PDA

View Full Version : Blacktail hunting

stattonrock
10-21-2008, 06:47 AM
Does anybody have any tips for me for lower mainland blacktail hunting? I just started hunting them and its a different ball game from the open hills that im used to hunting. Anything would be appreciated.

hunter1947
10-21-2008, 06:56 AM
This is what I would do if I was you.

Head out into open slashes and glass them first thing in the morning as for the last hour of daylight ,..
During the day time look for tracks and rubs if find the tracks and rubs then work the area go slow and keep your eyes peeled for a deer.

If your comfortable working the timber then head into the timber ,this is where they will be bedded during the day time ,then just before it gets dark they will start coming out into the slash to feed.

At this time of the year when the rut is on you might get lucky finding a deer out in the slash at any time during the day ,good luck finding your dream buck.

Tarp Man
10-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Welcome to the hellish world of Blacktail hunting. If it is steep and thick, you'll find blacktails. If it is pissing rain, you'll find blacktails. When you least expect it, you'll find blacktails. While not the biggest deer, or (some say) the tastiest, they have to be one of the hardest to hunt. A combination of the terrain they like, the weather they like, and their sheer evil cagey-ness, blacktails are a challenge like no other.

For hunting them in the Lower Rainland, be prepared to hunt smaller areas, and in close cover, often in close proximity to other hunters. Also, you need to check the Special Area Boundaries. Make sure to get your license for this. And check the Municipal boundaries for no shooting zones.

Bobby Jr
09-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Spent this past weekend hunting Squamish for blacktails. Went up the Squamish Valley and up the Mamquam. Didn't see ONE hoof print. We drove/hiked way up high and down low, we prayed to the gods, we tossed a coin in to the fountain. Just couldn't seem to find anything around. Luckily we connected with a few grouse and of course that makes things fun.

I don't mind hiking, actually...even if I just end up going for a nice hike, thats just fine by me. Having my rifle with me and hunting blacktail is just a nice treat while hiking. Hiking for a few hours won't make me shy away from hunting proper areas.

Without asking for anyone's honey hole. Do blacktail even exist in these areas? Are they up way way way high up in the mountains? I'm not looking for that all impressive 10X10 mulie that weighs 400lbs. Seeing ONE deer would be nice! haha
Do I need to hike RIGHT to the top of a craggy peak with ropes and climbing gear just to see any bucks,? It seems that most roads in Squamish lead to STEEP cutblocks that are nearly impossible to hike. Hiking them seems kinda pointless as we didn't see any sign other than LOADS of bear poop. Are blacktails afraid of bears and non-existant in these areas?

I guess finding hoof prints at this time of year is a little hard to do. Snow really helps with that. Wouldn't know a rub if I saw one. But I do know when I see a game-trail with prints and bedding spots with droppings all around. Didn't see ANYTHING like that this weekend.

So, just looking for any hints/tips for hunting blacktail in the squamish area, or in that case...anywhere in the lower-mainland (Chilliwack, Mission, etc...)

Thanks in advance.

Bistchen
09-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Bobby junior,

The big boys are still up in the Alpine. Down low, you will only find spikes and does. Just because there isnt any signage, doesnt mean there isnt any 200 yards away in any given direction. Keep trying.

bandit
09-20-2010, 12:07 PM
Spent this past weekend hunting Squamish for blacktails. Went up the Squamish Valley and up the Mamquam. Didn't see ONE hoof print.

Was up the Mamquam on opening day. Saw 2 grouse and not a single 4 legged animal. Didnt see any hoof prints but one decent lot of deer scat. Pretty bleak considering how big the valley is!

Kevin So
09-22-2010, 12:50 AM
Bobby junior,

The big boys are still up in the Alpine. Down low, you will only find spikes and does. Just because there isnt any signage, doesnt mean there isnt any 200 yards away in any given direction. Keep trying.

What elevations are we talking about? Pass the tree line and deep into the alpine meadows? Was up pass 4700ft in the Mamquam area and saw bear tracks and turds galore, Bobby Jr there got three fat berry fed grouse but no signs of recent deer traffics! pounded the dirt in the forest and scanned the cut blocks like a hawk, is 2-6/2-7 tougher to hunt? Does the geographical location and feature of the area have anything to do with deer population? Lots of bears in the area, do they drive deers out of the area?

Thanks for the pointers!:)

Amphibious
09-22-2010, 04:03 AM
Bobby

I've logged all over the Squamish valley, there are LOTS of deer there. big bears, and some monster elk. hell, we lifted a log out at 4500' that a cougar had stuffed a huge buck under once (rigger ran off with the rack) I would typically see them at dawn, especially when the fog was out. it might be bow only but there are heaps around the squamish airport.