PDA

View Full Version : 4x3 Mulie down

Rob
10-23-2008, 10:24 AM
Well finally had a bit of luck yesterday. After droppin my daughter off at school, my 2 yr old son Hunter and I went for a drive to see if we could find some deer. I wasn't to optimistic as we were running a bit behind. The spot we were heading to is wide open country with some coulies and brush, I was hoping to spot some deer bedded(it was about 09:30 when we got to our spot. I stopped a fair bit to do some glassing when I spotted a doe walking, it had already seen me but didnt seem to concerned, I glassed in front of her and seen a nice buck bedded, I watched him for a bout a minute or so and got set up. Before I was ready to shoot he got up(but wasnt spooked)He started to walk away and stopped I took a shot and seen it hit the dirt beside him:sad:. He and the doe started moving away so I watched them go. I dug out the range finder to see the distance where he was bedded and it read 560yds!(I was surprised it was that, its deceiving on the open country!) We continued on as my son was glassing out his window(Had my wifes binos and looking through them backwards:smile:) I spotted another buck about 200yds off to my left and stopped the truck, the buck was moving away but only walking, I got a good solid rest and touched off the trigger, I heard the distinctive "thump" and chambered another round, the buck went down, I felt my shot was good but hit him once more just in case. I loaded up my pack and grabbed my son and we went to have a look, It didnt take us to long to find the buck, It was pretty cool having Hunter there as this is his first successful hunt. I looked back at the truck and figured there is no way we(I) would be dragging the buck back to the truck so we walked back and were able to drive out to the buck. After dressing it out and breaking my back getting it into the back of the truck we were ready to go home. I ranged the shot at 360yds. My rifle is zeroed at 200yds and I have practiced well beyond that. I have the long range reticle on my Leupold scope and found it to be very accurate at the range. I have pics if I can email them to someone to post. My 1yr old lab was with us and man did she have a blast, she didnt know what to think about the deer:razz:. Thanks for listening, Rob

DWEL
10-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Good on ya. Hope to see the pics soon.

behemoth
10-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Thats a great story. Funny, my girl looks out of the binos backwards too. Tells me they dont work the other way.
Congrats:-D

ElectricDyck
10-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Two years old and first successful hunt already! Lucky kid. Although with a name like that.:wink: Congrats.:cool:

doubled
10-23-2008, 12:52 PM
He is well on his wat now. Congrats on the deer.

tinhorse
10-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Nice work, sounds like some very good deer country you are hunting there. I can't wait to take my son out for his first hunt, his first b-day is coming up November 29th. So maybe next year we can do some drives and look for black-tails

shantz
10-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Nice buck... 360 yrds is a hell of a shot too. congrats

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Good going Rob ,will be nice to see the pic when you post them up.

Rob
10-23-2008, 02:13 PM
http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/roblee2/th_HPIM0191.jpghttp://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/roblee2/th_HPIM0188.jpg

http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/roblee2/th_HPIM0189.jpg
http://s409.photobucket.com/albums/pp179/roblee2/th_HPIM0190.jpg

Rob
10-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Road hunting is not my preferred method, but with a 2 yr old your options are a bit limited. But the meat still tastes as good:razz:. Rob

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Very nice deer Rob ,thank's for sharing the pic.

Rob
10-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks, not a huge deer but It was probably one of the last days Ill get out this year.

3kills
10-24-2008, 07:32 AM
way to go buddy nice lookin buck better then the one i took this year...good to hear Hunter was with ya..i took Braiden out the other day but we didnt see anything