PDA

View Full Version : Do any hunters out there use sents or drags?

RayHill
10-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Do sents on a wick or using a drag work or is it not worth it to buy?
How about sent block spray for your clothes?
I'm new to this so any help would be grate thanx
Ray

todbartell
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
I often use a scent killing spray, especially when on trips when I will begin to smell like campfire, dill pickle chips, and whiskey

huntwriter
10-22-2008, 12:11 AM
Under the right condition scent lure does work. The mistake some hunters make is to use scent as a strategy. Scent works best as part of a sound hunting strategy based on scouting. I have written several articles on the subject. This article (http://whitetaildeerpassion.blogspot.com/2006/08/making-sense-about-deer-scents.html) is a summary about scent use and application with links to more information on that topic on my "Whitetail Deer Passion" website.

Human scent control spray works in combination with a shower before each hunt and a set of fresh clean under and over garments. What scent control does not do, as often assumed, is to eliminate human odor all together. It cannot be done unless you were to remove every single glad surgically from your body. This also would mean certain death.

The next best we can do is to be clean and then stay downwind from the animals. All scent control does is fooling the animal in believing that we’re still miles away when in fact we’re sitting right on top of them.

hunter1947
10-22-2008, 06:10 AM
I use voyeur deer lure as for Scent-A-Way.

I put some deer lure on some cotton and hang it about 30 yard from my tree stand.

mijinkal
10-22-2008, 08:27 AM
I use scent block spray almost every day of hunting. May be a little overboard but I'm usually too lazy to change my clothes while hunting and I know I stink.
I've used deer lure before but haven't seen it work. I'll probably try it again later in the season.

Frango
10-22-2008, 08:40 AM
I use scent block and cow elk piss in little plastic containers pinned to my hat.Smells real nice.Works on the females in the Chetwynd bar as well.

newhunterette
10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
always use scent a way wash for our hunting clothes and then I put a small dirt puck into the container that the clothing is stored in - nothing touches it until the day we start hunting - also use no scent body wash and deodorant made also by scent a way

okay here is the girl in me - I have a change of hunting clothes for each day because I really hate wearing clothes i have already worn. If I am on a long trip (which has never happend for me yet) then I may have to rethink my girliness.

oldtimer
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Use scent away as well.
I will dip thin strips of cloth in doe piss and tie onto my boots as I walk. I also have the smoke sticks someone gave or I won that I may try this year when the rut is on. Mike

Ron.C
10-22-2008, 09:15 AM
From a bowhunters perspective,
I practice scent elimination on all my hunting gear, not just my cloths. I use all the scent away products, shower before leaving the house and when in camp, wash up out of a basin daily, and wipe down all gear with scent eliminating wipes, and even go as far as cleaning and spraying the seats/steering wheel of my truck. In my opinion, there's no sence trying to practice scent control if you are not going to do it 100%. I've had elk/whitetail/ blackbears come in from down wind on more than enough occasions to prove to me that it does work. I'm not saying that it's 100% and you are truly scent free to the animals, but when the wind is swirling, or the rut is on and the deer/elk may have other things on his mind besides self preservation, or you just get a young animal that is easily fooled, this ritual reduces your natural scent enough to let you get away with stuff that you normally wouldn't be able to. I also use a natural cover scent as well. Having said all that, you still need to do your best to hunt with the wind in your face, but that can be tough to maintain in the mountains, which is where this helps gives you and edge.

I use attraction scents like tinks for deer, and cow elk urine and have had a few notable experiences. Two years ago, a buddy and I had a spike bull come into us from behind and directly down wind to under 20 yards when he saw me move. He headed "ran" out into a cut block after he spooked and we managed to call him back in, but not in range for a shot. In that situation the bull was focused on a RENZO'S cow elk decoy we has set up and had "Still Steamin" cow elk scent on a wick attached to it. Last year while hunting the archery season in the Koots, I had a 4 pt whitetail walk up a trail toward my treestand "from down wind" and stop and sniff a doe scent. It wasn't a sex attractant, just a regular does scent and he literally touched it with his nose, turned around and walked away. Luckily for me he gave me a shot but he didn't seem to excited about my scent lure, but wasn't spooked by me or the scent. A few year back here on the Island in November, I had a treestand in a thick area. I was in the tree well before shooting light and saw two small bucks first thing that I'd let pass. Around 1:30pm, I was a little bored, restless so I got down walked out to a trail in front of my tree and put a scent wick on a string and saturated it in Tinks 69. I walked down the trail around 100 yards and dragged this thing back up trail, across in front of my treestand "17 yards away" and hung it out of a small tree. Just after 4pm, and fork came flying up the trail, nose to the ground and stopped under my hanging scent and began to lick it, giving me a great shot.
Finally, the first blacktail I ever shot was in a real thick area around the Leech River in November here on the island and I'd hung a scent wick on a trail 10 yards to my left. A small fork came down the trail, stopped and licked my scent, once again giving me a good shot, "10 yards with a 30-06. It was a stretch but I managed to make the shot:eek:

They do work, but just don't expect a sex scent to bring in horny bucks and bulls when they are not rutting, Use them at the proper time.