PDA

View Full Version : Hunting close to Langley

Reachkyleh
10-20-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm 32, new to hunting. Willing to do it even if my friends jam out, safe, and have spent a lot of time learning about it, asking questions, reading, asking more questions, and getting out into the bush, even if it's by myself (I do know how to backpack). My mom lives about two hours west of Williams Lake in prime country but I live in Langley. The question is: Can anyone tell me the closest reliable place to shoot a deer or grouse close to Langley BC? I drove to Skagit Valley for the day. Bit of a long day trip and 40$ in gas. Can you tell me where there's any little pockets to hunt like out Golden Ears way, which is a bit closer. Or is there closer places southeast of Chilliwack? I have heard that the top of Sylvester Road is cowboytown and Davis Lake has a lot of traffic and partyers and not safe up there due to some people with guns who don't pay attention to others. And of course, I'm aware there's going to be contact other vehicles and quadders. But with that said, what's the closest I can get for a day trip? Any advice will be gratfully accepted and I will be the first to impart information to new hunters in the coming years. If you don't feel like posting a spot to the community please PM me.

Thanks,

Kyle

Dirty
10-20-2008, 10:18 PM
Lower Mainland is a tough go, it is really hit or miss. Some say that Blacktail deer are the hardest deer to hunt. I would tend to agree with that. You will have better luck if you get out of the truck too. You would almost be better to split gas with a friend and day trip to merritt or princeton. There are lots of roads off the now toll free Coquihalla as well too. I heard Lilloet and Pemberton can be good too. Get a backroads map and away you go.

Mr. Dean
10-20-2008, 11:15 PM
The Coq has been known to spit out a nice buck or two. :wink:

open-sights
10-21-2008, 10:27 AM
An easy day trip is either side of Harrison lake, try getting off the beaten path and keep your eyes out for good sign, B/t's don't have huge ranges and if you find fresh track or rubs, your close and will be able to pattern a decnt buck. The roads are well used but still offer up a few grouse, tough year for grouse all around but there are some. Good luck.

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 11:10 AM
I have never really ever had a productive 'day-trip'. I have given up on them. For the cost of fuel, time spent runnin' back and forth, I find it more productive and benificial to grab a sleeping bag and GO!

With the removal of the tax collecton, the upper reaches of the Coq are vast and now easily accessable. IMO, a guy that doesn't mind wearing out a pair of boots should be able to find something to bring home. Much of the area is untouched and is truly wild. Nearly every time I drive it, deer can be found just off the hyw.

I used to put in a LOT of time down lower, on this side. Last year I called it quits. I had 2 weekend hunts spoiled by atv clubs that were in search of some quality time. Good for them,,, crappy for me.

Much of our immediate surrounding hills suffer from the same. The LML has a HUGE population and a good portion of it that likes to get away, but not wanting to go to far. If you can reach out a bit more, I think would make for a wiser time afield.... And you'll find Muley's also.

Reachkyleh
10-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey thanks guys. I like what you're saying and thanks for the advice. Up at my mom's you can practically run deer over and she literally lives next door to a game butcher. A moose walked through her yard two winters ago. But hey, the work is in the Fraser Valley for me. So here is where I live. I will keep at it and keep trying things out. If anyone likes to blast ducks, I do that too. PM if interested.

Thanks,

Kyle

BCLongshot
10-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Careful who you listen to. Lots of "free" advice here.

You have no idea of the success that has been enjoyed by people around the valley who don't give it up so "freely".

Reachkyleh
10-22-2008, 10:02 PM
Well, I imagine there's people who know what they're talking about and want to help a guy out and somewhere in there lies the truth. Luckily there was nobody recommending that I try Kits or Buntzen Lake. Any of that would sound fishy. I don't mind trying stuff out. Free advice is a good starting point. Lots of woods out there. Plus, you don't know who PM'd me either, do ya! I appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.
Kyle -