PDA

View Full Version : Looking for GSP

Dog soldier
10-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Does anyone know of a GSP (German Shorhaired Pointer) breeder ,who favours the original european build of Shorthairs. That being -the broad square-ish head and muzzle. Broad shoulders and deep chest.
We lost our girl last November and are now looking for another pup. Would prefer that type as opposed to the slimmer, narrow head build, that is favoured in Canada and the U.S.

huntingfamily
10-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Hey DS,

If shorthairs are your passion, you should consider a kurzhaar ('shorthair' in german). German lines only and both parents must be tested & proven in versatility prior to breeding.

Check out this website for more info:

http://www.nadkc.org/index.htm

Good luck!

Timber-hunt
11-02-2008, 02:44 AM
got my dog form a breeder in Alberta great dog

www.peregrinegsp.com

Tuffcity
11-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Here's another possibility. http://www.hunterspridegsp.com/

RC

dutchie
12-21-2008, 01:46 PM
the dog you are looking for is called a Deutsch Kurzhaar. Be carfull with these dogs, altho they have by far the most pray drive out of any animal, they can be aggressive due to thier true breeding lines.

Deutsch Kurzhaars are originaly trained in germany to track and kill small game. These are not like the american GSPs. they are alot more head strong, and independant. and yet they are still great companions and hunters if trained properly.

One of my good friends has 4 GSP's and 2 Deutsch Kurzhaars and has brough them all to the NAVHDA's MH and VC and both Kurzahaars are DC but the Kurzhaars are kennel dogs due to thier extra aggression.

dutchie

Mooseman
12-21-2008, 02:17 PM
I had Deutsch Kurzhaar (DK) for 24 years both from Germany and from Canada. I made the following observations and hope they help you some:

The dozen or so DK that I know or knew in Germany have been very good hunters and companions. As for training them I would place them in to a medium degree of training difficulty. Usually but not always the males have been more head strong, thus tougher to train but they also hunt a little harder. Never have I seen one that was aggressive towards people or it's master. Within reason of cause. Not all will let you take food away from them. That is a domination issue most of the time.

The fife DK that I know or knew in Canada have been similar. The most obvious characteristic difference I observed was that the DK from here were more hyper, very "bouncy" and need lots of space and run time to be somewhat manageable.

If you would like a contact in Germany to get a pup, let me know. There are options.