PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Dean's in prep mode!

Mr. Dean
10-20-2008, 03:55 PM
OK, so after scouring some maps and muddling through some internal conflicts, I have decided on where I'm goin hunting. Good thing.... because I need to leave this weekend! :shock:

I have picked a region that I know zippy about. I have picked a base-camp area that I know even less about. Every decision has been based on me thinking that I know what I'm thinking. This hunt will be interesting, that's fer sure. But it's all about the adventure, right?

Logisticly, the area I'm headed for looks promising. It should produce my meat'er Mulely, noooo problem. :cool:

Today I've been busy getting gear ready. Got the camper cleaned up, fridge is ready, hot water tank had 'tude', its now fixed. Hell, I even mopped the floor! Yes folks, this is serious!

To make sure that the fridge is working up to snuff, I filled the freezer with water filled ice cube trays.... Not that I see a need in needing them, but it's nice to be certain that its working well. :rolleyes:

Right now I'm testing my Mobile Critter Cooler. I plan on being 60+ miles off the pavement and that's the last grief that I need. A coolatron malfunction with no back-up (plan B), would suck! It seems to be working OK; I'll let it run overnight just to be sure.

This IS exciting. I have really only ever hunted 2 areas. Goin in blind to another new one kinda gives a guy a small case of the butterflies. Sooo much to look forward to.... Sooo much unknown adventure that lay's ahead... I love it!

It's like being 'new' all over again. :mrgreen:

Time for the Whack'em Hat...

newhunterette
10-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I am sending you all the good good thoughts and vibes I can - even asked my daddy to look out for you too so straight shootin Dean

look forward to hear the story and pics remember mister we need pictures

Mr. Dean
10-20-2008, 04:13 PM
I am sending you all the good good thoughts and vibes I can - even asked my daddy to look out for you too so straight shootin Dean

look forward to hear the story and pics remember mister we need pictures

Packin light, no camera. Need room for them ice cubes. :lol:

Eichelherr
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Good Luck Dean!!! Have fun!
________
Pronto (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Plymouth_Pronto)

Robinhood
10-20-2008, 04:52 PM
Best of luck Mr. Dean - a new area is always exciting. How long are you goin' for?

showtimebc
10-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey Dean, what region are you headed to this time? Have a good hunt!

I'm still searchin for my big buck in region 3.

Lee

Tikka7mm
10-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Looking forward to some positive results and some good stories Dean...good luck to you!

rishu_pepper
10-20-2008, 05:36 PM
Bag a coyote for me :D

Huey
10-20-2008, 06:41 PM
Go get 'em Dean... I'm sure you'll have no problem filling that porta-cooler!

stroh72
10-20-2008, 06:49 PM
God hates a coward!! And that you are not!! I can relate going in blind can be daunting with the price of fuel and time constraints. When these trips don't produce you regret your decisions all the way home thinking you should have known better but then again when the produce who looks like a rock star?????

Elkhound
10-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Bullets, gun, license, tags, knife, and Wisers whiskey. You are all set my friend

Ambush
10-20-2008, 08:01 PM
Come on Mr. Dean, at least tell us the Region and targeted species. They're all so huge, no one will find you. Besides, one of us might already be camped there.

Good Luck! [if you need luck]

Marc
10-20-2008, 08:03 PM
Have fun Dean, be safe!

Shed Hunter
10-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Good luck Mr. Dean

twoSevenO
10-20-2008, 11:43 PM
best of luck Mr.Dean
awaiting your detailed report and pics of deer ;)

twoSevenO

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 12:00 AM
WOW the responses...If I 'missed' you, it's because I felt that I'm answering the same question for another poster.

Here goes!

Best of luck Mr. Dean - a new area is always exciting. How long are you goin' for?

I got me a whole 2 weeks to play. Nothin' but fear or common sense to hold me back. Goin in alone, using my nose as a compass.

Hey Dean, what region are you headed to this time? Have a good hunt!

I'm still searchin for my big buck in region 3.

Lee

The plan is to hit a couple. I'm on a meat gathering quest And tagged out in 3.

Bag a coyote for me :D

That is part of the plan.... If I get into my 2 meat'ers, the rest of the trip will be used for gathering fur(s).

God hates a coward!! And that you are not!! I can relate going in blind can be daunting with the price of fuel and time constraints. When these trips don't produce you regret your decisions all the way home thinking you should have known better but then again when the produce who looks like a rock star?????

... I wear my sunglasses at night........ Oh yeah! Rock Star, baby!

Bullets, gun, license, tags, knife, and Wisers whiskey. You are all set my friend

+ Fireball + multiple can-o-beers + Extra Spicy Clam juice + Baily's + Vodka + + +
Like WTF.... No cake, pie, cookies, apple crumble, cinnamon rolls,,,, from Tiff?

And you call me a friend... I bet you kiss your Mother with those same lips (argh!)

Come on Mr. Dean, at least tell us the Region and targeted species. They're all so huge, no one will find you. Besides, one of us might already be camped there.

Good Luck! [if you need luck]

The 1st attempt will happen in Reg.........................................% (that's code, you figure it out).

I'm looking for 2 Mule deers and I won't dismiss the opportunistic opportunity of laying down something else, it it gets in the way... Tagged up for all the ungulates.

Have fun Dean, be safe!

Well,,, thanks, Dad.
You be good while I'm gone. Keep mother happy.

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Tomorrow I need to fashion up a racking system for the Critter Cooler. I think I'll use plumbing pipe and make it modular - Each rack should be able to support 2 quarters. If I get a nice day, I'll also wash up the Lodge as it's lookin' a little grimy and bug splattered. A lot of this stuff shoulda been done last week but I fell under w/ a severe dose of the crud. I'm feeling better but still loaded up with,,,, well,, crud. Every morning I need a few minutes for 'cleansing' then I'm pretty much good to go.

I also got me a SPOT device. Mrs. Dean will sleep easy knowing that she can still find me. As long as she gets a check-in every evening, harmony will still be sustained. I've been playing with it for a bit, just to get her and I both acquainted with how it works. Seems like a worthwhile little gizmo. Hopefully it doesn't let us down. New stuff always keeps me a little leery and on the edge.

Here's a pic of 'The Lodge';

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/DSC_0003_edited-11.JPG

The ATV will be staying home.

If any of ya are able to find me - Come on in for a coffee, can-o-beer, Baily's, Fireball shot, Wisers and ginger, Wisers-n-Fireball on the rocks (lottsa ice), ceazar's, glass of wine (red or white, tooty fruity, or BOLD),,,, or just drop me off a pie and leave. I'm not overly picky. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS. DON'T antagonize the dog!
In his mind, this will only make you taste better.

hunter1947
10-21-2008, 05:57 AM
Mr.D in order to find new places you have to do what you are going to do.

Thats what I have found out over the years.
Sometimes a place will not pay off and then sometimes they do.
A person can only find good hunting spots buy working them and seeing what is in that area.

You made a good chose on what you are going to do ,good luck on your hunt and I'm sure the area will produce animals for you ,I'm sure that there will be pic and animals to follow :wink:.

Doe Eyes
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
That looks like a cozy camp...Have a great time!

ElectricDyck
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM
Come on in for a coffee, can-o-beer, Baily's, Fireball shot, Wisers and ginger, Wisers-n-Fireball on the rocks (lottsa ice), ceazar's, glass of wine (red or white, tooty fruity, or BOLD)

That's a lot of reasons to find you, the trick would be finding my way back.:biggrin:

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Mr.D in order to find new places you have to do what you are going to do.

Thats what I have found out over the years.
Sometimes a place will not pay off and then sometimes they do.
A person can only find good hunting spots buy working them and seeing what is in that area.

You made a good chose on what you are going to do ,good luck on your hunt and I'm sure the area will produce animals for you ,I'm sure that there will be pic and animals to follow :wink:.

I errored. This is a Grouse Quest. If I happen to bag something with hoove's, all the better. :wink:

But you are 100% c o r r e c t. If ya wannit, best grab on to the reigns and hold on tight! This ride will be both exhilarating and captivating - Don't let go, because it'll be rewarding too. Even if nothing comes home.

But one would think that after 2 weeks of stomping around,,,,,, one should at least nail 1 Grouse. :smile:

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 10:21 PM
That looks like a cozy camp...Have a great time!

Thanks.... Dat's da plan!

That's a lot of reasons to find you, the trick would be finding my way back.:biggrin:

Could mean new handle for you ---------> shortcircutwilly :redface:

Johnnybear
10-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Good Luck Deano. Solo I love it. I see a Hemingway story coming on after the hunt........... :grin::grin:. I hope it's not to thick of bush where your going as I wouldn't want to put a scratch on the "Lodge":lol:. Very nice rig you have there. I'd leave the jeep at home and take the quad to save on fuel (both hunting and towing). I know the jeep has a heater which is nice but it weighs alot more than the quad. Just a thought.

Jb.

Mr. Dean
10-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Good Luck Deano. Solo I love it. I see a Hemingway story coming on after the hunt........... :grin::grin:. I hope it's not to thick of bush where your going as I wouldn't want to put a scratch on the "Lodge":lol:. Very nice rig you have there. I'd leave the jeep at home and take the quad to save on fuel (both hunting and towing). I know the jeep has a heater which is nice but it weighs alot more than the quad. Just a thought.

Jb.

I use it mainly for scouting/commuting. When compared to the quad, it works like a team of horses compared to 1. All my gear stays dry and it has also served me as an overnighter. I have owned 2 Jeeps since 1992 and have had a quad since 2000.... They're highly over-rated IMO.

Besides, this way I can hunt to town, stop in for lunch and stores, then hunt back to The Lodge. Can't do that on an ATV. :mrgreen:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not kicking quads. They're just not for me when in the bush. I get GREAT use from mine, working around the house.

ElectricDyck
10-22-2008, 04:56 AM
Could mean new handle for you ---------> shortcircutwilly :redface:

:lol::lol::lol:

WoodOx
10-22-2008, 08:37 AM
Good luck Dean - bring back a crank.

What region?

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 09:45 AM
I just realized that if I dump ALL this ice into a tupperware container, I still have enough room for chillin' 6 more trays!!!!

I think I'm on to a 'new' system. :rolleyes:

Agaucher;

This adventure is nothing more than a meat collection. Holding out last year for Tag Soup (:cry:), and me pretty much not being able to get a spring bear hunt in, this year we STARVED! 3 deer in the freezer from this season (any deer) + a 400lb blackie next spring,,,,, I figure that I'll have enough stores that I can try holding out again next fall (read: cranker/booker,,, ANOTHER mount).

OOP'S... I is getting carried away again -------> This is a Grouse Hunt.... This is a Grouse Hunt.... This is a Grouse Hunt... :lol:

Phil
10-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Hey Dean, I'm heading out today to the same area if I read your code right. See you there. When you leaving?

In4TheHunt
10-22-2008, 10:05 AM
Have a kick A$$ time.
Cheers

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 10:20 AM
Hey Dean, I'm heading out today to the same area if I read your code right. See you there. When you leaving?

I should be out an Saturday (25th). Might saunter my way in, stopping to visit some friends along the way. 100% guaranteed that'll I'll be huntin' come Monday. Could ya pack some ice for me? :lol:

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
Phil;

If you check this before leaving... As per our conversation, I will detour over and check out your camp AND pick up that ice from ya. :lol:

My friends in the canyon aren't goin to be around this weekend. Light permitting, I'll be there Sat. If it gets late, Sunday AM (hate playing bloodhound in the dark).

Who knows? Maybe on the drive in, I'll limit out on Grouse. :razz:

twoSevenO
10-22-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey Mr. Dean, if you don't have a retriever for the Grouse i can run/search pretty good :D

Take many pics please :)

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Hey Mr. Dean, if you don't have a retriever for the Grouse i can run/search pretty good :D

Take many pics please :)

Can I tie a small keg of whisky around your neck?
And if so,,,,,,,, would you hog it all to yourself??

You don't lick your ___s, do you.... Thad be a deal breaker. :-?

ElectricDyck
10-22-2008, 05:18 PM

Ahh jeez, too funny!:lol:

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm on the home stretch!

- The Lodge is up-n-on the truck.
- Water tanks are nicely flushed
- Fridge/Freezer is working WONDERFUL (ice is still frozen hard as rocks)
- The Critter Cooler has all been refitted and tested. It receives my stamp of approval.
- Upon testing the HOT WATER tank, I found that the SHOWER hose was broken - Re&Re... Another stamp.

All that's needed is to load up the trailer, pack some grub, cocktails, fuel, propane, hunting gear,,,, and wait like a little kid for Christmas, for Saturday to come.

3 more sleeps.............. :smile:

Chasinracks
10-22-2008, 07:02 PM
hey Mr. Dean, very nice set up. Looks like you're planning on picking up a couple of does along the way to party with. Don't let the Mrs. catch you, capish?!!

twoSevenO
10-22-2008, 08:04 PM

haha ... yes, yes, and no :D

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 08:09 PM
hey Mr. Dean, very nice set up. Looks like you're planning on picking up a couple of does along the way to party with. Don't let the Mrs. catch you, capish?!!

Ahhh man........ Don't even attempt to ruin a good thing. The trip is all about solitude and maintaining a level of peace with one's self. Time to reflect on the memories of those that are Dearly Departed and to scheme up ways of becoming better.

Besides, doesn't matter how BIG the hot-water tank is. One, let alone two chicks; it's never big enough. There would be no peace whatsoever. AND I WANT MY GROUSE!

Mr. Dean
10-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I've confirmed w/ member Phil, that I'll be making the 100+ mile detour of paying he and another a visit. These boys are lookin' for a moose and a deer.

The plan is that I'll roll in fashionably perfect, likely just in time to help haul bullwinkles ass out of the bush. :rolleyes: They need to be out on Monday, so then I'll carry on with my original plan.

Hopefully he didn't forget the ice. :shock:

Steeleco
10-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Good luck D, with all this planning the animals had better offer up a sacrifice.

10-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Have a good trip Dean, hope you find one of those elusive "honey holes".

Elkhound
10-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Okay Dean...talked with ya on the phone last night.......good luck bud. I know you will be gone before I get home from work tomorrow. Safe trip and happy hunting. Damn those grouse better hide.

Mr. Dean
10-23-2008, 11:54 PM
Good luck D, with all this planning the animals had better offer up a sacrifice.

Steeleco is in the house? I thought that that fat bast*** was out huntin'! :confused:

Mr. Dean
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Have a good trip Dean, hope you find one of those elusive "honey holes".

Okay Dean...talked with ya on the phone last night.......good luck bud. I know you will be gone before I get home from work tomorrow. Safe trip and happy hunting. Damn those grouse better hide.

Houston, we maaay have a problem!
I need to find my tequila before I go anywhere :evil:

Lives depend on it... :razz:

Johnnybear
10-24-2008, 12:02 AM
Houston, we maaay have a problem!
I need to find my tequila before I go anywhere :evil:

Lives depend on it... :razz:

There goes the trip:roll:.

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 06:34 PM
There goes the trip:roll:.

The cosmos's are back in alignment!
The trip has been 'saved' (:smile: tequila's on board :smile:) and we is out in the AM!

Lottsa cookies and chips to see me through. It's gonna be a good time. :tongue:

Steeleco
10-24-2008, 06:37 PM
What, your still here?? Bugger off already!!!
Fat B****** indeed. Why I outta :tongue::tongue:

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 06:55 PM
What, your still here?? Bugger off already!!!
Fat B****** indeed. Why I outta :tongue::tongue:

Still tryin' to decide which rifle I should take...

Elkhound
10-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Leave already

ElectricDyck
10-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Have a good trip! I'll road hunt over to see you next week, if you're still there. Good luck on the grouse!:smile:

Steeleco
10-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Still tryin' to decide which rifle I should take...

That's what your telling us, I think it's a colour of lipstick dilemma :eek::eek:

Elkhound
10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
That's what your telling us, I think it's a colour of lipstick dilemma :eek::eek:

Not true.....no dilemma there. you know he always matches his lipstick to his hunting hat.:roll:

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Not true.....no dilemma there. you know he always matches his lipstick to his hunting hat.:roll:

No... Not my hat.

Boxer shorts!

Mr. Dean
10-24-2008, 11:27 PM
Have a good trip! I'll road hunt over to see you next week, if you're still there. Good luck on the grouse!:smile:

DO THAT!

With me detouring to help Phil & Company haul out their critters, I won't be in until Monday afternoon. Tuesday will be game time, big time. :mrgreen:

If ya can.... Bring over some ice, will ya?
We'll have a pop and nibble on a cookie! :cool:

Mr. Dean
11-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Well who's the ROCK-STAR now?!?!?!!

ME!

I've come home w/ 4 wonderful Grouse for my family and I to share AND... I don't wanna see another Moose for a loooong looooong time. 15 in just 4 days of hunting, without a draw,,, IS ENOUGH!

Really; it was like they were playin' head games with me. :shock:

9,876 new posts since my last logging on. It's gonna be a long night.

Mr. Dean
11-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Phil;

Yup.... Blew ANOTHER tire (truck) on the way outta that Hell-Hole. +, one of the two trailer tires that I had work on has gone square, again.

That's 4 in total, Bud - Still wouldn't have missed if for the world though. Thanks for the invite. :smile: