PDA

View Full Version : Can't Find BUCKS

Crazy.kayaker
10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Hey everyone. I've been out hunting more then just a few times and I've seen moose, a cougar, black bear, rabbits, grouse and lots of lynx prints minutes old and over 250 does but not a single buck except hours after sundown and can't tag one. I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me something I can do so I can find a buck that I can shoot? I've found a few nice spots with lots of sign that I've spent the entire day sitting and watching but the bucks never show up. I've also been out stalking the forests and again only does and a few Cow Moose. Done a few hours of road hunting with a friend and same deal. I've been hunting in 6 different MU's of region 3 and starting to think I'm cursed. I work in a butcher shop and talk to the hunters there when they drop off their deer, moose or elk and they've told me a few places to check out but it's only does where I've looked. If you can think of something I could try please let me know I'm starting to get frustrated at my lack of luck. I live in Kamloops if that helps.

Thanks

C.K

Jetboater
10-17-2008, 12:43 PM
the only real recommendation I have is worrk a certain area... if your seeing does you will sooner or later start seeing bucks.. dont run around searching where you heard the last buck was killed.... because its dead already....work one area that you are seeing a little bit of game in and you will start to find more....

rifleman
10-17-2008, 12:52 PM
don't get frustrated hunting is not all about killing. enjoy your time out there. when the rut starts you will start to see bucks for sure. where theres does theres bucks. ...... good luck keep hunting!!!!!!!!!!

KodiakHntr
10-17-2008, 01:06 PM
Give it a week or two, and then start hunting the does...Where the does are, the bucks will be....

rishu_pepper
10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
don't get frustrated hunting is not all about killing. enjoy your time out there. when the rut starts you will start to see bucks for sure. where theres does theres bucks. ...... good luck keep hunting!!!!!!!!!!

What he said.

The rut will get those horny bucks running, so keep an eye out. If you've seen a cougar :shock: it means your luck's not drying out!

CT.45
10-17-2008, 01:31 PM
You may go the entire season without seeing a legal buck in legal shooting hours. That is hunting my friend. Keep it up and like the other fellas said. Work an area with does or fresh buck sign and be PATIENT. The hunting is harder work than the practice shooting, and the killing.

Shooter
10-17-2008, 01:57 PM
All I can say is what has already been said. Hunt where deer are.... If you are seeing does then the bucks are there too. They live in the same places. When you see doe's watch them for awhile and watch closely to what they are doing. A doe will give you many clues as to whether or not there is anything else with her. If she starts looking toward a particular direction.. Glass that way hard. A doe will stick around sometimes if she hears you coming that's when you see them I would bet the bucks are hearing/smelling you before you spot them. They won't usually stick around to see what the noise is that they heard. Try to be silent when walking (rain helps this) and also be aware of which way the wind is blowing. And glass glass glass. Usually the only way to spot them first is from a ways away and usually it takes glasses to see them / ID them. If you are road hunting drive SLOW... walk and look over banks that you cant see over from the road. Bucks aren't dumb... they most times walk where they arent visible from the road and if they hear a vehicle they may just try to wait till it goes by before making a break for cover. Bottom line is... If there are does where you hunt there are bucks too. In the next few weeks they will become less and less wary and will start to move more during the day giving you more opportunity on them.

roblikestohunt
10-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Talk to Jelvis....Hes the kamloops connection, full of advice and great places to go.....i personally like the batch area go up batch at the wendego lodge sign take a right go all the way up past the gravel pit past the creek where the flats are, take the rushton creek road, go past the 2 campfire pits and the lake there, take a left down the side road theres a cutblock back there ive seen 4-6 bucks in there the last 2 weeks ive been up there, hope that helps...good luck

finish
10-17-2008, 02:30 PM
Batchelor heights is always good, I stick to the left road that heads all the way over to Red lake. Go up 24 k hang the 1st right through a gate and cattle guard. Drive up the road for a bit (5k ish) and then get out and hike. Lots o deer, whitey's and moose, and Bears!

CheekyRick
10-17-2008, 02:33 PM
That's why the call it hunting, and not shooting.. ;-)

CT.45
10-17-2008, 02:45 PM
Find address for deer farm. Call operator/owner. Ask to purchase male deer, live, on the hoof. Load animal into vehicle of conveyance, drive to appropriate killing site. Offload animal, tie to large immovable object. Back away from target. Deliver killing shot to vitals. Take pics of 'trophy' and post to internet. Sit back and await the praise of a job well done.

But most likely you will have to spend more time hunting. If you are new to hunting, then your skill set may not be honed enough, or you just have not been lucky yet.

Have fun at the very least and play safe......

CT.45
10-17-2008, 02:48 PM
Batchelor heights is always good, I stick to the left road that heads all the way over to Red lake. Go up 24 k hang the 1st right through a gate and cattle guard. Drive up the road for a bit (5k ish) and then get out and hike. Lots o deer, whitey's and moose, and Bears!

Is that Dairy lake or Watching Creek?

Caveman
10-17-2008, 02:50 PM

If this is where I think it is, it is a spot I'd send you to as well. About 2km past Pass Lake, take the right turn, big elevation change, on the flat take any of the side trails. I find the right ones are best. Get out and sneak around those new cuts. Should find a buck in there.

Caveman
10-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Is that Dairy lake or Watching Creek?

If they would quit changing the names up there it would be fine, but Watching Creek would be the name I believe. The old Sawmill road is off of that any where through there.

KevinB
10-17-2008, 02:55 PM
Heck, I've been deer hunting since I was a kid, and I've only seen 2 cougars for about 0.000000000001 second each - you're doing pretty good there! Don't get discouraged, if you are seeing lots of does, you are doing something right. Keep at it, by the end of the any buck season around here, the smaller bucks sometimes start acting a bit dumber as the rut comes closer. So if you keep hunting areas that you're seeing does in, you should stand a good chance of seeing at least a small buck or two - and at this point don't get picky! There's deer pretty much everywhere around Kamloops, if you find good areas to sit, or nice fir stands where you can move really slow and quiet, get to know them and stay patient. All the better if there is less traffic in the area, lots of road hunters in an area tend to make the deer a little more skittish.

wolverine
10-17-2008, 03:11 PM
A week ago I got a nice 3X4 and my buddy got a real monster 4X4 out of the Kamloops area. You're right. The Bucks are not moving too much yet. Everything seems to be a little later this year but they are there and they are starting to hang around the does now too. Be patient. Watch the hell out of the does. Ususally they are out feeding and the big boys are hanging back just on the timber line. Glass the fringes really well and I found just before the end of shooting light, like 15 minutes left, was the best time. Some of the bigger fellows started coming out around then. Don't give up. It's just gonna start getting good now.

Wildfoot
10-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Im not working right now. If you want to venture out this way I would be happy to go hunt some spots with you. I'm in the same boat as you though, lots of sign.. no deers! But, I seem to have more luck when someone else is with me.

Over the last 2 years I have seen lots of nice mulies up bachelor heights area that the other members are talking about. Really nice area as well. I have heard glassing the burnt piles of slash is a good area to find bucks bedding down, I guess they like the dark ash soil since it retains a bit more heat.

T300WSM
10-17-2008, 03:42 PM
If you get a chance to go out this weekend, i seen small bucks with does this week. If you keep looking where you have seen does there should be some buks showing up now. Good luck and have fun.

M.Dean
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM
When you drive to or walk to or quad to a logged area or a open spot that looks like good deer country, use your bino's! Glass every nook and every cranny! Glass the brush, look for ears, look for legs, look for deer looking at you! Most deer, will have there ass facing you when you see them, look for that white spot in the brush or on the side hill. I've stopped lots to glass a spot and seen nothing, so i pour a coffee and grab a snack and a lot of times glass the same spots again and there are deer! They hide when they hear or see you,if your quiet and don't move around to much, they'll start to feed again. I see lots of guys every year with there bino's in there pack or in the quad box, they should be around your neck all the time your hunting, the first thing you grab when you see game is your glass's! You have to postive before you fire.Try not to get pissed at seeing no game, change your Game Plan and see if you can spot them first! Good Luck!

shotgunjohn
10-17-2008, 07:18 PM
Well its pretty obvious , though no one else is pointing out, you are cursed. Give up hunting and take up golf.

Or you could wait until the second week of November and go back where you saw all those does. VERY carefully glass around them or sit and watch them just before dark. Just maybe a buck will suddenly appear and if you have sighted in your rifle and if you can stop your hands from shaking you might have some pictures for us.

Good hunting!

finish
10-17-2008, 07:47 PM
If this is where I think it is, it is a spot I'd send you to as well. About 2km past Pass Lake, take the right turn, big elevation change, on the flat take any of the side trails. I find the right ones are best. Get out and sneak around those new cuts. Should find a buck in there.

This road is about 10-15km past pass. Just about at the top. Lotsa deer.

Crazy.kayaker
10-17-2008, 08:33 PM
The most spots you recommended are off the watching creek road I've been up and past there seen moose up at the 5900 ft area down to the 3000ft range and all roads that head off to the right off of watching creek road lead down to the Oconner lake and down to Wentworth and eventually Jamieson road and I've been all over that place and recently found a nice looking area that looks promising. I know some nice dead ended roads that see next to no traffic off of the lower parts of all the roads and a few at the higher elevation. Wild foot I'd like to take you up on that offer at a later date. Well since it seems your advice matches what I've been doing I'll just keep at what I'm doing and hope I can tag out on a nice mulie or white tail.

5 spike
10-17-2008, 08:58 PM
holy crap i think shooter said it all, watch the does very closley. you will get your buck.

Brambles
10-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Is it any consolation if I told you I can't find any Does???

Caveman
10-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I've got another on for you. Take the Batch road, turn off where everyone drops their bikes take the Long Lake road, the one on your left. Watch the bluffs to your right As you travel and get along Long lake, the tree line to your right always hold deer. Get up top and walk the ridges above Westsyde. Many people simply just drive by. On the west side of Long lake the draws leading to the tree line take you up around McQueen Lake area. If you are` aware of the boundaries you could jump a whitey in there as well as a muley