PDA

View Full Version : Fisrt 6x6 elk

RockyMountainHunter1
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Me and my buddy decided to go back to the area that we hunted last year in the kootenays seeing as we did well as far as deer hunting went.What a big mistake that was.We set our camp up in the same area with high expectations.The last season i was there i didn't really concentrate on hunting elk and it more less turned into a deer hunt.5 out of 6 of us ended up with whiteys last year.Ever since i was home from my trip i was dreaming of that big bull and decided to dedicate myself this year to getting one.The first morning after setting up camp i took my girlfriend out in hopes of getting her first deer and looking for good elk sign to see if they had been in the area.lots of sign but not really too fresh, and no bucks the first day spotted by my buddy either.The second morning me and my buddy hicked a 5 hours and ended up seeing a nice 5x5 that ran across the trail behind us.Now we were excited.Day 3 we switched it up and went high up on a mountain thinking there was too much pressure with the over 65 under 18 open season there were hunters everywhere.This day i ended up learning my lesson when i got out of my truck to take a piss and there he was running into the timber mister 6 point.We then went back on day four in persuit of the bull getting to the spot at 6 in the pitch black letting of a few bugles, no response.Then all of a sudden my buddy hears something.Draws his gun in hopes of a big bull, when out comes a pack of massive timberwolves at 15 feet sniffing a game trail.He let out a hollar and off the went and ruining our hunt for the morning.Day number 4 nothing.Day 5 not much either and we decided to switch up our spots and drove to bull river.We spent day 6 there aswell when i spot a legal bull from about a km and a half away and we decide to go after.By the time we got up the mountain he was gone.So we kept hunting and at the end of the day i glassed a heard of 20 elk about 2 km away.We decide to come back first thing in the morning.The following moring im 2 km away from the spot and i blow my tire 75 km in the bush and im thinkin about calling it a trip and just goin home.We change the tire and off we go anyway.We park at a sign that says not motor vehicles so its all hiking from here.The hike up is about 5 km, long walk up hill.finally we spot them at about 10 we take the long way arround to brake our sent and sound.We sneak up to about 400 yards and we think some cows busted so we sit.After about 30 mins we here a big bugle from not to far away.We start bugle back and forth for about 1 hr and 30mins and he doesnt show himself.Finally we decide to go in after him and when we're sneaking up my buddy steps on a stick "CRACK" he get out of his bed, shaking like a leaf i pull myself together and bam put him right back down in his bed.After quartering him all up we pack the hinds down to the road, in the 30 mins it took to get back up again there was a grizz chompin down on our fronts,back straps and phillys.we tried to scare him off but had no luck.on the way home got pulled over by the CO and he did not believe a word i said.It was pretty disheartening.Then he asked to see my liscense and tells me that he didn't like the way i cut my tag.I cut everything out properly but i cut them straight lines intead of cutting v's out.So he decides on giving me a tickets after trying to make me confess for something that i didn't do.I kinda felt like giving him a piece of my mind but in the same thought i didn't want him to take what i had.All in all the flat tire,the ticket and being skunked for 6 days was all worth it somehow because i had what i was dreaming and thinking of everyday since the last season!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/IMG_1205.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/IMG_1204.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/NICK/IMG_1200.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/NICK/IMG_1199.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/NICK/IMG_1193.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o288/cwdodd/NICK/IMG_1212.jpg

BlacktailStalker
10-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Congrats to you !
You'll never forget the first one, thats a great bull !
Just shake off the bad luck and the CO and keep at 'er.

hunter1947
10-17-2008, 04:01 AM
First of all welcome to the site.
Very nice 6x6 elk you got there RMH.

Your pic and your wright up are great.

Congratulations on getting your first bull elk.

Like BTS said you will never forget your first elk ,very well accomplished hunt http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

sawmill
10-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Good for you,shitty about the CO.I`m surprised he wrote a ticket but didn`t take the horns and meat?

sneg
10-17-2008, 07:42 AM
wow. what a trip ! congrats on your bull. Alll that bad luck just to make you to appreciate your acomplishment.good job.

rocksteady
10-17-2008, 07:44 AM
Congrats on your first bull....

First one is always the sweetest and tastes the best...

brotherjack
10-17-2008, 07:58 AM
about the CO.I`m surprised he wrote a ticket but didn`t take the horns and meat?

Probably he realized that if he made him mad enough take it to court, it'd get thrown out. But just a ticket, he'd probably pay it and go on. I bet I could even tell you the name of the C.O. in question, and if it's who I think it would be, I could also name you half a dozen or more guys I know (including me) who have had similarly nasty dealings with him. :(

But never mind all that - congratulations on an awesome bull elk, RockyMountainHunter1; you will remember this day forever!

phearless
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Way to go!
That is a beauty.
Maybe next year I will try for one.

Sorry to here about the CO.
Perhaps he is not getting any at home and needs to vent before DSB kills him.

Kody94
10-17-2008, 08:06 AM
Congrats RockyMountainHunter!! Nice bull!

Its always good to bring out some of the grizzly chewed meat as evidence. Enough guys fail to bring out "all edible portions" that the COs are sceptical of any story.

I am amazed at the number of 6pts that have hit the ground in the Koots this year....am looking forward to seeing the stats someday.

rocksteady
10-17-2008, 08:18 AM
From my hunting licence:

"CUT OUT and completely remove the applicable notches on the edge of the licence to denote:
1) Day of kill
2) Month of kill
3) Region of kill
4) Whether a deer, elk, or mosse, antlered or antlerless"

"Warning: Licence alteration and/or improper cancellation can lead to prosecution........"

Post a picture of your tag and see what the crowd here thinks, whether you have a case or not for appeal....

Kody94
10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Post a picture of your tag and see what the crowd here thinks, whether you have a case or not for appeal....

Not a bad idea Rocky! I am very curious to see how strictly they are enforcing that.

At worst it might save other guys from a similar fate.

Cheers
4ster

Blainer
10-17-2008, 08:31 AM
Great story,Great bull.

trigger
10-17-2008, 08:44 AM
congrats great bull.

lightmag
10-17-2008, 09:15 AM
Probably he realized that if he made him mad enough take it to court, it'd get thrown out. But just a ticket, he'd probably pay it and go on. I bet I could even tell you the name of the C.O. in question, and if it's who I think it would be, I could also name you half a dozen or more guys I know (including me) who have had similarly nasty dealings with him. :(

But never mind all that - congratulations on an awesome bull elk, RockyMountainHunter1; you will remember this day forever!

F deboon by chance??? fight that ticket!! what was the ticket for? hey on the Bull river where you hiked in from the "no vehicle access sign" was there and old horse correl there? and your camping right on a creek (can't remeber it's name) if yes i was there two years ago and we got our first 6x6 opening day, had alot of hassel from the CO and some local guides who were jealous we got one as nobody was getting anything and their clienst were mad, lol.. long story but the CO and guides almost ruined our trip, we won a ticket we got in court, the guides really pressure the CO's there to keep tabs on non guided hunters. My best bud is RCMP there and says alot of guides are jerks there. PM me if you want details or advive.

mtnmannbc
10-17-2008, 09:38 AM
Again, good on ya nick

mijinkal
10-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Congrats on the beauty bull. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. It always comes in threes. Blown tire, Grizz, Stupid CO

tooley
10-17-2008, 01:28 PM
I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilty? I'd b fighting that ticket!

CT.45
10-17-2008, 01:37 PM
No pics of the grizz? Nice bull and congrats.

Jetboater
10-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Nice bull... Six days of hunting for a decent bull is nothing out of the ordinary...seems weird with the COs as the guys up there are typically really great to deal with... what was his name?Should be on the ticket... Its sad you didnt cut your tag properly, would have saved you a few bucks... I am sure next time you will cut it out properly...it is your responsibilty

brotherjack
10-17-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilty? I'd b fighting that ticket!

"Innocent until proven guilty" is the theory, but in practice, you have to have the money and time and will to prove your innocence if you've been so much as just accused of something (as was kindly pointed out to me during my nasty experience with what I suspect was the same C.O. when I made to ask questions about what the heck did he think he was doing).

lightmag
10-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Nice bull... Six days of hunting for a decent bull is nothing out of the ordinary...seems weird with the COs as the guys up there are typically really great to deal with... what was his name?Should be on the ticket... Its sad you didnt cut your tag properly, would have saved you a few bucks... I am sure next time you will cut it out properly...it is your responsibilty

he did cut it!! just supposedly the wrong shape???????? seems pretty trivial, what's the legal wording on properly cutting a tag, anyone?

hunter1947
10-17-2008, 03:32 PM
I know lightmag did the right thing just to keep his mouth shut.

It would coast way more money to travel back up there and try to fight this ticket.
Just bite the bullet and put it in the old noggin for what you should do next time when canceling your tag..http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Islandeer
10-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Beauty bull!!!

We had a go with a CO in that spot a couple years back, we nicknamed him "the Ferret" cause he was kind of a slightly built guy with a big mustache always snooping around our camp looking for any thing remotely illegal. We invited him for beers evan!! Go figure!!

Anyways, this your moment, enjoy.:lol:

rocksteady
10-17-2008, 03:55 PM
he did cut it!! just supposedly the wrong shape???????? seems pretty trivial, what's the legal wording on properly cutting a tag, anyone?

Look back at my post from page 2...or check the back of your licence, the directions are pretty straight forward..Post a picture of it and lets see what the concensus is...

budismyhorse
10-17-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey man very nice elk! Too bad the grizz liked it just as much eh!

So you got a ticket because you sliced your tag wrong? the way I read your post, it sounds like you cut them straight (not V'd) but didn't pull the little piece of paper out......is that right?

RockyMountainHunter1
10-17-2008, 07:18 PM
ya thats rigt i cut straight lines instead of pulling out the v's and he really didn't want to let it go like Hunter1947 said it would cost me alot more to get to greenwood from victoria than it would to pay the 115$.I think i'll just pay it right away

brotherjack
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
Oh.. in that case, yeah, you were in violation of the law (though he could have let you off with a warning - which is what happened to me when I discovered that it was illegal to just cut them like that).

Oops!

rocksteady
10-17-2008, 07:23 PM
However , if you feel you are right, it may be worth contesting it...After all, if you pay the fine, it is classed as "deemed guilty" and then you will have a conviction of the Wildlife Act on your record...

Jetboater
10-17-2008, 07:41 PM
attitude plays a huge roll when the officer find you guilty of an offence.that could just be warning.. to many people play the victim roll and dont take responsibilty for their own actions.....

budismyhorse
10-17-2008, 07:56 PM
ya thats rigt i cut straight lines instead of pulling out the v's and he really didn't want to let it go like Hunter1947 said it would cost me alot more to get to greenwood from victoria than it would to pay the 115$.I think i'll just pay it right away

Ahhh, ya, I figured. that would be classified as a "pre cut" tag in the CO's book. not fully cancelled. Technically, you could have got that elk home, killed an elk the next and knotched the next day. Until a knotch is pulled, it is not cancelled.

leason learned. Hey, I cut the region out of my "date" section when I tagged my stone sheep this year. I cancelled it right away...and let me tell you, I was still shaking like an idiot. I wasn't thinking straight and made a mistake. I cancelled it correctly after that, called it in when I got home and things are good. leason learned.

Vansmasher
10-17-2008, 07:57 PM
nice bull !!!
It definitely sounds like you cut your tag improperly..... live and learn I guess. I'd guess he was wanting to fine you for anyhing he could since you didn't have all the meat and he didn't believe your story. Its really too bad guides and CO's try to do anything they can to give the regular self guided Joe's a hard time, all the more reason for us to do everything ligit.... pics of the griz would have really helped your case too.
Study up on deboning big game and you'll be able to pack more meat out on trip #1 ...... leaving less for the grizzlies. There is definitely no need to be packing out the legs.
Once again, live and learn and great bull in beautiful country.
Cheers.

budismyhorse
10-17-2008, 08:21 PM
Good point Vansmasher.....you take a risk when you chose to do 2 trips instead of 1 deboned trip.

in grizz country, I debone, no sense taking chances.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/A_Grunt.jpg

besides the antlers, there is no bone in this pack

Stone Sheep Steve
10-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Congrats on your first elk!! Great pics!

I guess the CO would rather have to deal with a grizzly carcass???:shock:

"Well, Sir...I could prove that a grizz ate my elk but then you would want to charge me for shooting a grizz??" Not everybody packs a video camera or wants to get closer to the bear just so they can take a picture for proof.

I haven't seen your tag so I can't really comment on that .....but I know one CO that also improperly cancelled his tag a couple of year ago. Cut the wrong date:shock:!!! His partner got a call from the taxidermist reporting the infraction:smile:.

We all make mistakes......... once in a while.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2008, 08:56 PM
However , if you feel you are right, it may be worth contesting it...After all, if you pay the fine, it is classed as "deemed guilty" and then you will have a conviction of the Wildlife Act on your record...

BUT, contesting and losing in court will result in your name being posted on the Quarterly Compliance Report, right here on the internet for all to see. If you just pay the fine (as you should, you did cancel your tag incorrectly), your name won't be published. Your choice, but you won't win it in court.

Tikka7mm
10-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Looking forward to some nice Elk Steaks buddy...:-D Congrats on your first 6x6...I'm already looking forward to next year!

ELKOHOLICBC
10-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Congrats on your first 6x6 RMH1. Nothing beats that first Bull. I love the pics. I 've hunted that same spot for 9 years now can't mistake where that is. Your secret spot is safe with me LOL. There are alot of grizz in that area. We were back there this year and some guys in our camp had some encounters also. Every year theres some. Awesome story and weird to see the same pics I've taken. Congrats. Those packs out like that make them taste even better.

moosehunter16
10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
good job.. nice size bull

smoothbor
11-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Great Bull For The First Alot Of Guys Go A Long Time To Get One Like That, Looks Like The North White River, Am I Close?

untilthelastbeat
02-26-2011, 11:15 AM
nice work bud thats an awesome lookin bull and at the end of it all u got a good story to tell. its good to laugh about the tough times later even tho its the sh*ts while your hunting haha, congrats

bigben
02-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Congratulation beautiful animal

HOYTHUNTER
02-26-2011, 04:45 PM
congrats on the Nice elk
If u dont mind me asken, what type of pack is that?

Marc
02-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Nothing like resurrecting a 2 year old thread:mrgreen: It's going to be an awful long wait till next fall I'm afraid.

swampthing
02-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Its always a good idea to have your partner double check your tag. Many a mistake gets made in the heat of the moment. I had buddies in the east koots saying the CO in there camp was asking if there latrine was of the proper depth.

fearnodeer
02-27-2011, 09:38 AM
Too sweet, a job well done.