PDA

View Full Version : Garmin gpsmap60 csx owners. Upgrade your software

zedex
10-16-2008, 05:01 PM
So i recently went elk hunting again. Took my trusty gps like i always do. After a short walk decided to track back to the quad. Started walking my track back (map page)but noticed that my bearing pointer was facing 90 degrees to my track. Im thinking WTF is going on. I tried walking the way my pointer was facing and im looking at the land thinking "THIS IS NOT RIGHT". The gps was telling me to go a completely different way.If there had been i cliff there it would have guided me off the cliff. I go to my compass page and the compass is frozen. I recalibrate the compass 2 times and did not help. I tried to remember how to do a hard reset but that would have completely erased my track not that it helped anyways. So i find my way back to the quad. Get home and email Garmin for a RMA # so i can send this thing back. The Garmin rep tells to that software 3.50 is out of date and i need to download software 3.70. After d/ling 3.70 and a hard reset my gps is now again operational.
So. To avoid having this happen to you, you should grab 3.70 from Garmin and upgrade your software.

I questioned Garmin on why this happened and the guy basically said there are issues with 3.50 and 3.60 but 3.70 will fix the issues.

Jagermeister
10-16-2008, 05:31 PM
Don't know where you were, but I can tell you that there is a magnetic anomaly that occurs in the mountains to the northeast of the city. A passenger plane crashed up near Chute Lake in the late 40's and it was thought that the plane was off course as a result of this magnetic interference.

zedex
10-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Hi Jagermeister. I Was not hunting elk anywhere near Penticton. This problem is not only associated with my gps. It has happened to many with software from 3.40 to 3.60.

NaStY
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Huh just checked mine and yup i need the update too. I am usaly pretty good with keeping all my electronics up to date.

Thanks for the heads up......

Oh and i have the new rino 530's HCX

BlacktailStalker
10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the heads up, will do.

Jagermeister
10-16-2008, 07:35 PM
OK, figured it out. You're frozen compass is the one in the GPS. I did not have the GPS in mind when I posted, I was thinking that the compass was a detached item, like a regular compass. Sorry.

hotload
10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Zedex, your my man, got that GPS and almost fell off the same cliff. And yes, WTF, came to mind alright. Thanks for telling everybody.

goatdancer
10-17-2008, 02:07 PM
What happened to Garmin? When I registered my Etrex, I was able to click on a tab that would automatically send me an email when there were any software upgrades. Haven't had a thing yet. I wonder if any other models are affected.

willyqbc
10-17-2008, 02:39 PM
could you please post a link to the needed download....I can't seem to find it.

Thanks
Chris

KevinB
10-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Garmin makes great GPS hardware...their software, on the other hand, often sucks. Maybe they should farm that part out.

zedex
10-17-2008, 05:02 PM
Heres a link. Plug your gps into your computer and d/l webupdater. This program will find the software for you and install it into your gps.Install the program that is intended for your computer. Just follow the directions.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-27

Rob
10-17-2008, 08:25 PM
I just bought a garmin Etrex legend the other day and it came with Mapsource software, is this the same as gpsmap60? I havent downloaded it yet, is there better map software? Thanks Rob

zedex
10-17-2008, 08:41 PM
The software im refering to is gps software as in the operating system software. The mapsource software is mapping software with maps. You may have "metroguide" mapping software which is city streets . Or "Topo Canada" which is topographical maps for hunting etc. "topo Canada" is about the best there is for a garmin like yours.
The etrex i believe is fine for its operating system .:-)

NaStY
10-17-2008, 08:46 PM
The software im refering to is gps software as in the operating system software. The mapsource software is mapping software with maps. You may have "metroguide" mapping software which is city streets . Or "Topo Canada" which is topographical maps for hunting etc. "topo Canada" is about the best there is for a garmin like yours.
The etrex i believe is fine for its operating system .:-)

Its more commonly called a firmware update....:biggrin:

Mr. Dean
11-19-2008, 10:19 AM
So i recently went elk hunting again. Took my trusty gps like i always do. After a short walk decided to track back to the quad. Started walking my track back (map page)but noticed that my bearing pointer was facing 90 degrees to my track. Im thinking WTF is going on. I tried walking the way my pointer was facing and im looking at the land thinking "THIS IS NOT RIGHT". The gps was telling me to go a completely different way.If there had been i cliff there it would have guided me off the cliff. I go to my compass page and the compass is frozen. I recalibrate the compass 2 times and did not help. I tried to remember how to do a hard reset but that would have completely erased my track not that it helped anyways. So i find my way back to the quad. Get home and email Garmin for a RMA # so i can send this thing back. The Garmin rep tells to that software 3.50 is out of date and i need to download software 3.70. After d/ling 3.70 and a hard reset my gps is now again operational.
So. To avoid having this happen to you, you should grab 3.70 from Garmin and upgrade your software.

I questioned Garmin on why this happened and the guy basically said there are issues with 3.50 and 3.60 but 3.70 will fix the issues.

Thanks for posting this!

I use a 60CS and had it screw up on me, on my last hunt. It basically started reading south as being north. Hunting in an area that I wasn't familiar with, I had a 'feeling' that the machine wasn't firing on all cylinders. Good thing I took the time and got some bearings before stomping off into the bush.

For the entire hike back to my Jeep, it kept reading that I was moving in the opposite direction from it! With the sun fading FAST, I was glad that I had other intel and wasn't relying on it to bring me home - If I did, I'd be standing on the shores of Newfoundland, wondering WTF??!!

At this time, I powered on and off several times and it just kept coming back *stupid*. I checked for sat-lites and had at least 8 pinging... Back @ The Lodge, I made a couple changes in the settings (can't remember all what, right now) and it came back to life and remains so.

I've had Garmin units for YEARS and have never seen anything like this before. I'll be contacting them, that's fer sure.... And I won't be happy. :mad:

Mr. Dean
11-19-2008, 10:38 AM
OK..... I just cruised the above posted link. Apparently I already have the "Latest and Greatest"! :shock:

1-800-putmeonhold,,,, here I come! :cry:

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 01:03 PM
I called them yesterday and left voice mail. Still waiting for the call.
My replacement unit is doing just as the old one did, I really like the 60Csx, I hope they get it sorted soon!!

zedex
11-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Steeleco. I had to send my csx in for repair as the new firmware worked initially in my house. But once hunting again it reverted back to its screwed up state. Compass inoperational. Pointer backwards etc. Apparently my gps needed to be recalibrated. No idea what was involved but i have it back and it seems to be working properly. But still i have lost every bit of faith in my gps. I dont trust it whatsoever. This has happened to many csx owners . Im still pissed.:mad:

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
Mine won't turn off. I have to remove the batteries in order to stop the prox alarm sounding till the batteries are dead. Otherwise it's working great. But at $15 a time to get it fixed the warranty may soon add up!!

zedex
11-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Have you tried a hard reset?

Steeleco
11-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Did that over the phone with Garmin on the other end. And many times since then trying to trouble shoot this thing. Even the techs couldn't get it to work and sent me a new one. Different serial number same problem!!

I haven't given up yet though, it's still better than my old Magellan!!

zedex
11-19-2008, 10:21 PM
Strange......

Creeker
11-19-2008, 10:25 PM
First off thanks for this thread.

I love my 60csx and have used it for years now, And i havent upgraded the software yet.

But i to had the pointer turn 180 on me a few times if i heald the gps upside down the pointer was correct. And i to was starting to lose faith in the unit. I will check software in the unit tommorrow.

Thanks again.

I know most but not all of you guys are from southern BC but i noticed a add on another hunting site for Bush map for Garmin GPS'.

Here is a link for the map site which is suppose to show cut lines and rig roads and BC hunting Managment Unit borders all on a topo map. I have an email into the owner for more info.

http://www.skybase.ca/bushmap.htm

Let me know what you think.
J...

gone hunting
12-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Just got back from cabela's (Lacey) with my new 60csx. I assume it has the latest updates but how do I know?

Steeleco
12-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Once you've installed the software on your computer, plug in your unit and run the "webupdater" it will tell you if it's the latest or not.

huntcoop
12-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Does this little "problem" also apply to the GPSMAP 60Cx?

zedex
12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
If you dont know your software. Fire up the unit. Using your menu key find the main menu. highlight "setup" click enter
Highlight "system" click enter.
On that page you will see. gps,Waas,battery type etc. Dont highlight anything just click menu. You will see "software version" highlight it and click enter.
To get back just click "quit" repeatedly.

I have never heard of the CX screwing up like the CSX but who knows. Its the identical gps minus the sensors.

huntcoop
12-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanx for the info Zed. I have one on back order from Cambodian Tire, I'll check when it comes in, $249, couldn't pass it up.

zedex
12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
That is a damn good price. Usually CT wants higher than top dollar for a good product.