PDA

View Full Version : Archery/Tree Stand hunters - question

WoodOx
10-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Ive been hunting a particular tree stand for mule deer and see 3+ bucks every time I go in. The tree stand is above a hillside in which these guys feed nearly almost every evening.

Question is that almost every time I have to spook them out of there just to get out of my stand.

Does this happen to a lot of you? How do you get out without spooking then all away? Do you think theyll eventually correlate that area with a human randomly climbing outta a tree?

Thanks in advance

J_T
10-18-2008, 11:22 AM
If I understand correctly, it sounds to me like this is an evening stand site only. Unless there is a longer route for a morning that allows you to circumnavigate their location and activity.

Will they catch on to you climbing a tree? Yes. You are attempting to pattern them and they stay alive by patterning things going on around them. Will it affect their movements? Perhaps not for a while, but the moment, you take one of them. They'll pattern the result.

johnk
10-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Ive been hunting a particular tree stand for mule deer and see 3+ bucks every time I go in. The tree stand is above a hillside in which these guys feed nearly almost every evening.

Question is that almost every time I have to spook them out of there just to get out of my stand.

Does this happen to a lot of you? How do you get out without spooking then all away? Do you think theyll eventually correlate that area with a human randomly climbing outta a tree?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you have a self-climber. Is that correct? Try leaving it up and using a ladder. That should make you a lot quieter. There is a spot I've hunted for 6 years that holds a good population of quality bucks at the back end of the cutblock. I scout it all summer and hunt it from September to December and have never seen another hunter in there and it is my opinion that that is why those big boys are living there. Spooked one too many times and I fear they would leave permanently.

WoodOx
10-18-2008, 12:16 PM
hmm yes self climber

my issue is that if I leave a self climber up, itll get stolen. furthermore others will see the climber, realize it may or may not be a good spot and hunt the spot.

Yes, the deer seem to only feed there in the evenings. They have yet to catch on as they really like the growth in the area to feed on, and when I do have to get outta the tree well into dark, they hop 50-150m away and just chill there while I leave. not super spooked, but I am concerned that I will eventually condition them.

bruin
10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
Is there a possibility of hunting them on a travel route to the feeding area rather than right at it? You would be further away.

WoodOx
10-18-2008, 05:27 PM
possibility yes, but there are about 8 routes all travelled equally, therefore chances would be greatly reduced. bow only area

Bow Walker
10-18-2008, 08:44 PM
Another option is to wait untill well after dark. Then come out as quietly as you can.