PDA

View Full Version : one heluva buck

winbuckhunter
10-22-2008, 11:46 PM
so i was huntin mule deer last november. was hikin in a little honey hole of mine. saw a nice buck just cresting the hill and he was gone, sucks when they see you first!! so i snuck over the hill was aprox 200 yards on the way there i had to walk through some small 10 - 12 foot trees when i came across some poplar trees a group of about 10. i noticed that 6 of them were rubbed REALLY good!! these trees ranged from soft ball size to volleyball size.. some very respectable rubs. but they were old say 2-3 years maybe more. i was checking one out and went to walk to the other when i stepped on a ( stick??? ) well it flipped up and hit me above the knee.. when i looked down it was no stick and i was totally amazed at what i was looking at.. the 4 point in comparison isn't no trophy but it kind of gives you a perspective on the size of these antlers.. the 4 point is the buck in the bottom picture.. can any one tell me aprox maybe what they would have scored if they weren't so rotten from laying in the moss they were?http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC00080.JPGhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/DSC00072.JPG

winbuckhunter
10-22-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm guessin maybe he died from old age? or just being worn out from rutting.. the fact that he died in the middle of his rubs is kinda ironic.. maybe a hunter shot him and couldn't find him but i dunno?

winbuckhunter
10-22-2008, 11:49 PM
BTW this is a region 8 buck

winbuckhunter
10-22-2008, 11:49 PM
and i never did catch up with the buck that i saw :(

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 04:57 AM
It looks like the set of antlers that are still together would score around the low 150 range ,nice find.

10-23-2008, 05:52 AM
can any one tell me aprox maybe what they would have scored if they weren't so rotten from laying in the moss they were?

Pretty hard with so much bone missing but I would say a lot,,,, the G2/G3 split is very low (close to the main beam) so G3 was probably quite long, there's lots of mass and it appears the inside spread would be significant, but it's hard to say what the tine lengths and main beam lengths were.

boxhitch
10-23-2008, 06:15 AM
Call it one helluva buck. His genetics should still be around. I know where I would be hunting.

winbuckhunter
10-23-2008, 03:47 PM
and i am hunting there.. found a nice bud just the otherday from this year.. seems they are starting t get into the rubbing mode, wont be long until they're burried nose deep in the does!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!