PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving Deer

doubled
10-22-2008, 10:03 PM
My buddy accompanied me and my wife to my parents place for our traditional Thanksgiving. He is a friend of the family and has made this trip for a number of years now so it was good to hear that he was coming for this one.

Usually him and I go hunting while my wife and mother and grandmother all make turkey and the fixings. Can't remember ever going there and not getting an animal that weekend and I had no intention of a skunk this year either.

Garry was able to get out for a hunt on Saturday morning as him and my wife drove up together while I was up at Terrace on a steelhead trip with three other guys. They were dropping me off in Kamloops on Saturday and my wife would pick me up and we would head to my parents in Barriere for the holiday weekend. About a half hour away from Barriere, my cell goes off and it is Garry and he needs a hand dragging a 4x3 out as he shot it up in an area we like to walk. Haven't even got to my parents and we already have a deer down.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/IMG_1784.jpg

We drag it out and load it up in the truck to take down to my Dad's shot to skin and clean up. The rest of the day is dedicated to this as well as sipping a few celebratory pops. The next day is hopefully my turn.

Sunday morning comes and we are up well before daylight. I like to be up there and quads unloaded before it even gets light.

We get to our unloading spot and start to take the quads off and see headlights coming. In the next five minutes, four vehicles pass and our spirits are lowered with each truck passing by. It has never been this busy before. WTH.

We agree to go in separate locations and head out.

I go about 15 minutes and see a big white arse bounded up the hill away from me. I later found this distance to be 365 yards give or take with my range finder. The deer is alone and big and I instantly think BUCK! I stop the quad and grab my binos and am greeted with RACK! Hop off the quad and grab my rifle, load it and lean on a stump near the roadside. This deer wants no part of me and I have about 2-3 seconds left before it is over the top and out of sight. I steady myself as much as possible and fire. The deer immediately heads straight up the remaing part and disappears. I am not sure now whether it dropped or went over the top and start to doubt. I climb to the top which takes me about 20 mintues looking for signs of a hit (blood, hair, body fluids). Just after the top, I run into a pile of hair, some blood, and a chunk of bone. I follow the trail and after 30 minutes run into him a few hundred yards away down the side hill where the new growth was fairly thick. My biggest muley rack to date.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/IMG_0252.jpg

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t262/doubled66/DSCN1919.jpg

Front tires on my quad were a little low with him on.

TIKA 300
10-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Thats sure a beauty of a thanksgiving turkey LOL!!! Congrats to both of ya.

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 05:12 AM
Very nice double header you two got nice wright up as well ,pic show it all ,congrats.

tracker
10-23-2008, 05:26 AM
Congrats , but gary should realy start holding out for bigger bucks when hunting that area,he can get those little ones where he lives lol :mrgreen::biggrin::biggrin:

10-23-2008, 08:44 AM
Good on you guys,
looks like good burn country. Congrats
C/T

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 08:49 AM
I sure am enjoying hearing about all these great harvesting trip and the pictures are so so wonderful

congrats all around :)

now that is when y'all sit at dinner and have so many things to be thankful for :)

Blainer
10-23-2008, 08:55 AM
That is great.
Nice looking bucks.

sneg
10-23-2008, 08:58 AM
wow ,nice thankgiving.congrats.

roblikestohunt
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
Nice buck Derek!!!!