PDA

View Full Version : The Aprentice

Marc
10-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Well took out a rookie this morning(SVIR-Symon) to give him a taste of what waterfowl hunting can be all about. We managed to scratch 1 Canada Goose, 2 mallards, 3 pintal hens, 2 widgeon and two green wing teal. All in all a decent day, I even let him shoot out of the boat while I laid in the wet grass with the dog. Marshall did pretty good today considering the fog and all.

We're sitting at the table at this moment eating the Canada Goose with Potatoes, Carrots, and Aspatrigus. Looks like another one is hooked.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/19_October_ducks.jpg

Caveman
10-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Nice job Marc!!

johnes50
10-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Looks like Marshall and the duckboat are working out for you. Good to see someone braving the weather to get out and get some birds.

longshot
10-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Sounds like you had a good time, and a good dinner! Nice job

Longshot

Tanya
10-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Great work Marc, nice to see more waterfowlers joining in. We went down to the bay Sunday afternoon, slow, but came home with 6.

rbduck
10-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Nice work Marc. Glad to see another one enter the waterfowling world. Congrats to the both of you on a great hunt. Does the Rookie have lots of money?;-)

Ron:biggrin:

PGK
10-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Rock on man. Good shoot!

Alpine Addict
10-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Great day!

Question Marc, how do you clean your geese? I recentely went on my first goose hunt and got 2. I gutted them and plucked them fully and removed the skin. I was told you are supposed to leave the skin on as it doesnt dry out when cooking? thanks!

AA

Marc
10-22-2008, 07:34 PM
The best way I've found to cook geese is to pluck, gut and put in a oven bag. In the bag it only takes 3 hours to cook the goose to the point where it's falling off the bone. I usually put the carrots, potatoes, and onions in the bag with the goose with about a cup of water for moister. Poke a couple of small holes in the bag and you're ready to rock and roll.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/opening_day_birds.JPG

Great day!

Question Marc, how do you clean your geese? I recentely went on my first goose hunt and got 2. I gutted them and plucked them fully and removed the skin. I was told you are supposed to leave the skin on as it doesnt dry out when cooking? thanks!

AA

MB_Boy
10-22-2008, 07:49 PM
Great day!

AA

AA....we always used to leave the skin on for the reason you say. One thing that adds a bit of "flavour" (although it is not necessarily needed to "add" flavour) is if you are "roasting" the birds put a slice or two of bacon over the top. It's been years since I have had a goose that I have cooked but I remember my Mom doing this occasionally. Mind you she had a BAD habit of overcooking them. :-(

Marc
10-23-2008, 05:35 AM
My father used to use the bacon trick as well, by using the oven bag it's hard to mess it up and keeps the birds moist. Depending on how hot your oven cooks, it only usually takes 2 1/2 to 3 hours to cook a goose at 350.

AA....we always used to leave the skin on for the reason you say. One thing that adds a bit of "flavour" (although it is not necessarily needed to "add" flavour) is if you are "roasting" the birds put a slice or two of bacon over the top. It's been years since I have had a goose that I have cooked but I remember my Mom doing this occasionally. Mind you she had a BAD habit of overcooking them. :-(

Marc
10-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Great work Marc, nice to see more waterfowlers joining in. We went down to the bay Sunday afternoon, slow, but came home with 6.

We left around 1:00pm, things were slowing down and we still had a goose and 9 ducks to pluck and gut before the night was out. I was quite surprised that we were the only ones out there all morning until I'm guessing it was you Tanya that the other shots were coming from. It's still pretty slow on the bay but nice to see a variety of ducks flying around.

The one goose we managed to take was full of corn from its mouth on down to its stomach, it was a great eating bird and enjoyed that evening. The next day I took the leftovers for lunch.I put some goose, potatoes, and carrots on my plate and put it in the microwave. The smell of roast goose permeated through the office. It was like a pile of sea gulls fighting over a french fry when I took what I wanted and told the boys to have at her.

SVIR-Symon
10-23-2008, 10:17 PM
Ya know Marc, since your calling me your apprentice that makes you my
journeymen, I guess your stuck with me for four years now...sucker..ha!

Had a great time, if more places allowed Dog's I would have one. and take up the sport full time was a blast(pardon the punn).

Marc
10-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Ya know Marc, since your calling me your apprentice that makes you my
journeymen, I guess your stuck with me for four years now...sucker..ha!

Had a great time, if more places allowed Dog's I would have one. and take up the sport full time was a blast(pardon the punn).

That's fine, for the next 4 years you can learn to call the shots. No more don't shoot it's a merganser or bufflehead. My rules are, if you shoot it, you eat it.:mrgreen:

Probably the biggest threat of messing up this fall is the high number speckle belly geese. There must have been a few hundred this fall working the bay and fields. I could have easily shot some if they were open on the Island. If it wasn't for their distinct honking it would have been easy to mistaken them for Canada's in the early morning light.