PDA

View Full Version : scary experience

chinooker
10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
was hunting gavin lake area 5-02 today. Driving down a logging road and I came across a 2 point buck standing in a clearcut about 50 yards from the timber line . I thought what the heck I'll take him , so I stepped out of the truck (left it running noisy cummins diesel) shot deer through neck, dropped like a rock. Thats when all went bad, as soon as the shot was fired I heard yelling and dogs barking right behind where the deer was standing. I thought oh my god I shot someone and went running through the timber to see what happened. Turns out the timberline was only a thin leave strip of trees just wide enough to obscure a house directly behind it. No one was hurt but the owner as well as myself were both pretty rattled. His first reaction was anger and I can't say as I blame him but the spot where I fired from there was no indication there was a house there. The only thing i could have done differently was if I had turned my truck off I probably would have heard the generator running. I said he should have sighns up , he replyed that he had before and some one ripped them down. I apoligized several times and told him I didn't blame him for being angry but there was no way I could have known his house was there without sighns. crappy day :cry:

NaStY
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Holy talk about a possible "bad day" for sure. Man that would really suck and probably wouldn't be the first. Glad it turned out good for you though.

BiG Boar
10-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Dude that is scary. They say always know what is beyond your target, and yet you wonder how many guys shoot into trees. Do you really know what is in trees? Do you really know what is beyond that animal skyling himself? Do you really know that the bear on that loggin road, no one will come ripping around the corner as you are looking through the small objective of the scope? There are so many scenarios that come to mind and yet untill you are out there experiencing these things, how much attention is really paid? Why do people shoot through the neck anyways, isnt that just about as bad as not knowing what is beyond your target? Something to think about as I have a draw up there this season. Thanks for the word of caution.

chinooker
10-22-2008, 07:26 PM
Dude that is scary. They say always know what is beyond your target, and yet you wonder how many guys shoot into trees. Do you really know what is in trees? Do you really know what is beyond that animal skyling himself? Do you really know that the bear on that loggin road, no one will come ripping around the corner as you are looking through the small objective of the scope? There are so many scenarios that come to mind and yet untill you are out there experiencing these things, how much attention is really paid? Why do people shoot through the neck anyways, isnt that just about as bad as not knowing what is beyond your target? Something to think about as I have a draw up there this season. Thanks for the word of caution.

I shoot for the neck when an animal is facing directly at me and is holding head high either a broken neck or clean miss

elkdom
10-22-2008, 07:37 PM
was hunting gavin lake area 5-02 today. Driving down a logging road and I came across a 2 point buck standing in a clearcut about 50 yards from the timber line . I thought what the heck I'll take him , so I stepped out of the truck (left it running noisy cummins diesel) shot deer through neck, dropped like a rock. Thats when all went bad, as soon as the shot was fired I heard yelling and dogs barking right behind where the deer was standing. I thought oh my god I shot someone and went running through the timber to see what happened. Turns out the timberline was only a thin leave strip of trees just wide enough to obscure a house directly behind it. No one was hurt but the owner as well as myself were both pretty rattled. His first reaction was anger and I can't say as I blame him but the spot where I fired from there was no indication there was a house there. The only thing i could have done differently was if I had turned my truck off I probably would have heard the generator running. I said he should have sighns up , he replyed that he had before and some one ripped them down. I apoligized several times and told him I didn't blame him for being angry but there was no way I could have known his house was there without sighns. crappy day :cry: Yeh that can wreck your day for sure, his too also, was it his land where you shot the deer? was it crown land?? there are maps available " outlines crown land and adjoining private land " just a thought, always be sure of where you hunt/shoot, if there is logging roads they are on current forestry maps, not making a judgement, just giving some input!

kayjayess
10-22-2008, 07:38 PM
I was hunting white tail one fall and we were driving a logging road looking for deer. As we pass a narrow cut line we slow down and see a deer off in the distance - probably 4 - 500 yards away, causing us to stop. Within a few seconds we then hear a distance gun shot and the deer drops. Standing a few hundred yards behind him is a hunter with a rifle (which we had not originally seen).

We were super rattled and choked that this clown shot the deer while we were in his line of fire (behind the buck). Scary experience for sure. And that guy had to have seen us.

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 05:42 AM
When a person does not know an area this kind of thing can and will happen.

If you had know en the area you would have know en that there was a home there.

I can't blame you for what you did ,hell I would have done the same thing if it where me.

The owner should have a few sign's up saying no shooting homestead in area.
It would have made me sick if I had done the same thing as you had done.
Its just a good thing that everything worked out right at the end.

boxhitch
10-23-2008, 06:21 AM
I said he should have sighns up , he replyed that he had before and some one ripped them down.

So he knew the hazards, put the signs up, and then admits he knew they were torn down? Dumbazz.

chinooker
10-23-2008, 06:41 AM
Yeh that can wreck your day for sure, his too also, was it his land where you shot the deer? was it crown land?? there are maps available " outlines crown land and adjoining private land " just a thought, always be sure of where you hunt/shoot, if there is logging roads they are on current forestry maps, not making a judgement, just giving some input!

crown land with a piece of private smack in the middle. where do you get maps that show private land?

Dirty
10-23-2008, 07:19 AM
I always worry about this kind of stuff. On public access roads (FSRs) you can never really be 100% sure of the background behind your target. These are places where access is not restricted and people could be crawling around anywhere. Another one that really bugs me is waterfowl hunting. You always have to be aware of where your shot is landing. I have passed on hunting some good spots because I feel that it is too urban.

steel_ram
10-23-2008, 07:36 AM
The landowner isn't the dumb ass here! Always know what's behind your target, whether it be another deer, equipment, hunter or someones house with family inside. All we need is another anti armed with a bad hunter story.

Unfortunately a drawback of road 'hunting' is you aren't very intimate with the area you may be shooting, nor are you likely to hear any warnings of potential hazard.

sneg
10-23-2008, 09:06 AM
I think it is biggest down side of road hunting.you are not sure what behind the visible line. Plus there is andrealine rush and you concentrate on target and not what might be behind it. Thanks for sharing your story.

newhunterette
10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
the majority hunting I have done is road hunting - however I know the area so well up near the cabin and as soon as a new FSR is created we have to check it out - especially the kids love to quad the new roads - bigger mudholes

I am glad no one was injured and that the home owner calmed down enough to understand you really were very sorry

I personally would have offered him some deer meat and perhaps make a new friend who would be willing to let me hunt his land at another time (just something I would do) besides after an experience like that I think I would need to borrow his washroom :)

boxhitch
10-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Now don't be pointing the fingers at Road Hunters. How about the guy who walks through an old cutblock, through the band of timber, and spots the buck in the next cutblock ?
If you tell me he should consult his maps and gps before he shoots, I'll say it never happens.
Best we can do is recommend due diligence, and watch what the backdrop may be.

Ron.C
10-23-2008, 11:30 AM
Lucky, that's for sure.

I'm not against road hunting, and that is not the issue here. This could have happened to a guy/gal still hunting through the bush. You can never be 100% of what is behind your target in the bush. Yes you should know what is immediately behind it, but a bullet "or arrow" can do travel a long way through the bush. Maybe some guys have a backpack camp set up that you don't know of or maybe there's another hunter somewhere in the bush behind your target you are unaware of, you never know for sure. Having said that you SHOULD know of any permanent structures in the area your hunting. You can be 100% sure about that and that to me is due dillegence and not just blindly start shooting.

doubled
10-23-2008, 01:00 PM
This is a tough one. Should there be signs - probably. Should he put them back up - probably. Should his place be marked to make others aware - probably. Should you have fired - probably. One common here is there are alot of probablys and no real answers. Owner has a right to be mad but not a tough mistake to make, PROBABLY would have done the same thing myself.

elkdom
10-23-2008, 04:40 PM
crown land with a piece of private smack in the middle. where do you get maps that show private land?

B.C. Assessment Authority, Ministry of Forestry, Energy Mines and Resources, Ministry of Highways, B.C. Parks Commission, Regional Districts, it is possible to identify and locate, 'deeded property', Leased Crown Land, trap lines, oil and gas pipelines and leases, active logging operations, its all in how much effort and value one wishes to invest to assure they do not compromize thier hunting privilege, thier own safety, other persons safety, the fact is that there is no excuse when some thing goes wrong, in ALL cases it is up to the HUNTER to know where he is before shooting, tresspassing etc. The excuse "I didnt know where I was when I shot" will not work as defence if something serious takes place!

moosinaround
10-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Now if "I" lived in a situation such as is described here, "I" would have it posted very well!!"I" would not leave it up to someone else to find out! Safety of my family and possessions would be foremost. Every Sept 1 hunting season starts! It lasts till Nov 30. Signage is pretty easy to put up, if it comes down put it back up!! Don't leave it up to someone else. Now this being said, It is up to the "Hunter" to ensure that they know where their bullet, arrow, lead or steel shot is heading! I am absoulutely sure that chinooker learned something here, aswell as the land owner! Thank goodness the outcome was what it was! Moosin

bad arrow
10-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Chalk it up to expierience chinooker, the land owner should have had the area posted, you said he had a generator, so that must mean no power lines or other visible signs of habitation, I would have done the same, although because I hunt the same area's all the time, I know there are no dwellings nearby, I hope it's good eatin.

Buckmeister
10-23-2008, 05:54 PM
As hunters, we must always assume that we are not "alone" out in the bush. There could always be another hunter/person/animal on the other side of that cut block walking in from the opposite direction, or driving around the corner, or sitting in a blind. The other day I was in a very familiar place but was surprised to see two kids out on their mountain bikes. Also, when we were elk hunting a few weeks ago, I was smack in the middle of a forested area when around the corner came 3 people walking their 4 dogs, :shock: and on a Thursday morning to boot. There's hikers, horseback riders, prospectors, forestry/fishery workers, dirtbikers, etc...We can't know for sure that someone else is in our shooting lane unless we visibly see them. There's millions of possible senarios.

However, when in an unfamiliar place, it is good practice to first scout out the area before the hunt in order to familiarize yourself with what is out there. That way you can minimize the surprises. Just my $0.02.

The Hermit
10-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for posting, it could have happend to most of us. This year I noticed a bunch of tracks along the FSR and a well used trail leading off into what appeared to be the boonies. Out of the truck I go, and start heading up the trail when a rancher drives up horn blaring. So I go back the 15 feet to the ditch to see what is up and he heatedly tells me that it is private property. (grazing lease) Dumbfounded, I apologize and note to him that it is not visibly fenced nor signed but that regardless I understood his concern for his cattle. He calms down and we go our separate ways.

Should I have known it was private, legally yes. Should he sign the road with no trespass and or no hunting signs, ABSOLUTELY!!! So what would the CO have said? BTW - I hadn't actually left the 15 meter road right of way when he drove up but regardless.

DeerWhisperer
10-23-2008, 06:23 PM
houses and trailers always seem to just jump out of nowhere

boxhitch
10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
So what would the CO have said?IIRC a CO can lay trespass charges, if he feels its justified. Then the courts decide.
The grazing leases i have seen have been adjoined to private, some fenced and some not. Due diligence.

willyqbc
10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Okay.....gotta throw my .o2 cents worth in here. I have to say that most of the posts on this thread are unrealistic.....the hunter was not to blame here and the homeowner was only partially to blame...both are victims of circumstance. I'll explain. Firstly, what everyone needs to realize is that there are tons of things in this part of the province that are located in the middle of nowhere......homes, ranches, mining claims, traplines etc. It used to be that you would see the "private road" signs when you were approaching what used to be the only way into the property. Now as a result of the beetle kill epidemic roads are coming into the back end of these properties, logging right up to the property line providing access that wasn't there before. I could be hunting anywhere within an hour or so of Quesnel on any given day....we are talking about thousands of km's of logging roads and tens of thousands of cutblocks....am I supposed to get deed maps for any area I potentially may want to hunt??? I would need hundreds, and at the rate of logging they would provide no assurance anyway as they would be out of date monthly. For all of you folks who get moose LEH up here....do you get deed maps of the entire Nazko area???? All of 5-13B.... I doubt it. Unfortunatley this is going to happen more and more often as the logging provides closer access to these properties. For this poor hunter there was obviously no indication that this cut block was any different than any other. The homeowner should be talking to the ministry and have them foot the bill to put up some sign 15 feet up a tree that can't be easily reached and pulled down.

Just my thoughts
Chris

boxhitch
10-24-2008, 09:27 AM
The homeowner should be talking to the ministry and have them foot the bill Why should I help pay for this guys signs ? Its his property, he can look after it.

4ptbuck
10-24-2008, 10:18 AM
Anybody know how grazing leases work? If a ranch has a grazing lease, do they have exclusive access to an area? I've been into a few areas where No Tresspassing signs have been put up by the local ranch, and I suspect they have a grazing lease (how do I find out for sure?). Wouldn't a grazing lease only allow them to run their cattle through the area?

chinooker
10-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Anybody know how grazing leases work? If a ranch has a grazing lease, do they have exclusive access to an area? I've been into a few areas where No Tresspassing signs have been put up by the local ranch, and I suspect they have a grazing lease (how do I find out for sure?). Wouldn't a grazing lease only allow them to run their cattle through the area?

A grazing lease intitles the rancher to just that, graze cattle it gives them no right to stop access or pretend that it's private that much I am sure of however, I don't know for sure but if cattle are on the lease they might be able to stop hunting.

Gun Dog
10-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm not going to look up the act but a grazing (or mining or forestry) lease is a non-exclusive lease. The rancher can post NO HUNTING signs but the cattle are supposed to be off the lease by the end of September or early October.