say 35 mph or more, and eye contact is minimal. Instructions: slowly raise your index finger off the steering wheel, making sure that the rest of the hand remains on the wheel. (Sometimes this wave can be complemented with a slight nod of the head for added emphasis.)

2. The Two-Finger Wave: used at lower rates of speed, and when you recognize the approaching vehicle. Use the same method as the Single-Finger Wave, but add that often-maligned middle finger. Used in tandem, these two fingers can create the country effect of that ‘60s leftover, the peace sign, (Sometimes can be complemented with at slight nod of the head,)

3. The Full – on Hand Wave: This should be used sparingly, and only when you know the other driver, lest you be mistaken for a drunken fool. Instructions: Keeping one hand securely on the steering wheel, raise the other hand, giving it a couple of short flips, or twitches, almost as if you were drawing a dry fly across the surface of the water. The brevity of this wave depends on the level of friendship you have with the other driver. For instance, a longer wave says ‘Hi neighbor, it’s great to see you… where’d you get the money to buy that truck?’ while a short wave could be translated as ‘That’s a nice truck, I’ll see you at the fair.’ (Sometimes this wave can be complemented with a slight smile or grin for added emphasis.)

rishu_pepper
10-23-2008, 01:38 PM
It would be advantageous to be well versed when you have your hand on the top of your steering wheel to understand the "etiquette" when raising the one finger wave, two finger wave etc in a "hello" type gesture. There are "niceties" as to how you may or may not know the other person and the number of fingers you SHOULD be waving with.

When in favour of a one finger wave, make sure to choose the correct finger. :roll:

A satellite dish, outfitted with the Centre Ice Package broadcasting the Wings' games (perfect timing as legal light ends when the game ends!), works well, especially in company of such person whose handle rhymes with "disher lewd". :biggrin:

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 01:40 PM

what about those double standard questions? made me think now - as Azshia and I were road hunting - we did the howdy wave as it is the code of hunters (we are well trained) and you get up to the window to window greeting and - all of a sudden the up and down looks happens and the over stare into the cab of the truck and then the question "you 2 ladies aren't out hunting are you? " and the other "All by yourselves?" now out of politeness we do the girlie thing and giggle but the look in our eyes says, "No you dumbass, we always drive with 3 rifles in the front seat and dress in full camo" and as for being by ourselves - hehehehehe guess we proved just what us little ladies can do on our own.

by the way -I was driving a big ass Dodge Deisel Mega Cab with Aerosmith cranked on the ipod (seemed the grouse really enjoyed that) my computer was at the cabin :) hehehehehehehe now if I can just purchase the new Rogers Stick for sateliite internet - I am set

okay back to the topic of road hunting - alwayssssssssss pack something a little extra in case you get stuck and have to spend the night in your truck - Brownies and Girl Guides 101 "Be prepared"

also never leave without your lipstick - photos opportunities ya know

Statler
10-23-2008, 01:41 PM
If you're going to wear full camo when driving don't forget to get camo seat covers for the truck. That way your buddy won't be able to see you taking a nap when he scopes you from the tree line while having a bud.

Mr. Dean
10-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Excellent thread - Road Hunting: A Guide For The Advanced And Novice's Alike

This one gets a bookmark!

behemoth
10-23-2008, 04:01 PM
Every time you get in the truck hit the gas pedal hard until you hit 30km/ hour. The auto locking doors will lock, but then you UNLOCK them. During these crucial 3 seconds of "non stealth" mode, open a beer so that once you are back in "stealth" mode you don't blow your cover.

MooseKnuckle
10-23-2008, 04:15 PM
Dont forget to keep your eyes open for the water bars, nothing worse than peacefully looking out at the forest then WHAM water bar, your head hits the roof your beer hits the floor ouch!

10-23-2008, 04:23 PM
And always remember Dodge Cummins only, mucyh more reliable then those funny looking Frauds and Chivey's.

boxhitch
10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
-While dozing (or devising another game plan) drop the tail gate and put down the quad ramps, so it looks like some activity is or has occured.
-One click on the e brake should shut down the daytime driving lights. If not, get it fixed. Then disconnect the Back-up lights. Now no one will know whether you are coming or going.
- to avoid disturbance, place the blaze orange "Wilderness Watch" cap on the dash. W-W bumper stickers can add effect.
- Keep the clip/magazine for rifle on your person, not where the other occupent can grab it or hide it. A common delay tactic.

anytail
10-23-2008, 08:20 PM
First thing First! One eye it to TIMS, load up on two 48packs of timbits,3x DBL DBL XL coffee & 6x 6"DBL chocolate cookies then off to pick up hunting partner and talk for the next 8hrs about the girl at the Tims counter.

browningboy
10-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Always be prepared, look at my avatar, at least 2500 pounds of beer!

Now need power windows, satelite radio with RAW DOG on keeping you laughing your ass off, seat warmers, window mounted spotting scope sensor etc.

Actually alls you need is some wheels and some lady luck.

mud-dog27
10-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Always be prepared, look at my avatar, at least 2500 pounds of beer!

Now need power windows, satelite radio with BLUE COLLAR on keeping you laughing your ass off, seat warmers, window mounted spotting scope sensor etc.

Actually alls you need is some wheels and some lady luck.

blue collar has the hunting clips, raw dogs got nothin on blue collar:biggrin:

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 08:59 PM
First thing First! One eye it to TIMS, load up on two 48packs of timbits,3x DBL DBL XL coffee & 6x 6"DBL chocolate cookies then off to pick up hunting partner and talk for the next 8hrs about the girl at the Tims counter.

OMGosh you met my husband didn't you - I swear that is what he does

open the door of his truck and timmies cups flow out like a moondoggie surfs up curler wave

anytail
10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
OMGosh you met my husband didn't you - I swear that is what he does

open the door of his truck and timmies cups flow out like a moondoggie surfs up curler wave
NO... I just know FD. :frown:

quadrakid
10-23-2008, 09:18 PM
number one mistake made when road hunting,getting out to relieve yourself for the umpteenth time and not having your shooting iron with you. you will see a nice critter,you will not have time to run to truck for rifle and you will pee all over your leg.

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 09:29 PM
number one mistake made when road hunting,getting out to relieve yourself for the umpteenth time and not having your shooting iron with you. you will see a nice critter,you will not have time to run to truck for rifle and you will pee all over your leg.

personal experience Quadra hehehehehehehe

sorry just sometimes I cant resist being a smartbutt hehehe:wink::twisted:

trailhunter
10-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Warning to all road hunters.....
-Be sure your gun barrel hasnt worn a whole through the carpet int to the sound barrier has been known to plug barrels and kill the serious road hunter.
- Dont for get to pull your mag out as soon as you see another truck
- Be sure you disconnect those pesky day time running lights
- Buy a set of door window vissors so you can open the windows and not get wet when it rains
-practice the back hand beer can toss.........keep the evidence in the bed of your pick up for everyone to see

..........there's more but im tired and im going to bed

hillclimber
10-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Wit hthe talks of trucks, make sure your truck is an automatic.... standard trans can get in the way of holding your drink, smoking and reaching for the last donut!

A real roadhunter would have mastered this.

Johnnybear
10-23-2008, 11:37 PM
All humor aside the anti's are watching this post by post:cool:. IMO the topic of drink holders and drinking ect.while out hunting just excellerates the last few threads about the j*ckass that got pulled over 3x over the limit and flashing bullets etc. Tread lightly..................

Akula
10-24-2008, 03:29 AM
You need scent control in the cab. Either the little green pine tree, or the "new car smell" one that has a picture of an 80's hair band on it. These will mix nicely with the beef jerky farts and the decaying Mcdonalds french fries wedged under the seats.

ElectricDyck
10-24-2008, 04:44 AM
We always joke about getting one of those hybrid cars, putting a carbon filter on the exhaust and painting it camo. We even invented a scent away car wash, for the serious road hunter.:biggrin:

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2008, 05:47 AM

And when I get to his place this Sunday, he'll be eating a bag of chips, at 6am, just to tide him over until he can break into the Timbits! He whines because the frosting leaks out of the bottom of the box onto his console, so a tip for newbies is to duct tape the seam on the Timbit box IF you ride with a fussy truck driver.

Make sure you raid the napkins at Timmy's, 'cause you'll be spilling coffee from those dumbass lids at some point.

Lots of good tips on here. People should pay close attention to the veteran road hunters and their success will soar.

Gatehouse, many thanks for the dedication of this thread to me - I guess I've built up a solid reputation as a ROAD HUNTER! :redface:

hunter1947
10-24-2008, 05:54 AM
FD HA HA ,how fast do you go when you road hunt :roll: ????.

How far do you shoot a animal from the logging road when you are out road hunting ??? :roll: :???:.

Fisher-Dude
10-24-2008, 06:06 AM
FD HA HA ,how fast do you go when you road hunt :roll: ????.

How far do you shoot a animal from the logging road when you are out road hunting ??? :roll: :???:.

It all depends on conditions H47. Last weekend's whitetail was spotted at about 20 kmh. He was about 100 yards from the road. I'd consider that to be optimal, as shooting directly down the road can be a safety concern, especially since that buck was only about 150 yards from a hunting camp. If possible, do as I did in this instance, and shoot your buck near another hunter's camp so they will help you drag and load it. :wink:

kayjayess
10-24-2008, 06:21 AM
Classic stuff. Absolutely Classic. Thanks for the early morning chuckle. Some good humor.

hunter1947
10-24-2008, 07:01 AM
It all depends on conditions H47. Last weekend's whitetail was spotted at about 20 kmh. He was about 100 yards from the road. I'd consider that to be optimal, as shooting directly down the road can be a safety concern, especially since that buck was only about 150 yards from a hunting camp. If possible, do as I did in this instance, and shoot your buck near another hunter's camp so they will help you drag and load it. :wink:

FD That is a very interesting answer ,I have driven my truck at about 50kl an hour when road hunting ,nomater how bad the pot holes are ,maybe I was scaring them off the roads going this fast what do you think ???.
As for shooting game animals near someones camp that is a very good idea.

I have always shot an animal when road hunting 200 yards off the road way down a step hill http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

I am learning lots from this thread ,you see even the old salties learn every day something newhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif.

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Don't forget the heated debate....barrell up Vs barrell down.

Down for loading speed.

Up for riding comfort and balance.

If you go barrell up watch for those hidden cross ditches. I knew a guy that had his barrell up and hit a cross ditch doing about 50kmh and slammed his barrell through the windshield:-D. Of course, he was driving a bouncy Dodge. Had he been in a Chevy he would have barely felt a bump.

True road hunters drive Chevy/GM's....waaaaaay smoother ride8). Got to looks after your kidneys after pounding gravel all day:roll:.

SSS

hunter1947
10-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Don't forget the heated debate....barrell up Vs barrell down.

Down for loading speed.

Up for riding comfort and balance.

If you go barrell up watch for those hidden cross ditches. I knew a guy that had his barrell up and hit a cross ditch doing about 50kmh and slammed his barrell through the windshield:-D. Of course, he was driving a bouncy Dodge. Had he been in a Chevy he would have barely felt a bump.

True road hunters drive Chevy/GM's....waaaaaay smoother ride8). Got to looks after your kidneys after pounding gravel all day:roll:.

SSS
Man O Man ,this is a real interesting thread ,I drive a ford ,maybe that has been my problem all these years ??? :roll::roll:.

doubled
10-24-2008, 07:58 AM

I have to agree with this and laugh. One time I was moving to a new location and stopped to take a leak and sure enough a cow and calf moose comes out of this trail a few yards away. They stop and I hear another crash behind them and see an immy back a few yards in my mid stream. I know I did not pee all over my self but it was an interesting scramble back to the truck to grab my rifle. I did end up getting the immy and now look around very well before relieving my self.

Mauser98
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
And for th0se long hours of sitting, don't forget the Prep-H.

This quality publication is LOADED with lots of good tips.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v403/Tiagra885/Road_Hunter.jpg

sneg
10-24-2008, 08:45 AM
I use this sure technique to nail critter. If I drive around and do not see anything... I stop ,get out of the truck,leave gun inside with windows open...go back ,open tail gate ... pull snacks and pour drinks....now you have to pretent that you forgot about hunting...have a drink...typically something will pop up just when you have drink in your hands ...if nothing - pour another drink...repeat as required till you see animal.....

ElectricDyck
10-24-2008, 09:55 AM
gun racks and rental cars, what you need to know

That's priceless! LOL:lol::lol::lol:

yote
10-24-2008, 12:35 PM
I got this advise from another similar thread and it has helped me immensly. It refers to moose but can be modified to apply to other game as well.

1) The first mistake made by rookies and guides is WALKING!!!!! All resident hunters know that a moose can tell the sound difference between 2 legs and 4 legs....So don't even try to fool them.

2) Calling is overrated also (another trick attempted by guides, mainly to impress their clients...PLAYING THE ROLE!!) Nothing calls to moose more than a good loud diesal, or a moaning buncher head...HUNT THE FRESH LOGGING!!!!

3) BE READY!!!! Rookie road hunters often take too much time to load and dismount, you'll have to quicken the pace.

4)Leave that engine running! Shutting off the truck alerts the moose and promotes running.

5) Camo is not needed, instead, get some good non chaffing joggers and a good comfy T-shirt, stay comfortable.

6) Patience, Patience, Patience!!! It may take up to an hour per moose if you are just beginning, so be patient...Rome wasn't built in a day either!!

7) Most important, put the blinders on. Look strictly on the main road and on the centerline of the roads. If he ain't straddlin' the line...Let'em walk...packing is for wannabes and guides!

With these 7 simple steps, you'll become the hero among friends, and despised among guiding camps around the country. Good hunting!

Stone Sheep Steve
10-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Forgot to mention.....that a road hunter will have a functioning Emergency Brake.....no matter how old the vehicle.....unlike the rest of the world:roll:.

SSS

eastkoot
10-24-2008, 01:47 PM
When you buy a bipod, make sure it has rubber caps on the legs so it won't scatch the paint on the hood..

bruin
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Often game is spotted near treelines or available cover where they can quickly disappear if you simply stop the vehicle. In this instance it is adventageous to hunt in pairs or groups. Do not stop or slow down but continue on to the next corner. Once out of sight turn around and drive back maintaining a speed slow enough for the passenger to get out while the vehicle is in motion (gun in hand). Once out of the vehicle the passenger should continue moving using the vehicle as a blind and load the rifle and prepare for a shot, keeping in mind that an opening must be found to make the shot. Once that opening has been found the shooter should stop while the driver continues on out of sight (be careful not to gain or lose speed as this could spook the intended quarry). The hunter should now have lots of time and opportunity for the unsuspecting animal.

budismyhorse
10-24-2008, 02:48 PM
What about optimum speed?

everyone has there own "deer gear".

Browningmirage
10-24-2008, 03:40 PM
get into heated discussions about dam near anything, and learn how to switch topics without any warning...then come back to the original discussion 1-9 hours later...also without warning...expect upwards of 15 topics in a hunt, although a topic can be repeated without limit

hannibal
10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
When you see a truck parked at the bottom of a cut block just keep on driving, what kind of idiot parks and gets out of his vehicle? If you pass a guy-or gal, walking up a road, especially a know dead end road, just smile as you drive by and beat the idiot on foot to the deer.

boxhitch
10-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Correct spead is a matter of matching with the major and minor feeding times. Consult the solunar tables and patch it into the trip computer.
Between feedings, might as well park and prepare for the rush.
Minor times warrant some fast travel to cover more feding areas, as the critters don't stand around and wait long.
Major feeds can be cruised, one handed, arm out the window, clip rolled up in the shirt sleeve style.

Ambush
10-24-2008, 06:58 PM
If you do stop to talk to another hunter your situation dictates your aproach.

If you've shot nothing, you must act very casual, to the point of being bored. "yeah, just out scouting, don't think I shoot anything today, even if i saw it."

If you have shot something, again very casual, but with an air of superiority and act like it's just normal. The bigger it is, the more casual you act. Maybe even give the other poor "schlep" some tips.

If the other hunter has something, always act like you could have had one too, if you wanted. The ultimate here is to say that you passed that one up earlier today. If it's really huge, say something like " nice meat buck, there should be some big ones around here to."

Geo.338
10-24-2008, 07:47 PM
You must drive as fast as you can without sliding off the road .If the game you are after hear you putting up the road they casually walk off and you don't see them . When you are barrelling up the road they do not even have a chance to move .When you see one, boot it even faster and at the last second skid to almost a stop then jump out and let your co pilot be responsible for bringing the rig to a safe stop.Even if they did spot it first .
The guy I hunt with is usually catching a nap while we are in transit .Except for the last time, I was napping while driving and did not even see the bull.Man was he pi$$ed .I thought i was doing pretty good for being asleep at the wheel.

Some good tips in this thread people .......You just have to sift through all the B.$. to find them .

browningboy
10-24-2008, 08:15 PM
The faster you go the more stealthy one is, you blend in like all the workers until the binders hit, drinks spill, bullets fly on floor, gun falls over and can't find binos to see the "animal"! Road hunting kicks ass!:mrgreen:

moosinaround
10-24-2008, 08:20 PM
Thats the king of beers Brother!! The beverage of choice for many road hunters!!

moosinaround
10-24-2008, 08:22 PM
everyone has there own "deer gear".
I like to speed hunt, always seem to see critters when I'm wailin on the throttle!!

browningboy
10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
I like to speed hunt, always seem to see critters when I'm wailin on the throttle!!

X2 too true!

mark
10-24-2008, 08:52 PM
You guys missed 1 important thing. When ya stop to chat with another road hunter and he asks, "so what have ya seen" You say " Oh just a few does" You???

Sideofabarn
10-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Hmm, sounds to me like I should paint my truck in FSR camo, which is to say, make it look like a grat big bud can, maybe shoot a couple holes in it for added authenticity.

moosinaround
10-24-2008, 09:26 PM
Hmm, sounds to me like I should paint my truck in FSR camo, which is to say, make it look like a grat big bud can, maybe shoot a couple holes in it for added authenticity.
NOW you are starting to think like a true road hunter!

The Hermit
10-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Franko will tell you that as the passenger it is important to farkin constantly remind the driver to keep an eye on the road and my tip is to keep a prod on hand to ensure that the passenger is staying awake and watching for stupid deer!!!

Now that we both have quads I'm sure there will be new techniques to be learned... tips for road hunting from the quad also appreciated!!!

Franko Manini
10-24-2008, 10:10 PM
Dont forget to keep your eyes open for the water bars, nothing worse than peacefully looking out at the forest then WHAM water bar, your head hits the roof your beer hits the floor ouch!

Yeah just ask The Hermit about this! He's got a nice new bumper on his truck now...

Sideofabarn
10-24-2008, 10:24 PM
So as a newbie road hunter, how many beer/km can I expect in my truck?
I understand that in contrast to fuel consumption, beer consumption should be high per km driven. Also, should I be getting out of my truck to pee, or should I keep a receptacle handy?

beeker
10-25-2008, 01:34 AM
don't forget to remove your rear view mirror in order to provide an unobstructed view

rishu_pepper
10-25-2008, 02:31 AM
Some good tips in this thread people .......You just have to sift through all the B.$. to find them .

There are tips in this thread?? :twisted:

I'm thinking of acquiring a logging truck. I figure the critters see those flyin' down the logging road at highway speeds everyday and don't blink an eye, so I should have a good advantage there. Plus, all that storage room in the back helps when I tag out on every species, inevitably usurping FD's de facto title of Road Hunting King. :roll:

hunter1947
10-25-2008, 03:51 AM
Now if Franko can just do his job and have some of the gates pulled out we would have more open roads to use for road hunting http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

M.Dean
10-25-2008, 04:59 AM
Getting out of the truck can be a major problem for some road hunters, you know, your a tad over weight and when you do find the door handle to get out, there's your belly half wrapped around the steering wheeling making it quite a chore to get your ass out of the seat! Go with Vinyl Seats! Spray them with a few coats of Armour All and together with a Nylon type camo jump suit, your ass will slide out of that truck like a wet walrus off a shiney rock!!! Also, there's the problem of trying to grab your gun with those greasy little fingers from eating that bucket of chicken and pizza you grabbed on your way out of town, use hockey tape! Yes, get your gun and wrap hockey tape all around the stock and even the greasyist little fingers will get a good grip!!! Another good tip, and i see it quite often is, if you see a truck ahead of you on the FSR, even if it's 3 or 4 K's in front of you, Pass that guy!!! He has no right to be in front of you, just because he got up earlier than you and didn't stop at the 7-11 for the bran muffins and a double double like you does not give him the right to be ahead of you!!! Last road hunting tip, and i see this every weekend, do not leave any cans, wrappers, napkins or bags in your truck after you hork back all the fast food and beer you brought, thats why you have power windows, to throw the stuff out!!! Keep the front seat clean!!! Hey, and have fun out there, thats what it's all about!!! M.Dean

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2008, 07:34 AM
There are tips in this thread?? :twisted:

I'm thinking of acquiring a logging truck. I figure the critters see those flyin' down the logging road at highway speeds everyday and don't blink an eye, so I should have a good advantage there. Plus, all that storage room in the back helps when I tag out on every species, inevitably usurping FD's de facto title of Road Hunting King. :roll:

Only a Court Jester :tongue: would leave his gun in the back when an immy is standing on the road. - The King.

PS - Tip # 473: get a self-loader so you can pick the game up with the grapple for cleaning and loading.

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Inevitably, last night's pepperoni pizza and beer while you were watching the Cannots get hammered on TV will slosh around with this morning's muffins, Timbits, honey crulers, no-expiry-date 7-11 bacon/egger, and double double, and something HAS to give.

Tip # 322: nose your truck to the very edge of a logging landing, so that there is only a foot or so left before the dropoff into the slash. Hold on to the front tow hooks on the bumper and let 'er spray down the bank of the logging landing. This accomplishes two things: firstly, you won't step in it when you stand up to do your pants up. Secondly, as it is over the bank and not in sight of the travelled portion of the road, it is ethical in that it doesn't spoil the natural experience of the next road hunter driving by (usually in 5 minutes or so).

Tip # 322(a): be sure to shut the diesel off so that you can hear the next road hunter coming, thus giving you time to avoid a potentially awkward situation for both of you, and to listen for any bull moose that may answer your grunts.

Tip # 322(b): use elastic bands on your TP rolls to keep them from unrolling in the extended cab.

Ambush
10-25-2008, 08:12 AM
FD's de facto title of Road Hunting King. :roll:

Sorry, but if what Ive heard about FD's truck is true, he is NOT a pro.

As in any other sport a very few individuals will stand way above the rest. Willing to indure hardship is a hallmark of greatness. The serious, dedicated road hunter always has crank windows. That way your rifle rest [the window] can be adjusted quickly, quietly and just right, even with the key off.

A superior road hunter will always have a left handed partner. Only "lefties" can shoot comfortably out of the passengers side. A pro will put up with the most obnoxious "Lefty" , if he can stay awake and shoot well, just to put game in the truck.

TIP: When hunting watch the terrain on your side. If it's down hill, have your window [rifle rest] lower to to save adjustment time. Higher if it's up hill. Turn side ways in the road when cresting a hill or after reaching the bottom, then take a few practice shots at road signs. Find out what's comfortable for you so that you'll be ready when that spiker suddenly appears.

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2008, 08:39 AM

As in any other sport a very few individuals will stand way above the rest. Willing to indure hardship is a hallmark of greatness. The serious, dedicated road hunter always has crank windows. That way your rifle rest [the window] can be adjusted quickly, quietly and just right, even with the key off.

Ahhh, the uninformed. Besides the cushy Duramax, I have a '92 Silverado with crank windows, and an '83 Scottsdale with big mudders and no power group. One must have a diverse choice in vehicles to match to the road conditions if success is what they desire. :wink:

Ambush
10-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Ahhh, the uninformed. Besides the cushy Duramax, I have a '92 Silverado with crank windows, and an '83 Scottsdale with big mudders and no power group. One must have a diverse choice in vehicles to match to the road conditions if success is what they desire. :wink:

Ahhh, perhaps you are that good. Preparedness is also a halmark of success.

clu__82
10-25-2008, 09:18 AM
Can't forget the drive by other hunter coming from the other direction two finger "peace sign" hello

rishu_pepper
10-25-2008, 09:49 AM
Only a Court Jester :tongue: would leave his gun in the back when an immy is standing on the road. - The King.

Forgive this Jester's ignorance, O sire, I have learned the lesson the hard way. :redface:

Please excuse our uninformed friend's unenlightened statement, he knows nothing of your work. :shock:

30-378-magnum
10-25-2008, 10:07 AM
take a pair of crutches along .just in case you run into a co.

Th0r
10-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Tip # 597- Do NOT drive a VW Vanagon Waterboxer while roadhuntin cause you WILL end up WALKIN!

lloydster
10-25-2008, 12:53 PM
forgot to prop up 15 can pack in extended cab right in rear middle for easy access for you and hunting buddy. perfect the left handed one bounce off roof and in method of retiring of dead soldiers to the back of truck.

lloydster
10-25-2008, 12:56 PM
road hunting with quad in back is also a great way to portray a sense of im not road hunting just going to my spot to other hunters.

Fisher-Dude
10-25-2008, 01:02 PM
road hunting with quad in back is also a great way to portray a sense of im not road hunting just going to my spot to other hunters.

Very true Lloyd. The extra weight in the back also helps for traction on slick roads and for a smoother ride in the HD trucks. Excellent advice!

kgriz
10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
Passengers.......Do not be a victim of the newer vehicles with child locks...A truly wise road hunting driver will simply come to a stop without putting the truck in park and wait for the passenger to pass out from excitement and frustration as they pump the handle in vain...and then will simply put the truck in park ( or not as I have...oops) and step out and make the shot.

BiG Boar
10-27-2008, 07:39 AM
Benefits to road hunting with a quad?
Benefits to road hunting with a truck?
I would say the truck takes the cake.

budismyhorse
10-27-2008, 08:21 AM
What about the ol' "Its on my side, you shoot rule?"

this has to be worked out well in advance....the rule states if the deer is on the drivers side, the passenger is the only guy who bails out and try his best off hand shot and Vice Versa......THIS IS ALSO A TIP. Bucks tend to give you an extra second or two if the opposite door opens. If the same side door opens up, they bolt, right now.

proven time and again during gruelling, extensive field research programs....late season desperado whitetail hunts.

This rule saves from the arguments early morning on "who is going to drive?" deep down, you want the passenger seat for better spotting ability and first crack at that ellusive buck. Even if you have been best friends for an eternity, its the old "well, my truck is acting up lately....yeah, we should take yours"

budismyhorse
10-27-2008, 08:27 AM
Tip # 322: nose your truck to the very edge of a logging landing..........

You are officially the King FD, that technique sounds unmatched in effectiveness and shock factor for new partners.

My kingdom for anyone who gets a pic of FD "in the act". That would make great cannon fodder for hunter to hunter emails that rocket through the internet....

Steeleco
10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
Is it still road hunting if I walk the road? I sometimes drive to the end of a road and walk out due to the riff raff in the area.

stickbow
10-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Diesel trucks are better than gas trucks.

Especially where logging and logging equipment occur. Wildlife have to constantly listen to diesel vehicles nearly all year. They're conditioned.....and they're not afraid of diesel trucks or the sound of a diesel.
LOL...sad but so true

Fisher-Dude
10-27-2008, 12:30 PM
You are officially the King FD, that technique sounds unmatched in effectiveness and shock factor for new partners.

My kingdom for anyone who gets a pic of FD "in the act". That would make great cannon fodder for hunter to hunter emails that rocket through the internet....

Really Bud, you DON'T wanna see that! :redface:

budismyhorse
10-27-2008, 01:12 PM
well I was thinking from about 100 yards away..........not birds-eye.

Islandeer
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
roadhunting is like an oxymoron thing ... :shock::shock:

Salty
11-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Woah! This thread has some absolute gold in it man. I'm gonna print it off and stick it in my glove box. :cool: Most of the good stuff has been covered, and covered well. A couple of other ideas come to mind..

Cruise control. Don't laugh, it works at slow speeds too. You just need to use a low gear. :smile: All of that back and forthing on the gas pedal can make your foot real sore at the end of the day. I mean those $600 Mendels are pretty stiff and not meant for driving. I don't advise wearing slippers or such. Even though the goal is to sluice one right on centreline, we all know that its not a perfect world it'll be on the other side of the ditch. Use good boots. You don't want to twist your ankle out there...

Get those new soft sided coolers they have. They hold a crap load of beer, but take up less space. Plus there's even a side pocket in them. I put the hunting regs in there so that if there's a road check you look the responsible hunter that you are..

Only road hunt with someone you have absolute trust in. This is a potentially dangerous deal here and you need to trust your buddy. I saw a couple pros last week out in region 8. Buddy was pulled over to the side of the paved road scoping a bunch of fat does in a posted farmer's field. He (the driver) had his rifle out the passenger window with that big ol 338 mag barrel inches in front of his buddy's face in the passenger seat. These dudes had trust. Professional. His buddy didn't even loose his nerve despite the fact that his bro was pointing at albeit below a house about 400 yards away. I wanna party with these guys...

Keep your windows clean. Carry windex with you. Look for girl scout car washes and such and make sure them lil buggers get them widas clean! Tip'm 50 cents once them windas are spotless with no glare from wierd angles..

That's about it I guess. Keep hydrated, well fed and get out there and smoke one!

Phil A. Bowl
11-04-2008, 06:44 PM
i like to use my camo scissor lift......

Gateholio
11-04-2008, 11:19 PM
I am sure all you road hunting aficionados are going to be jealous when I tell you this:

I just installed REAL-TREE camo seat covers in my truck...

Relax, they actually serve a purpose. FIrst, they are nylon and will keep the seats dry wen I slither back in to truck all muddy and wet...But most importantly, they are a GUN RACK!:shock:

Yup, they have 3 little slots you can place 3 rifles or shotguns in, and they hang behind the seat.:smile:

Although they are damn tacky.:tongue:

Fisher-Dude
11-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Is that a rash on your neck, or is it just naturally that red?

hunter1947
11-05-2008, 06:51 AM
I tried some road hunting yesterday morning ,I never seen a darn thing ,FD am I doing something wrong ?????:roll::roll:??????.

Salty
11-05-2008, 08:47 PM
I am sure all you road hunting aficionados are going to be jealous when I tell you this:

I just installed REAL-TREE camo seat covers in my truck...

Relax, they actually serve a purpose. FIrst, they are nylon and will keep the seats dry wen I slither back in to truck all muddy and wet...But most importantly, they are a GUN RACK!:shock:

Yup, they have 3 little slots you can place 3 rifles or shotguns in, and they hang behind the seat.:smile:

Although they are damn tacky.:tongue:

Your are the real deal man. :biggrin:

Gateholio
11-05-2008, 08:54 PM
I had people comment today that they LOVED them and WANTED some:p

They are useful, but so incredibly tacky it's insanely funny...

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
You know you're going to lose some of your camo clothing while they're in plain view on your seats.;)

SSS

Salty
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I hear they're real babe magnets. :razz:

Gateholio
11-05-2008, 09:08 PM
I hear they're real babe magnets. :razz:

Can't wait for the GF to return form Costa RIca and se them:tongue::razz:

Stone Sheep Steve
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Can't wait for the GF to return form Costa RIca and se them:tongue::razz:

Or "not" see them.

You get some matching undies with them??

SSS

BCrams
11-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Or "not" see them.

You get some matching undies with them??

SSS

TodBartell at Omineca Sports has a whole rack of camo undies and thongs :biggrin:

Just put your order in.

Gateholio
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
TodBartell at Omineca Sports has a whole rack of camo undies and thongs :biggrin:

Just put your order in.

O bought my GF some last time i was in VH:tongue::shock:

PGK
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM

Just put your order in.

And man do they ever look good on you! Are you coming over tonight again? :-P

todbartell
11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
I always wear my camo thong & bra when I post on HBC

whitespringer
11-05-2008, 11:07 PM
Play with bullet in hand until brass is dull and hand is green. Also spend wasted time talking to other road hunters, telling stories of hunts past, talking loudly till all game in viscinity is gone.

Fisher-Dude
11-06-2008, 07:04 AM
My road hunting partner:

http://www.rockytrail.com/ProductImages/camo-701s.jpg

Toddler's road hunting partner:

http://www.skinzwear.com/shoppingcart/itemimages/08-6104.jpg

Understandably, Toddler gets more help to pack out an animal that is further off the road than the winch cable will reach. However, my partner prepares better lunches. There's always a trade-off when choosing the ideal road hunting partner. It appears both Toddler and I prefer blondes. A strict prerequisite, however, is that they wear camo underwear.

hunter1947
11-06-2008, 07:21 AM
My road hunting partner:

http://www.rockytrail.com/ProductImages/camo-701s.jpg

Toddler's road hunting partner:

http://www.skinzwear.com/shoppingcart/itemimages/08-6104.jpg

Understandably, Toddler gets more help to pack out an animal that is further off the road than the winch cable will reach. However, my partner prepares better lunches. There's always a trade-off when choosing the ideal road hunting partner. It appears both Toddler and I prefer blondes. A strict prerequisite, however, is that they wear camo underwear.

Witch one is your road hunting partner FD ,is the lower pic your road hunting partner ,LOL :mrgreen:.

Fisher-Dude
11-06-2008, 07:55 AM
Witch one is your road hunting partner FD ,is the lower pic your road hunting partner ,LOL :mrgreen:.

Ummm, H47, the pictures are captioned to answer your question, but I think you missed that because you were distracted by my road hunting partner! 8-)

todbartell
11-06-2008, 02:12 PM
you sure have some weird fantasies old man

LeverActionJunkie
11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
things got weird in here...

papaken
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
The secret to relaxed roadin' is take grandson who is old enough to drive but not to drink. Also doubles as packer if game not right on the road. Grandson Tip! Don't let them bring I-POD they can't hear "STOP!!!"