PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat,lynx or both

willyqbc
09-11-2005, 06:24 PM
OK, originally we thought these were a couple of bobcats, but now after closer inspection I'm not so sure. the one on the left is definately a bobcat as evidenced by the white on the back of the ear. The one on the right, I am starting to think is a lynx due to the black tipped beard. what do you guys think?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/91catfight1.jpg

Chris

file2000
09-11-2005, 07:21 PM
I think they are all lynxes. Cauz their legs are so long, bobcat doesn't have such long legs. It's my own opinion though..

swamper
09-11-2005, 08:18 PM
In my humble opinion, they are both lynx, bobcats do not have as long a tufts on the ears. And this is a little far north for the bobcat range, although I don't doubt there are the odd ones around. And the feet on both of these are really big. Another good indicator.

zedex
09-11-2005, 08:26 PM
Im no expert but i would say lynx. I thought Bobcats had a prominant bobed tail .

houndogger
09-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Willy I would say lynx. That one on the right sure has bobcat coloring to though? I hunted in Quesnel a couple of winters ago and you fellas have your share of lynx up there. Great pics release the hounds!:biggrin:

BCrams
09-11-2005, 09:04 PM
They are definatly both lynx .... take a look at the tuft on the ears as well.

Fred
09-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Are they both still alive? :mrgreen: Fred

todbartell
09-11-2005, 11:19 PM
both looks like lynx to me...but im a far cry from a cat expert

Gateholio
09-12-2005, 01:01 AM
both looks like lynx to me...but im a far cry from a cat expert

How about cougars?:mrgreen:

The cats int he pic are lynx.

willyqbc
09-12-2005, 07:35 AM
I'm still not convinced the one on the left is a lynx... found this on a site that researches kitty's

"Bobcat : Appearance: Bobcats display a unique facial ruff at the sides of the face, prominent ear tips, long hind legs, a short black tipped tail and there is a white spot on the back side of each ear. Their large wide spreading feet are covered in fur which can act as snowshoes when needed."

Notice the back of the ear on the one in this picture... it has the same white
marking as the one in my picture.

http://www.bobcatandlynx.com/images/Adult%20Bobcats/Orange_Bobcat_F_3_big.jpg

Chris

sealevel
09-12-2005, 08:31 AM
IMO they are both linx to long legs for a bobcat. Just to big all around for a bobcat.

Elkhound
09-12-2005, 11:29 AM
I gotta go with the crowd on this one. I think they look like lynx. But what do I know

bsa30-06
09-12-2005, 06:40 PM
I gotta agree with the rest of the group lynx, but i'm not an expert on cats. Either way those are great pictures thanxs for posting them.

sniperontheridge
09-13-2005, 12:24 AM
i would say that they are lynx..

willyqbc
09-13-2005, 12:34 AM
well everyone seems pretty well agreed on the fact that they are both lynx, so I will go with that. However i gotta say that the research and info on these two species is certainly confusing and conflicting leaving you more confused than when you started:???: Either way...it is not something I will ever forget!!

Chris

Fred
09-13-2005, 08:29 AM
Willy, I was cruising kinda fast through Riding Mountain National Park one late night and as I made a sweeping left turn I illuminated in the headlights,a Lynx on top of a Grouse in my lane(except that I was cutting the corner in the other lane;) ) and on the shoulder of the road, still in the ditch a mite, there was a Yote sneaking up on the Lynx that this cat hadn't spotted yet.

That too is a sight I will never forget!! :lol: Fred

willyqbc
09-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Too cool Fred!! Just goes to show that even when you think youre on top of things there's someone else trying to get what you got!! LOL!!

Chris

Canuck2
09-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Very awesome pictures, Chris. How many nonhunters ever get to see anything even remotely like that? Nature is full of fantastic sights and interactions.

Offroad
09-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Those look to be both lynx to me. I've seen a couple bobcats over here and they are different from those lynx. But not much.