PDA

View Full Version : Ride - 2, Wolves - no score

Ride
10-19-2008, 10:03 PM
Went to do some pre rut mulie hunting this weekend south of PG and got quite the experience on Saturday afternoon. The day began with me and my hunitng partner heading out in search of some deer. On the drive in we spotted a single doe and LOTS of other hunters. We decided to hit a quiet little spot i knew and arrived in time for about three and a half hours of hunting light. We left the truck and hiked up onto the ridge, following the timberline when we spotted a huge fat doe all by herself as well as a black bear sow with one cub. As we continued on we saw plenty of sign, but no more game, which is very strange for this spot.

We reached the height of land and started to decide on a plan of action when all of a sudden the quiet afternoon was shattered by a great number of howling wolves. It was quite the sound for about one minute and then all of a sudden was gone. We both agreed that was the most amount of wolves either of us had ever heard. Right after the wolves stopped howling i suddenly heard some yelps a ways away from us. At that moment we decided to try to catch sight of them. I pulled out my deer call and gave a couple of short calls. All of a sudden there was a number of yelps out in the timber in front of us and we could hear the noise of animals on the move. We hunkered down and waited. Yelps kept getting closer when all of a sudden I saw the wolf out front appear. About fifty yards away facing me head on. The timber we were in allowed me only the head on shot i had if i wanted to try on this wolf. My partner was just about to whisper to wait for more when i decided it was now or never and i pulled the trigger.

The second the rifle sounded the woods exlpoded with wolves. The wolf hit the ground and in that moment i started counting more. Two there, one here, four over there, they were everywhere. All of a sudden one presented a shot and i took it, hitting the second wolf hard, but it took off. We tried for a few more shotsbut none presented themselves. As fast as the wolves were everywhere they were gone when we heard what sounded like the pack taking the wounded one down. We looked for the second hit wolf but couldn't find it. Walking back to where we started we found the first wolf i hit. 7mm at fifty yards straight on shot. The bullet hit the right side of the chest and rocked the wolf right to the ground, dead before hitting the ground. I estimated her to be about eighty pounds.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S5000105.jpg

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/S50001062.jpg

During the pack out we had more wolves howling all around us and nothing else to be seen. It was quite intense. Her coat is one of the nicest quality hides i have seen. This was also my second wolf this year, hopefully i will be able to find some more.

Sunday found me back in the same area but todays count did not contain any wolves. One fat black bear, two moose, and seven muley does and fawns, but definatley have found another spot to chase bucks in the rut. All in all a good weekend.

LeverActionJunkie
10-19-2008, 10:11 PM
You lucky buggar I been wanting to kill a wolf forever and you got 2 in one year. :) :) Congrats.

todbartell
10-19-2008, 11:03 PM
awesome job! :D sounds like quite the experience

Tikka7mm
10-19-2008, 11:16 PM
Wow! Definitely sounds intense....Good on ya for nailing one!

hunter1947
10-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Very fine pelt on that female Ride ,good going on dropping the two wolves http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

ianwuzhere
10-20-2008, 07:28 AM
high fives ride- i was at this spot this year- usually see at least 5 deer- all does so far and now we have been seein wolves and never any deer. ive never got a shot off at the wolves, hopefully soon...
cheers

1/2 slam
10-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Extra Beer (Or Whatever you drink) for you!!!! :-P The game population will love you.

rishu_pepper
10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks for nailing one for the team :biggrin: Nice hide!

Ride
10-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Here is a picture of the first one i got this year, right before i nailed her.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s72/38boggers/IMG_3505.jpg

Tarp Man
10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
THAT is one sweet shot. I would enlarge it and frame it for the wall!

newhunterette
10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
such beautiful animals

congratulations Ride

I never thought I would be interested in shootin a wolf until I had my little moose down and knew there was wolves waiting in the wings to pounce

how are you planning on having them mounted or are you? just a curious question :)

Ride
10-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Not sure yet. I might just have one tanned and have it as a hide and maybe i'll get a mount. Not sure yet. Lord knows i will be keeping an eye out for more this year!

10-20-2008, 03:51 PM
2 bad you didn't get more, they can sure haul %$%!!
Some areas are really getting over run again, where we hunt goats the goat hair is right in the stool, they are right on the top. I sure would like a late one!
C/T