PDA

View Full Version : Williams Lake West

tinhorse
10-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Hey I was just wondering if there is much for snow up in the hills west of williams lake yet? The only time I can get off this year is early November and am not sure wheather to head up the mountains or stay in the timber along the rivers? I know the last few years the deer haven't been moving until the end of the season pretty much. Thanks for any responses. :grin:

Ike
10-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Hi tinhorse,
How far West are you thinking? I was in around Bluff and Horn lakes on Saturday and there was no snow in any of the terrain or cutblocks up to 1650m elevation. The mountains beyond had snow starting around 1800-1850m and it looked nice, however we weren't into any of them to actually see how much snow there really is.

Hope that helps
Cheers

tinhorse
10-21-2008, 07:19 PM
If I stay lower down ill be hunting Alexis Creek area. Higher up will be inbetween taseko or tatlayoko lakes and area.

Wild_Dog
10-21-2008, 07:51 PM
I hunted near Alexis Creek (up the Chilko-Newton Road) last year near the 3rd week of October) It was very quiet. Nothing moving. Saw only a few does. Year before that only saw one little buck.

Granted these were only 4 day hunts and more time could have been spent but I think that until the snow gets deeper they're going to be up nearer taseko lake or at least in the higher elevations.

Forecast for Alexis Creek for the next couple of weeks or so is pretty much the same as the cariboo; freezing at night (-4ish) and mild during the day. Chance of flurries now and then. Typical weather.

tinhorse
10-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Yeah I have found the same. The best year I ever had there was in 2003m in early Nov. Hunting the lower elevations there were deer everywhere and I saw the biggest buck Ive ever seen. Of course this is when the 4 pt season was in effect and I could not get a great count as it was thick timber and getting dark. I have not seen deer like that since. Don't know if it is the doe tags now handed out or if the weather was just good that year. Also in 2002 I shot my biggest buck 180+ in the riski creek area on Sept.28 . I just keep hoping that the area will be like that again some time when I go there. Oh well I guess a little hiking in the hills wont hurt!

Ike
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
What I have seen so far around Tatla is things are pretty slow this year as well.
Cheers