PDA

View Full Version : 2005 success(and paying mattb back)

Kirby
09-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Well, yesterday morning, know that it would be the last day of archery season, I headed out to my area, and began by sitting a stand for about as long as I had the patience, after some does, and small bucks had fed past, I began to make a large loop, heading back to my car by still hunting along a ridge I knew big bucks to use for bedding. After about an hour, I was pretty wet from the rain, and, and wasn't seeing much, however, as I was beginning to head into the last stand of timber, I noticed a shed about 30m below me on a hill, I walked over to it, after putting it on my back, as I was turning around to start still hunting again, I noticed antler tips around 60 yards out sticking up over some grass. my bino's revealed this to be a 4x4 buck, I decided that if I got a chance I would take him, after working my way to 27 yards I began waiting for the buck to stand from his bed, and provide me with a shot, after a short wait the buck obliged, and stood, turning to offer me a slightly angled towards shot, as the buck stood, I had drawn my bow, placed the pin on his chest, however, right as I pulled the trigger on my release the buck pulled his leg back, instead of a clean lung hit, I heard the arrow crack into bone. The buck doubled up, and leapt off a cliff, pile driving himself into the dirt, however, he got back to his feet and started making tracks, I lost sight of him after 100 yards, but could see blood on his sholder. I made my way up to the spot where he had been standing when I took the shot, with no sight of blood, or hair on the ground, I was pretty worried, I did manage to find the last 12" of my arrow broken off, and in the grass, the arrow, as I suspected was covered in blood, however, with the bad shot, I was torn between going right after the buck, or waiting, and risk loosing the trail to the rain, after 30 minutes I made a slow loop around, without seeing the buck, I decided that it would be better to pull back, and wait for the buck to bed down, and then come back later. I headed out to my car, knowing that if I stayed in the area I would convince myself to go look for him, I decided I should get out, and stay out of the area, so I headed in to University to attend the lecture I had originally planned on skipping. Invert Zoology couldn't pass fast enough, when it was done I hit the parking lot running, I stopped by my house to grab my dog, as I hoped she might locate it by smell. Then immediatly heading back to my area. after picking up the trail, was able to follow it for about 150 yards, before the rain which hadn't stopped all day had removed all the sign. I settled in for a long night of searching, taking toilet paper, I began a grid search. After several hours I got a cell phone call from mattb, he immediatly headed out to help me look for my deer. Before matt could get out to my area, my dog began to act up, and growl at a stand of maple, and birch, expecting nothing more than a black bear I knew to live in the area, I was very happy to see my buck lying on the ground. Having left all my gear when searching, I headed back out to meet matt on the road, and bring him in, figuring it was pay back after getting to pack out 1/2 his buck, he could help me with mine.:mrgreen:

Matt and his Roommate showed up, and we headed back to the buck, after some quick photo's, and a quick gut job, me and matt took ahold of the buck, and began dragging it while andy carried out all the packs, and my bow, luckily, there was an old logging road with grass about 60-70m away, which we dragged the buck down to the trucks. the buck was out and in the truck at 6:00pm, 11 hours after my shot.

Now, for the pics of my buck.
http://forum.bowzone.ca/gallery/files/2/3/1/6/2005buck3.jpg
http://forum.bowzone.ca/gallery/files/2/3/1/6/2005buck2_edited.jpg

Me and matt laid a tape on the buck, it came out with a green score of 175" and change.

Kirby

talver
09-10-2005, 06:08 PM
NIce buck great rack on it

DBM
09-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Holy smokes,

I love to see success with the bow. That's a nice buck for sure.

09-10-2005, 06:22 PM
congrats on a successfull hunt!! nice animal.........

ex bc guide
09-10-2005, 06:23 PM
way to go,congrats
Mike

Fido
09-10-2005, 07:22 PM
nice buck way to go guys. Looks good on you.

BCHunter
09-10-2005, 07:31 PM
thats a nice buck! a perfect 10

Steeleco
09-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Congrats guys, nice buck for sure, and all that time left for more.!!!

Sikanni Stalker
09-10-2005, 09:02 PM
great job, congrats on the tracking too!

Freshtracks
09-10-2005, 09:38 PM
Way to go Kirby. Awesome buck period. Now how about a follow up on the shot damage. Damage, how far the deer travelled ... ?

Again congrats.

Rookie
09-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Beautiful Buck Kirby, way to go man!!

Kirby
09-10-2005, 10:32 PM
The arrow hit his front sholder, from the looks inside the cavity, the arrow busted through the sholder, and took out the closest lung, without getting the heart, and at best clipped the offside lung. the deer traveled farther than any animal i have ever shot, the totall distance was around 250 yards, around 125 on flat ground, then down a hill about another 125, it looks as if he had bedded, and died, so I am really happy I hadn't pushed him.

The specs on equipment is
Alpine Teton light(in pic) @68#,
Gold tip 5575 carbons
85gr Spit-fire mechanicals(the held up after breaking through the sholder)
Cobra Sidewinder Sight, Scott caliper release, and Golden 3-D rover rest

Kirby

Kirby
09-10-2005, 10:33 PM
Congrats guys, nice buck for sure, and all that time left for more.!!!
Man you got that right, my Goat LEH is burning a hole in my pocket:smile: , and moose, sheep, and then mulies in region 8! I still got lots of time, maybe I should skip class this week?:mrgreen:

Kirby

BwanaDave
09-11-2005, 08:28 AM
Well done Kirby!!!

Nice Buck!

Thunderstix
09-11-2005, 10:23 AM
Holy cow! That buck is now in my dreams and keeping me awake at night! Sweeeeeeeet!

greybark
09-11-2005, 10:45 AM
:-D Hey Kirby, Congratulations on your buck and your classic recovery and the good timing of your help. It looks nice and healthy.

REMEMBER -- Keep Your Fingertab On --

Freshtracks
09-11-2005, 10:59 AM
Nice info for other archery enthusists to refer to Kirby. The distance travelled, although furtherest you've experienced, it's still relatively for an animal properly hit. :mrgreen:

btw - did this buck perk any interest by Matt in flinging arrows? :p

Nothingbut7mmmag
09-11-2005, 11:02 AM
thats a very nice trophy,my brother got one yesterday morning about that same size,he will be putting pictures up as soon as he deveops them.But anyways thats an awesome buck.

Kirby
09-11-2005, 11:10 AM
Freshtracks, definatly a relative distance, my next longest archery recovery was my first black bear, it covered 75 yards through open fiend, and then piled up. This was the second time I have hit sholder, and the first time I haven't achived a complete pass through:| . As I think back on it, I think that i pulled the shot forward when I released. I think matt is gonna stick with the rifle, he gets enough big bucks with it, he doesn't need to go archery:-D !

Thunderstix, glad I could help out.:-D

Kirby

BCHunter
09-11-2005, 11:24 AM
are you getting it mounted?

willyqbc
09-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Right on Kirby!! Great buck! Congrats!

Chris

Darren
09-11-2005, 01:49 PM
Very nice looking Buck!

MattB
09-11-2005, 02:58 PM
I'll just be sticking with the rifle for now. Maybe once i have a booner muley i will try going with the bow, but until that day i will stick with the gun 8) . Well, maybe i will have to give early season archery a try when im done school and have the time and money for archery hunting.

Farmer
09-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Nice Buck Kirby. Good job and perserverance on the tracking.

Gord

Kirby
09-11-2005, 03:43 PM
BC, won't be getting it mounted, I just can't afford it(university sucks), think I'll do a european mount. Maybe once I get more money kicking around, I'll get it done. But I still have region 8 for mulies, and my goat tag. If I get a nice goat with the bow, I'll likely be getting it done, so saving cash for it.

Kirby

BCHunter
09-11-2005, 04:06 PM
you could always freeze the hide or just get it tanned until later when the $ flow is better

good luck on your goat hunt

Kirby
09-11-2005, 04:21 PM
I could save it, but hides only freeze for a year-1.5, and I'll be in uni for 2-3 years, and more if I do a masters.

Kirby

todbartell
09-11-2005, 04:26 PM
wow what a nice buck! :D

congrats on that hawg :biggrin:

Amphibious
09-12-2005, 12:47 AM
sweet jesus that is a nice buck!!! congrats

Elkhound
09-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Very nice buck.

3kills
09-12-2005, 04:51 PM
dam kirby thats a sweet buck...congrats....

Ken
09-14-2005, 07:08 PM
nice buck, good job!

Lt
09-14-2005, 09:26 PM
Congrats, great looking buck, nice to see bone instead of velvet.

Kirby
09-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Ken, your profile says you live where I hunt:mrgreen:

Lt, you got some hogs man, I would love to chase one of the guys you have taken!

Kirby

Ken
09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
Ken, your profile says you live where I hunt:mrgreen:

Shhhhh dont tell anyone! ;-)