PDA

View Full Version : Advice on area of 4-8 near Ymir

msawyer
10-18-2008, 06:32 PM
Hello all...

I'm looking at acquiring a small cabin in the Ymir area and wanted to know if anyone has thoughts on the quality of hunting and fishing in the hills east and west from Ymir... Any intelligence will be greatly appreciated...

Take care

Mike
________
The Toyota Way (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/The_Toyota_Way)

Chuck
10-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Geez... pretty tight valley there with Salmo river running through is best described as a good creek. Direction of valley and elevation tends to be cooler than other areas, sundown comes quick and somewhat of a snowbelt in winter. Small trout in adjacent creeks on valley east side. Ho-hum hunting imo, but there are elk, deer, bear, blue and ruffed grouse. Access is available up most draws which have creeks and are/were logged, but and imo hunting terrain is steep and not especially prime hunting country imo. There was a time when to the west was a prime mulie country, but then that could probably be said about nearly everywhere. Can't be sure of the town population, but it's small, semi-secluded and quiet. If I hunted or sneaked around there I'd definitely use an ATV or snowmobile in winter. Skiing is fairly big and is popular nearby. 20 or 30 minutes to Nelson, a little longer to Trail in the other direction.
Hope this helps some.

Brambles
10-18-2008, 09:58 PM
ELK and Moose are LEH in 4-8.

Ymir is a backwoods town, Lots of hippie types in that area. Population is not very many. They have a Bar but thats about it, not sure if there is a convieniance store and there isn't a gas station. Salmo is a little bigger an has a few more convieniances, about 10 minutes away South. Ymir is the snow belt, they get lots of snow, its a cold valley and the road between Ymir and Nelson in the winter always has a good layer of ice on it. Bush is thick. If you see a couple deer a day, up to half a dozen or so then your doing good.
Good Grizzly bear population but no tags avaliable.
If your getting a good deal on a cabin then there is probably a reason why.