PDA

View Full Version : One wild weekend

riflebuilder
10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Yesterday afternoon I quit work early and was debaiting weather or not to go to AB to hunt pheasants with my relatives. I went into the house to talk to the wife to see if she wanted to go with me to let the kids visit Grandma. She said no and the oldest had a soccer tourney in Cranbrook. I figured what the heck I should just go and shoot some birds anyway. Back outside to head over to my office to gear up and grab my dog...NO DOG. I spend the next three hours waiting and searching for my dog..I am totaly bummed out as I just got her this spring and she is a great dog. I whent all over asking if anyone had seen her. I stoped at the local store and they mentioned that the SPCA guy had been there a few hours earlier. So I call the SPCA and they said yes they had a GWP just come in that thier special constable had picked up in Skookumchuck. I asked where they said by the store. Hell that is 50' from my house. Anyway she was safe and I could pick her up the next morning. So I not going to be able to go hunt birds I might as well take a drive and see whats moving. I headed out to the back 40 to a spot looking out over a river canyon to watch the eagles and relax a bit. Out of the corner of my eye I see something moving down in the river bottom. Out come the bino's and there are two Whitetail bucks standing just in the trees across the river. Well the long and shot of it is one shot and a nice 4x4 buck made it last dash for the timber. I hiked on down to the river and did the neccisary chores as it was getting dark i pulled the buck out onto a gravel bar for the night. The next morning I woke up the kid and we grabbed the canuoe and headed up the trail to the canyon. As we started up the hill I looked over the valley and saw a Cow Elk. Cool to bad there wasn't a 6 point bull but I have not seen any legal bulls this year. Then bingo there is a bull and he is a 6 point I tell the kid to get out and shoot but he says it is too far. So I grab my rifle and take a rest and down he goes at the shot. So off we go and retreave the whitetail buck. A wild ride down the river with rocks and trees we made it out of the canyon. then off to the other bench to get the bull. So even if you are having a terrible day there is always the possibility that it is going to get better.

PS the dog is back and she is doing great, and I get lots of deer and elk steaks as a bonus.

asurebet
10-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Glad to hear that everything worked out for you! Congrats on the harvest, It will be good eating for you.

ElkMasterC
10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
You keep your dog at the office?

Did I miss something here?

kayjayess
10-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Do you have any pics? Congrats BTW

riflebuilder
10-18-2008, 09:04 PM
the office is 50 yds from the house. I have pics but they are two big to post.

Steeleco
10-18-2008, 09:21 PM
the office is 50 yds from the house. I have pics but they are two big to post.

Upload them to photobucket.com or e-mail to me and I'll post them if you like.

BTW great story!!!

rocksteady
10-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Tagging out 2 of your 3tags in that short of a perion...Almost unheard of....

Congrats, you ain't gonna starve this winter.....

I did not realize you lived up skookumchuk....Kind of a sleepy little community, right in the middle of some of the provinces best hunting for a wide variet of speciesy.....

Can't wait for the pics....Which of your numerous custom built rifles did you use....

doubled
10-19-2008, 08:24 AM
Wow, what a story. How do you fit that entire horse up your xxx? You are one lucky fellow.

Blainer
10-19-2008, 08:27 AM
That is one fine story.
Look forward to the pictures.

TIKA 300
10-19-2008, 09:32 AM
NO PICS ???????? no reply.......LOL !!

riflebuilder
10-19-2008, 05:50 PM
I will post pics tonight I have to find the camera. I used my 340 Wby so far it has been shot at game 4 times and dropped every one. I am beginning to realy like this rifle.

Poguebilt
10-19-2008, 05:59 PM
nice hunt! there are some very nice spots up there! your lucky to live there!

riflebuilder
10-19-2008, 07:32 PM
1612here are the pics

riflebuilder
10-19-2008, 07:34 PM
I tried to make it bigger and put up the kid and the canoue but it is saying that I am exceeding my limit so if anyone knows how I can just email them the pictures.