PDA

View Full Version : Hunting from golf carts?

MichelD
10-16-2008, 06:21 PM
I was having a bit of a discussion on a hiking web site the other day with some hikers who were concerned when they saw hunters in the Cheam range and wondered if it was legal to hunt there.

Anyway, another one chimed in and claimed he saw guys get out of a truck, load guns and get back in. If that is true, that is illegal, we would agree with that, but then another posted this:

"Transporting a loaded firearms is not only stupid but violates Federal firearms laws. A lot of hunters circumvent this by getting a "golf-cart" style vehicle, as they're not classed as a motor vehicle (no license or insurance needed).

When I said I'd never heard of such a thing, he countered:

"On Sunday I was on Bench road and I most definitely saw a golf cart. White, white vinyl seats, seats four, small cargo area in back and a simple, white roof held up by tubular framing.

"It was actually pretty funny seeing these two guys that had Grizzly Adams beards and were wearing tree camo driving around the woods in this cart that had deer antlers mounted on the front."

DeerWhisperer
10-16-2008, 07:19 PM
haha that is awesome. Where can I get one???

Kye
10-16-2008, 07:34 PM
Its still a vehicle, no loaded gun. If a bike counts as a vehicle, a golf cart is.

ElkMasterC
10-16-2008, 07:50 PM
It's a motorized vehicle.

I heard of a guy getting a ticket on a mountain bike with a loaded gun.

I do believe I would have fought that one, but a cart's got a motor. Period.

pointandshoot
10-16-2008, 07:57 PM
It's a motorized vehicle.

I heard of a guy getting a ticket on a mountain bike with a loaded gun.

I do believe I would have fought that one, but a cart's got a motor. Period.

might be a tough one to fight, says right in the regs that its a no-no...doesn't mean i agree or disagree but it is the rules.

Sitkaspruce
10-16-2008, 08:07 PM
I was having a bit of a discussion on a hiking web site the other day with some hikers who were concerned when they saw hunters in the Cheam range and wondered if it was legal to hunt there.

"On Sunday I was on Bench road and I most definitely saw a golf cart. White, white vinyl seats, seats four, small cargo area in back and a simple, white roof held up by tubular framing.

"It was actually pretty funny seeing these two guys that had Grizzly Adams beards and were wearing tree camo driving around the woods in this cart that had deer antlers mounted on the front."

I am not a pro golfer by any means, but I have been seen in a few golf carts:-P and I have never seen a 4 seater golf cart. Sounds Like a modified Rino or something along those lines.

A golf cart would suck for suspension, room and noise. Hell I have even got them stuck on wet grass.

Cheers

SS

jml11
10-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Right from the regs...

it is unlawful...
to discharge, carry or have in possession
a firearm containing live ammunition in
its breech or in its magazine attached to
the firearm, in or on a railway car, motor
vehicle, sleigh, aircraft, bicycle or other
conveyance.

I believe the golf cart would fall under other conveyance...?

ElkMasterC
10-16-2008, 08:54 PM
A railway car?

Man...I guess the Buffalo would still be roaming in massive herds had that been in effect in the 1800's.....pity.
When did they add bicycle to that list? Anyone know specifically?
What if I'm on my roller blades, and I see a legal deer?
Snowshoes? Snowshoes are a means of conveyance.
Wow, if a CO wanted to bust your b@lls, that's a pretty wide net to cast.

mrdoog
10-16-2008, 09:11 PM
What about horses?

jml11
10-16-2008, 09:20 PM
A railway car?

Man...I guess the Buffalo would still be roaming in massive herds had that been in effect in the 1800's.....pity.
When did they add bicycle to that list? Anyone know specifically?
What if I'm on my roller blades, and I see a legal deer?
Snowshoes? Snowshoes are a means of conveyance.
Wow, if a CO wanted to bust your b@lls, that's a pretty wide net to cast.

yes I am sure there is some interpretation to this, by definition this means you can't shoot from boats or canoes either (a form of conveyance??) but as far as I know it is actually legal to shoot from boats that are not under power....

rishu_pepper
10-17-2008, 08:36 AM
I am not a pro golfer by any means, but I have been seen in a few golf carts:-P and I have never seen a 4 seater golf cart. Sounds Like a modified Rino or something along those lines.

A golf cart would suck for suspension, room and noise. Hell I have even got them stuck on wet grass.

Cheers

SS

There are indeed 4-seater golf carts, a search on Google Images will yield results. Interestingly, on an island in Hong Kong no cars are allowed, but residents may purchase and operate a golf cart (of which the 4-seater variety comes up). Weird huh?

Wildfoot
10-17-2008, 10:15 AM
So I should leave the 12ga at home when playing a quick 18? But.. But... SO MANY GEESE!

ElkMasterC
10-17-2008, 12:46 PM
yes I am sure there is some interpretation to this, by definition this means you can't shoot from boats or canoes either (a form of conveyance??) but as far as I know it is actually legal to shoot from boats that are not under power....

It was when I was duck hunting. Like from a row boat or belly boat. Also technically, if you shut down your motor in a motorized boat, and pull it out of the water, then it's a legal shooting platform, no? At least that's the way we used to see it in the Before Time Long Ago...lol

But it's certainly a means of conveyance, much more than snowshoes or bicycles, and bicycles are specifically mentioned as prohibited.

** Note*I realize that snowshoes are my idea of testing the limits........I sincerely doubt any CO would bust you for that. I merely use it as an example of the definition of "means of conveyance" **