PDA

View Full Version : Big Bar Info

jessonml
10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey all
Heading out on Monday the 20th to do some mulie hunting and will also have moose tags if we see an immature. Just wondering what some of you thought of the big bar area 3-31 and 3-32. Ive been looking at sat. photos and maps and we're thinking of heading in just past Clinton on Big Bar Lake road.
I know this area is typically wintering grounds for deer but was wondering if it would be decent now. I don't have a very good understanding of deer migration. Where are they coming from? higher elevations I know for bucks but will we find them at higher elevations in this area? I can't seem to figure out where any high ground is here.
Any pointers, insights, advice is very greatly appreciated.
I am a new hunter with one year under my belt and my good friend got a deer last year when we were out so Im hoping its my turn. We will be out for 3 days this trip and returning to possibly the same area for 6 days in Mid November. Camp is a wall tent and I have a 4x4 with good tires for snow.
Thanks everyone,
Matt

jessonml
10-17-2008, 03:47 PM
oh yea and we're not afraid of hiking...

jessonml
10-18-2008, 12:16 AM
no one has info? what about just the deer migration part? Im very interested in that...

FLHTCUI
10-18-2008, 09:13 AM
You did say your not afraid of hiking....
Just came back from Scotty Cr and seen lots of does and a few spike bucks of which I was able to knock his liver out his side ;).
Them thar hills go up and down , so get out when you find a good looking spot with trails and tracks and turds, then the hiking begins.
Also , make sure you glass everywhere . Then glasss the area again.
As for Moose, didnt see any sign where I was, but that doesnt mean you might blunder into one.
Just make sure it is an imature before you pull the trigger.
Just my .02 worth this fine morning.
Rob
btw, the Snowies are flying in the West Richmond area :)

David Heitsman
10-19-2008, 01:24 AM
Jessonml:

A few years ago Half Slam and I booked a cabin at the Big Bar guest ranch
for a few days near the end of the season and looked around for muleys.

We didn't see much deer but the other hunters staying there were all seeing them but not giving much clues as to where they were hunting. I suspect they are on the river coulees dropping into them from the grazing areas and hay fields in the area.

The trip was actually quite enjoyable as the staff at the ranch prepared
breakfast and sack lunches and we would then gather for a great dinner
in the dining hall. The waitresses were quite entertaining as well. They seemed to enjoy our hunting tales

jessonml
10-19-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey thanks guys. Truck is loaded and the alarm set. Im excited and will post any pics when we get back.

jessonml
10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
Wow what a great time. Set up camp real well although our Kettle River Stove arrived one day late. It wasn't very cold though, unfortunately.
Saw an unbelievable amount of does. Up high, down low everywhere!
We'll be going back later in the season.
My friend had a grizz hightailing it away from him. Real big fat one he said.
We tried hard but couldn't find a buck. Ah well the season isn't over yet and the best has yet to come.
What a beautiful area.
Matt

tomahawk
10-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Great attitude, good luck next time!