PDA

View Full Version : No legal immi

Stillhunting
10-20-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi folks, just wanted to share some pics and stories from my hunting trip in region 3 in early October. We were after an immature bull moose, but weren't able to find one that was legal. We did end up with a nice white-tail, a two point mulie, and lots of grouse, though. Here's a joke for you guys too. What do you do with a moose with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the elk.
The trip started off very well, as I spotted an immature bull in the first hour of the first morning. I thought wow that was easy, but as I stalked in to within 50 yards and looked at him through the binos, I could see that he was a 3X3 just barely. I ended up following him for three hours as he fed and harassed a cow who wanted nothing to do with him. I called him to within 10 yards a number of times just to make sure there were three points on each side. I was hoping he would rub one off, but he eventually bedded down and I decided to try another spot. I didn't see another immature bull the next week, but we did see over 40 moose, and 11 where bulls so if we could only get a draw, we should do well in this area.

I got the white-tail on the last morning about a 1/2 hour into my still hunt around a small lake. There were a few piles of fresh moose scat on the trail so I was expecting to see a moose when I jumped the buck at the edge of a swamp at one end of the lake. He took a couple of bounds in behind some trees, so I quickly used the cover between us to come into a shooting lane at about 50 yards, and the 308 came through. It was another great hunting trip, full of awesome sights and experiences. I'm looking forward to the next one.

Leaseman
10-21-2008, 06:51 AM
sounds like a great trip and nice buck to boot!! Hard running across those swamp donkeys and not being able to drop one!!...:-)

We had a bull and a cow feed by our camp every morning and they knew the regs better than we did! Oh well, there is always next year and the chance at a drwa!

Welcome to the board, great place to tell and read of your successes!

Mike

hunter1947
10-21-2008, 07:03 AM
SH maybe next year you might get a draw for a bull moose in your area.

It sounds like there is a good number of moose in the area you are hunting.

The white tail is no push over ,it looks like a very heavy deer.
At least you got some meat on your trip better then coming home skunked like I have had happen to me some years.

Very fine WT deer you got ,congrats to you.

ratherbefishin
10-21-2008, 07:08 AM
After several of unsuccessful moose hunts-I'm coming to the conclusion that unless you have a draw-better to concentrate on what is open-and have a moose tag just in case you happen to see an immature...

sneg
10-21-2008, 07:30 AM
congrats on your buck. seems you found nice moosey honey hole.good luck next season.

ElectricDyck
10-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a good trip none the less. Nice whitetail! My last two short trips to region 8 I've seen moose, but no spike fork. I even saw a fresh moose head with the skull plate hacked off, so somebody got one.

Oh yeah, good first post, welcome.

Stillhunting
10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
ratherbefishin After several of unsuccessful moose hunts-I'm coming to the conclusion that unless you have a draw-better to concentrate on what is open-and have a moose tag just in case you happen to see an immature...

That's how I hunted last year, and was fortunate enough to stumble upon a legal immi 20 mins from my house on a morning trip for mulies. The only problem was that I was over a mile in the bush. It was a long hard day after dropping the finest eating animal I have ever tasted, but so worth the effort.
If something tastes that good, I think it's worth pursuing even if the odds are stacked against you. Besides, there are always lots of deer, and grouse to bring home if the moose gods don't smile on you. Happy Trails, SH