PDA

View Full Version : Opening day.....

Leaseman
09-12-2005, 10:27 AM
So how did everyone do on opening day? My sons birthday falls on the 10th and now that he is 11 all he wants to do is go fishing and hunting!! (on his 10th birthday he caught a 6 ft sturgeon with a little help!)

We headed up to our usual place east of the coq. toll booth friday night and headed out saturday am to try and find some grouse for him to get into. Headed down one of our little spur roads at the bottom of a slash that I usually see grouse on and he got the 2 grouse he wished for! As we headed away I joked with him to now find me a buck. Within 30 second he says ' Dad there's a buck" and being the kidder he is I am thinking yah right. Sure enough there is a big 2x2 watching us!! As I liik at him I spot movement in the thicker bush up and to the right of him....Glassing all I can see is horns behind some bushes...the buck turns his head and 1..2..3..4 points are seen as the buck explodes out of the bush and to the tree line he heads...I try for a texas heart shot and miss (thankfully) at this point the buck turns to the right and is running flat out at the tree line (which later I ranged the distance which turned out to be 281 yards) so I give him a very slight lead and let fly...He piles up and my trip is over!! (at least the easy part!) An hours drag and a quick gut, load into truck and back to camp.

We saw 31 deer on saturday, just less than half were bucks of different sizes and the nicest part was we saw one other truck for the whole weekend and two guys on quads that were slightly lost!

Great weekend but crappy weather, rain wind snow and hail.....

BCHunter
09-12-2005, 10:42 AM
when do we get to see some pics!!!!:smile:

todbartell
09-12-2005, 11:07 AM
I never got out. probably wont until later this week.

congrats on your success 8-)

Elkhound
09-12-2005, 11:20 AM
when do we get to see some pics!!!!:)

My thoughts Exactly!

Maxx
09-12-2005, 12:26 PM
great story, thanks for sharing, lets see the pics!

Darren
09-12-2005, 12:47 PM
Rain wind snow and hail? sounds like awesome weather to me! Can't wait to get some of that out this way!

Leaseman
09-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Don't hold your breath for pics people....in my infinate wisdom it was my job to bring the camera......no one said anything about film:-(

mike

BCHunter
09-12-2005, 01:46 PM
pics of the skull/antlers?

Fred
09-12-2005, 02:32 PM
Are you willing to tell us which watershed you were on or which road system? Fred

todbartell
09-12-2005, 03:43 PM
what would it matter, the deer he shot there is long gone :p:roll:

Freshtracks
09-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Well done moosefinder. Sounds like your son had quite the birthday. I planned on heading for whitey's opening weekend, but plans changed. :-( Heading this weekend instead, taking Friday off. :mrgreen: Hope to put my oldest son on his first whitetail buck. Anyone got any reports on how the Rock Cr. area was?

Anyone else going to be in that vicinity?

ruger#1
09-12-2005, 09:36 PM
fresh ask ronforca he lives up there, last year there was lots of mulies and whitetails. should be better this year.