PDA

View Full Version : German Wirehair

Russmi
10-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Hi I'm looking for some input on this type of dog. I've done some research but I'm more interested in someone with hands on experience. I have 3 kids aged 4,7,10 and I like duck hunting in the field out front of my house. I have the room for the dog but want to know how they are with smaller kids compared to say a lab. I'd like to try and train it for upland birds also but I'm new to it so we'll have to see. The pups I'm looking at are 450.00 without papers. I don't have the willingness to pay 1000.00 for a dog so I'm looking at this route. Any opions, comments would be appericiated.

PS if you have a different type of dog I'm all ears, but it has to be able to swim and retreive and be good with kids

The 'Hummer'
10-17-2008, 05:54 PM
For bird hunting, the first breed of dogs I had anything to do with was German Shorthairs. Terrific hunters, great on upland birds, great with kids & as a family dog. The ones I had, concerning hunting, trained easily for pointing, had a great nose, soft mouth and although they could swim like a fish, had some difficulty dealing with really cold water. On upland birds, what I did really like about them is they worked closer to you than say an English Pointer and in some of the thick west coast conditions, I found that to be an advantage.The only down side I experienced with them was they could be a little 'boneheaded'.
With duck hunting and keeping the probability of cold water situations in mind, I thought the best of both worlds may be a German Wire Haired Pointer. That didn't turn out to be one of my best choices in life. Admittedly, while I only had one, I found that although they had many of the qualities of a German Short Hair and could handle cold water situations better, they were even MORE boneheaded. Again, I only had one but none the less, that was my experience.
When I retired, I thought I'd try something even calmer and opted for a Yellow Lab. As a 90% pet and 10% hunting dog, she's a jewel!! However, there will always be a special place in my memory and my heart for German Short Hairs.

huntergirl270
10-17-2008, 06:18 PM
Our experience with wire hairs told a different story. Much calmer than a short hair even at puppy stage and EXTREMELY INTELLIGENT to the point of being too smart sometimes. They are more aloof than a springer or a short hair (will ignore strangers and only focus on their family) They are very loyal and my 1.5 yr old daughter was able to walk ours around the yard by herself when she was still a puppy (9months) but almost full grown size.

We gave her up to another hunter from this site as we had acquired her only temporarily, from someone who owned an apartment in westvan(why anyone would get a large dog and live in an apartment I'll never know) to find her a new home.. fell in love with her and wanted to keep her (we had her for some time) but in the end decided we wanted what was best for her and that was to do what she was bred to do.... HUNT.
Hubby was already training our springer spaniel and didn't have the time it would take to do the separate training for a pointer. Although she did come to us with some issues she left as an amazing loyal very special dog and was a STELLAR family pet. I really wish we could have kept her just as a family dog but it wouldn't have been fair to her and she ended up in a great home with someone very familiar with the breed and kids too so it worked out in the end :)

I would highly recommend the breed to anyone. Just do your research before you make a final decision. Read anything you can find on the breed.. Good bad and ugly.

Here is a good site that sounds pretty accurate.http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/germanwirehairedpointers.html

You do need to make sure the puppy knows who is boss from the very beginning. There are several easy/non violent ways to do this. The pup/bitch we had was aggressive towards anyone but the alpha of the family but that is because she was brought up on treats and no training where she came from. In a week we had her settled right down and it was easier than we thought it would be. The previous owners had hired some yuppy dog whisperer person to come and check her out as they were having trouble with her. All they needed to do was ask something of her before they gave her a treat and make sure she was aware that the entire family was higher on the totem than she by them all eating first and each person exiting the door ahead of her etc. They are a breed who want to be the alpha of the family but will settle into a lower slot if taught right and be extremely happy with it. Buy a book specific to the breed

GOOD LUCK.. I think as long as you make sure there isn't any close genetic inbreeding in the pups you'll do well. Good price!
Remember also that females tend to be more stubborn than males.
Post pics if you get one :)

ALSO POINT : German Wire Hairs are not shorthairs with different hair... they come from an entirely different lineage!!!!!

huntergirl270
10-17-2008, 06:24 PM
Should have also said that hubby tried her out at 9months after having no experience himself or her(the dog) on retrieving and she caught right on.

Th0r
10-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Cannot speak from personal experience as I have a beautiful black and tan hound mix. However, I have met many German wirehair owners who love them as outstanding family pets and smart dogs. I cannot comment on the hunting smarts though. Good luck.

Sasquatch
10-18-2008, 01:41 AM
I've never hunted ducks with a GWP but I did once hunt grouse over one. She was a great dog and a blast to hunt with.
They are a lot of dog and require no small amount of exercise and work.

My choice was a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon, but I wouldn't hesitate to have a GWP. The Griffs are supposed to be a little easier to handle and train, not sure if that is true or just myth.

I would recommend seeing the parents and if possible watch them work some birds. If both the parents are good hunters you are probably on the right track.

Nice bonus with all the wirehairs is they don't shed.

Timber-hunt
10-18-2008, 07:50 AM
GSH and GWH pointers are great up land game dogs love to watch them work if you plan on useing them for ducks in colder weather they are thinner coat and can get hyprthermia quicker then a lab you can always get them a water coat , hunter girls is right they are very bone headed and need a lot of exercise but very INTELLIGENT,I have a GSP were he stays closer to me then a friends GWP when we hunt his dog will go in the thick rasberry bushes were mine will stick his head in and look at me to go get the bird lol Good luck