PDA

View Full Version : My first buck down!

tikkat3
10-22-2008, 07:19 AM
I put in for LEH tags for the first time this year, and got a bull moose draw in 5-02B. My hunting "partner" backed out on me last minute, so The Hermit stepped into his spot. Lucky for me, I wouldn't have went otherwise. I had never went hunting before with someone I had never met, so it was an interesting situation.

Hermit comes over on the morning we are leaving (oct 14th), in a little truck that is absolutely packed with gear. He brought his wall tent, stove, tables, stove, bbq, dishrack, kitchen sink(!), and enough food for 2 guys going hunting for a week. I was literally amazed at all the stuff this guy had. We took my truck and quad/trailer, chairs, etc, and enough food for 2 guys. We had enough food for a 2 week hunt easy. After about 15 mins of gear transfer we were on our way.

After a 5 hr drive north, we wind up at Srupps house in Williams lake, and meet his wonderful wife and get some maps he makes up for me. Thanks to the both of you! Turns out the maps there were identical to a map my friend's brother gave me when I went up to the area to scout in the summertime. Feeling good about the triangulation of info, we head to the area. We get there, and someone else was in "our" spot. Oh well, we head down the road and set up camp there. After about an hour we are set up. A couple of drinks, and we are sleeping.

Now, the next 3 days, we see NO bull moose, or any male animal of any kind, probably not even birds or squirrels. We tried everything, sitting on game trails, road hunting, bashing bush, pushing animals up the hill, pushing animals around the lake, pushing animals through the swamp to a blind, sitting in a blind on a game trail, walking cuts/roads, nothing. Turns out on day 3 of our hunt, the guys in the next camp over who were exclusively road hunting, got a bull. We were hiking probably 7-10k a day and seeing nothing.

Once I find this out, I give up hiking all together and just cruise roads with the quad, and focus on swampy lakes instead of stumbling around in the bush. Then we see 2 cow moose in the bush. Alright! Hermit tries to sneak up on them just for fun to get pix. He gets within 50 yards, then gets busted. I drop hermit off on top of the mountain around there near snowline, where he hunts for a few hours, while I go road hunt. He sees no animals at all, I see a couple grouse I try to whack with a stick but they busted me.

On the last day we could hunt, we were doubling on the quad and road hunting. We went up a road we hadn't been up previously, and found some very fresh tracks, going up the hill into a recent clearcut. We are moving along and see a deer at the same time. I hit the brakes hard, and Hermit crashes into me. Excitement! He was about 100 yards up the hill on the treeline across a cut, looking at us. Hermit is looking at it making sure it's a buck, I grab the trusty -06, and he says

"I'm 95% sure it's a buck" he says
"I gotta see, and make sure" I say back, checking it out in the binos. I didn't want to shoot a doe by accident, and if it was a buck, it was a young one.
"Shoot, shoot, its a buck!!!" he says just as I see the little fork horns through the binos
I used the back of the quad as a rest, lined him up and squeezed the trigger. Nothing. I was politely informed by Hermit that this was illegal, later on. What a walking book of knowledge!

"****! nothing in the pipe!" I hurriedly cycle the bolt while this little buck looks at us curiously, trying to figure us out.

The next attempt was a success. I hit him with a 180gr nosler I had for moose in the gun. He went down like a bolt of lightning hit him, was dead before he heard the shot.

I do the happy dance, my first big game animal in 4 seasons of hunting.

I learned a few things about hunting this trip.

Road hunting works. Really well, evidently. Hermit is a well prepared guy, very intelligent, and friendly. We were a bit of an odd couple in this respect. I gotta say that he was great on this trip, he walked me through the whole gutting/skinning party that followed.

Wall tents are nice and cozy, and I'm thinking about getting one. They are a bit of work to pull down though. I also learned that bow hunting is the ultimate form of hunting, according to Bill.

Pix to come. I gotta go to work now

betteroffishing
10-22-2008, 07:33 AM
good on you, i got my first this last week as well and there is no feeling like it. great job

sneg
10-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Congrats.can imagine your feeling.it is nice experience.many more to come. post pics.

hunter1947
10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
Tikkat3 you went hunting with a real nice person ,bill is tops on my list for a hunting partner.

You got your first big game animal and you learned a lot off bill ,thats a big score for sure ,to bad about not getting a moose but there is always next year.

Congrats to you on tagging your first deer ,well done.

rishu_pepper
10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Good stuff Dom, way to nail your first. Glad you had fun with Bill, he's a quality guy. Now let's see some pics :D

kayjayess
10-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Congrats Tikkat3. Awesome feeling heh? I love your avatar. Look forward to the pics

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 08:30 AM
congratulations Dom - what a great time for you - I wish you had got your moose too but happy for your deer

I met Bill in the line up for the outdoor show and got such a big hug from him - he is a very sweet guy and tons knowledgeable - so you had the ultimate in partners

Good for both of you

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 10:01 AM
Tikkat3 popped his cherry!?!?!?!!!

CONGRADUFLIPPIN'LATIONS!!

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 10:08 AM
Just read the story... A big WOOHOO for Hermie!

In4TheHunt
10-22-2008, 10:12 AM
WAY 2 GO BUD. You earned it. Nice to see that you found a replacement.
Sounds like you had a awsome time.
Give me a call

Cheers
Mariusz

Fisher-Dude
10-22-2008, 12:33 PM
Road hunting works. Really well, evidently.

Duh. I coulda told you that! You don't need a Rupp map when you have lots of fuel in the tank! :tongue::biggrin:

Congrats on your first deer!

doubled
10-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Well done, good job on your first.

DWEL
10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Congratulations, It is a great feeling getting your first isn't it.
Many more to come.
Dave

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 01:10 PM
Tikkat3 popped his cherry!?!?!?!!!

CONGRADUFLIPPIN'LATIONS!!

and iffn I said that - I would be in super duper trouble sheesh hehehehehe

The Hermit
10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Yup we were definately the odd couple!! I'm Felix to his Oscar!! When we got back to his place he told his "other" partner that she has to take cooking lessons from me or else! LOL We ate like kings!!! I'm sure even Ali would have approved!! Took me eight hours to sort and clean my gear when I got home! LOL Fun trip! Thanks to Tikka3 for the invite and sharing a good time!

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Yup we were definately the odd couple!! I'm Felix to his Oscar!! When we got back to his place he told his "other" partner that she has to take cooking lessons from me or else! LOL We ate like kings!!! I'm sure even Ali would have approved!! Took me eight hours to sort and clean my gear when I got home! LOL Fun trip! Thanks to Tikka3 for the invite and sharing a good time!

Now Bill you know I am always proud of ya :) and will always give you my highest approval

but now you are gonna have to cook for me lol when I get to the Island.

born2hunt
10-22-2008, 06:49 PM
a good time had by all awesome:)

tikkat3
10-22-2008, 09:17 PM
ok sorry about the wait had to work 2day then deal with a toddler who won't go to sleep...

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/missionhunter/photo.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/missionhunter/DSCN0196.jpg

Gunsmoke
10-22-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats....should be great eats.....almost the same as the one that I tagged near Williams Lake a few weeks ago.

Kechika
10-22-2008, 09:37 PM
Congrats on your first.Sweet beard:cool:

fozzy
10-22-2008, 09:54 PM
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/missionhunter/DSCN0196.jpg

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk285/missionhunter/photo.jpg

Yahoo! The first Buck will always be remembered. Nice to see a couple strangers get together for a trip and pull it off.

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
great job again, Dom - almost didn't recognize ya with the bushman beard :) - I know I know it is to keep your face warm during hunting season

lol dang them toddlers and not wanting to sleep

pushbush
10-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Turns out on day 3 of our hunt, the guys in the next camp over who were exclusively road hunting, got a bull.

Hey Dom,

How do you know that the guys in the next camp were exclusively road hunting? Did you see them driving around in their truck?

tikkat3
10-22-2008, 10:46 PM
I don't know for sure, but I saw them everywhere on quads and dirtbikes. I was at a lot of high points glassing and I could see them drive around the various cuts and roads real slow all day. One time I was in a cutblock hiding and calling surrounded by moose scent before daylight, only to have a quad hunter drive right where I was expecting a moose to migrate from a swamp due to fresh tracks I found the night before.The only animals we really saw were on the roads anyway so it's not like I blame them, it worked.

While hiking I saw a ton of sign everywhere for moose. I think that there was maybe a couple bulls around there, and a few more cow moose and calves that were leaving the majority of the poop and tracks. I found several big rubs that were too high up for mule deer and in swamps that I took for bull sign.

The Hermit
10-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey Dom,

How do you know that the guys in the next camp were exclusively road hunting? Did you see them driving around in their truck?

A ha!! So are you the lurker on the bike or quad? Regardless it was nice chatting with our neighbors! Did you get one or two moose? Hope we didn't keep you guys up with Dom's heavy metal music late at night... snikker snort! :p

hunter1947
10-23-2008, 04:52 AM
Very nice pic ,well done.

The Hermit
10-23-2008, 09:11 AM
Now Bill you know I am always proud of ya :) and will always give you my highest approval

but now you are gonna have to cook for me lol when I get to the Island.

That, my dear, would be a pleasure! Why don't you and Peter plan to come over to the south island Christmas cheer beer thing this year/

pushbush
10-23-2008, 07:42 PM
I don't know for sure, but I saw them everywhere on quads

Dom,

You have a Quad, do you consider YOURSELF a road hunter?

one strictly uses a quad to get to an unaccessible area the quickest way possible. Then park and hike from there, If you don't see what you like you leave and go to the next area. Some areas you go into, you don't always see sign, or anything worth walking into, therefore; you just cruise in and back out and go to the next area. You can definately cover alot of ground this way. And when your looking for moose!!!

Scouting is were it's at, if you've done your homework, you'll know what areas you want to go to, and the QUAD is just another tool to enhance you odds.
Unless you drive your Quad "exclusively" up and down the Forestry Roads, I can't see how you can call the above Road Hunting.

pushbush
10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Dom,

I'm glad to see you came home with some meat, that little spike will be great eating.

P.s we saw him 3 days in a row almost in the same spot .

oh ya by the way it was good to meet you and Bill.

Pm me if you wish!!!!!!!!!

Iron-Head
10-23-2008, 10:26 PM
Dom,

Road hunting aside, I'm glad to see you came home with some meat, that little spike will be great eating.

P.s we saw him 3 days in a row almost in the same spot .

oh ya by the way is was good to meet you and Bill.

Pm me if you wish!!!!!!!!!

Road hunting should be distinguished by how many miles one puts on his boots, Compared to how many miles put on their Vehicle's while in prime territory.

Spiker crab claw is much to small for the mighty pushbush.

Good on yeh Tikka, all I see is tender backstraps on that bad boy..