PDA

View Full Version : need info on drift boat hunting

fuss
09-12-2005, 11:09 PM
i allways wanted to try hunting on some rivers but don't know anything about it or know anybody who does .so hit me with everthing you guy's know about this .
what rivers? what type of boats ?where to start ?just about anything and everthingyou know about river hunting .

thanks very much for any info ..fuss

atri
09-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Fuss,

I've done some water fowl hunting on the Lower Bow River in AB using a drift boat (16ft Clackacraft). We would combine it with some flyfishing if the river wasn't carrying a lot ice flows: Blast and cast, if you will. While it was a fun, we never connected with a lot of birds. I suppose one could get going very early from the launch (way before sunrise) drift down to a nice spot to set up a blind and have at it. But make sure you're familiar with the drift because it is very difficult to see obstacles in the dark. And if you plan to wear waders, do not use the felt soled boots if the temps are anywhere near freezing.

I've also did a some bow hunting along the Bow River below Canmore on a couple of occassions. The great thing about the dift boat is that it is very quiet (lub up those oar locks and anchor pulley before you head out). Primarily we would use it to access terrain that was difficult walk into (ie islands, and oxbows)

I would recommend that you keep the float distances short, unless you plan on camping. Regarding boat size and type, I suppose you'll need to match it with the conditions you expect. Read the regs regarding the use of a boat for hunting and transporting game. I don't think there'll be any issues as long as you don't mount a little motor to your transom.

I've considered taking my drift boat down the Nit Nat River for a combination salmon/ bear trip. I'm aware of some no shoot areas, but I believe there might be opportunites further upstream. I just have to find the launch point and see if it falls in a blasting zone.

Best of luck out there.