PDA

View Full Version : What's the best hunting setup?

Gun Dog
10-19-2008, 04:07 PM
I have a pickup and 16' trailer to live in. That give me a place to hang my hat and a vehicle to drive around and load up with deer. The downside is the truck is big, I'm always nervous about getting stuck far far from camp and if it breaks I'm SOL.

A friend has a pickup, camper, car trailer and Jeep TJ. A nice little jeep for cruising around, a trailer to haul game home and he has a backup vehicle. The downside is he weighs in at 18,000 pounds.

Some people bring ATVs but that's expensive if they're only used for hunting.

What's your setup on an expedition for a week or more?

hillclimber
10-19-2008, 04:15 PM
Truck, tipi, trailer. Usually i go with a group of people so if i get stuck or vehicle breaks down there are many hands available to help.

Steeleco
10-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Usually it's a Tent set up, the Jeep gets us into an area and the feet do all the work. If we get stuck, the winch will save the day.

Often times folks drive right by animals on their way to the secret sopt!!

hunter1947
10-19-2008, 05:37 PM
I usually go with 4 people and two trucks with one or two quads and we stay in a wall tent.

Sometimes i go by myself and I use my truck with quad and tent to have when I am hunting by myself.

I really don't worry about breaking down in the bush ,there is always someone that I will see in there if I do have a problem.

I can always get back to my camp by walking if I ever had ether truck or quad break downhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

recoil
10-19-2008, 07:14 PM
You could go with a cargo trailer, they can be be pulled by a v-6 if you get a smaller one (6'x10') , relatively inexpensive and they will carry your quad and doube as a roof over your head once you get to your camping area. You can add insulation, heater, cot and what have you. Just make sure you get one that has 6' inside height otherwise you will have a sore noggin. Mt continental cargo is 6'1" inside.

johnes50
10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I take my truck and camper and my son, daughter, or friend drives my Tracker. I little expensive on gas, but real handy to have the Tracker. My truck and camper gets 12mpg, my Tracker gets 27mpg so if I average it out I get 19.5mpg if I take both vehicles. I figure I'm ahead.:smile: