PDA

View Full Version : Mule Deer Rut

huntwriter
10-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Okay, as a whitetail deer hunter I admit that I still have to learn a lot about mule deer. My question to the mule deer experts here is. When, give a week or so, does the mule deer pre-rut generally start in the Okanagan region?

I know that the whitetail pre-rut pretty much can be pegged down to the first good frost, combined with the shortening of daylight hours. In other words, whitetail bucks already started to get antsy. Is it the same with mule deer?

wolverine
10-16-2008, 01:20 PM
Everything seems to be a little later this year but past experience tells me around the first to second week in Nov. they are in full swing. They are already starting to tend the does more and having jousting matches that appear to be more play than serious.

huntwriter
10-16-2008, 01:38 PM
They are already starting to tend the does more and having jousting matches that appear to be more play than serious. That would be what in whitetail deer hunting is called the pre-rut. Playful fighting, rubbing and starting to eye up the does. I have seen some fresh rubs in my area and was wondering. Thanks a lot Wolverine. I knew some fine members on this forum would come through.

KevinB
10-16-2008, 02:29 PM
I've seen muley bucks rubbing pretty enthusiastically as soon as their velvet comes off, and I've even seen muleys attempting to spar with their velvet still on - they didn't get very far there! As far as eying up the does, you can see that happen pretty early too. Things are usually peaking, at least around here, around Rememberance Day or a few days after.

doubled
10-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Generally first/second week in November. Shot one last week that had an enlarged neck already but no smell to him.

ElkMasterC
10-16-2008, 05:54 PM
They close the 4-point GOS on Nov 11th for a good reason, HW, put it that way....lol
;-)

The pre-rut gets you going, and the door closes.

oldtimer
10-16-2008, 05:59 PM
EXACTLY !! ElkMasterC. At least that is how it is around Quesnel. Use Rememberance Day as a good guage. Mike

Blainer
10-16-2008, 06:02 PM
Early November to mid November has been my experiance,as I also feel the whitetail rut a bit later than mule deer,from my experiance hunting up north.

BCHunterFSJ
10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Here in the Peace Region, the mule deer rut starts in earnest after the Remembrance Day weekend. Definitely LATER than the whitetail rut (in my opinion anyway, Blainer).

cinnabear
10-16-2008, 09:33 PM
A buddy off mine who is an avid hunter, saw the biggest muley [6x7] he's ever seen right in town [kelowna] by the apple bowl three days ago. The buck was following a doe across the road and he had his nose burried up her butt totally ablivious to oncoming traffic. Urban deer could rut at different times than bush deer, just a thought.

hotload
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Kelowna area, young bucks starting to run with the does starting earlier this week. Only going to pick up now. Good time to get up there and get a meat buck, only a few days left of all bone. Then you will have to look for 4 or better.

winbuckhunter
10-16-2008, 09:53 PM
A buddy off mine who is an avid hunter, saw the biggest muley [6x7] he's ever seen right in town [kelowna] by the apple bowl three days ago. The buck was following a doe across the road and he had his nose burried up her butt totally ablivious to oncoming traffic. Urban deer could rut at different times than bush deer, just a thought.

that buck has been lurking around there for a few years now.. hes a beauty... a buddy has some pictures from a couple years back of him and his boys in velvet i'll have to dig them out and scan them!! i usually see him by the power station on glenmore rd, right by the cemetary.. damn city bucks!!!!

winbuckhunter
10-16-2008, 09:56 PM
accually.. UNCLE DON ( swampdog ) you have that picture of him.. i saw it like last year in you truck!! you still got that??

huntwriter
10-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Thank you all for the valued information. It looks to me like it’s basically the same as with whitetails, with slight regional and weather condition variations.

Thanks again you all have been most helpful, that is exactly what I like so much about this website. Exchange of knowledge for the benefit of all.

Orangethunder
10-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Remembrance day +/- 5 days.

Weather is usually a factor from what I have seen, storms around that time seem to set things off.

Its a good idea to take the week leading up to and immediately following remembrance day off to be safe. If your really worried about missing it just take November off and you should be in great shape to witness it first hand.

If I could swing it thats what I would do. Since I cant however refer back to the first line of this reply.

Good luck!

dave_fras
10-17-2008, 05:49 AM
ya i know the deer too... i live up on clifton.. and ive seen him about 5 times... my dad also seen that buck by bankhead school 2 nights ago... but he had 2 does with him.... my dad was saying he shrunk a little.... but built up some mass haha

Fisher-Dude
10-17-2008, 06:05 AM
The rut is booming around Nov 12 - 15. The dink bucks are already hanging around the does (the one I shot on Oct 3 had a dozen girls with him). The bigger bucks will put the run on these little guys the first week of Nov.

hunter1947
10-17-2008, 06:41 AM
The rut is booming around Nov 12 - 15. The dink bucks are already hanging around the does (the one I shot on Oct 3 had a dozen girls with him). The bigger bucks will put the run on these little guys the first week of Nov.
You have that right FD ,I couldn't agree with you more on this statement ,well said http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

ianwuzhere
10-17-2008, 07:13 AM
last weekend i watched three 2 point bucks taking turns sparing with each other and they would spar with just about ever little willow tree they came close to...

muledeercrazy
10-16-2010, 08:49 PM

I agree. the does start to get receptive in early november and the big guys get serious.

born2hunt
10-16-2010, 09:26 PM
They close the 4-point GOS on Nov 11th for a good reason, HW, put it that way....lol
;-)

The pre-rut gets you going, and the door closes.
agreed:) ..............!

knockturnal
10-17-2010, 08:19 PM
ive also got pictures of that big muley hanging out by the apple bowl. i came home from hunting one night and he was in my front yard. I actually almost shot him with a bow when he was behind my house in the baseball diamond and then i thought again and figured it wouldnt be to smart of an idea at the time. As for the rut, Ive taken many large deer on halloween that were fully blown horn dogs.

swampthing
10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
I have seen bucks into it by thanksgiving weekend. I watched the biggest 3 point I have ever seen go doe to doe smelling them and lip curling them peeing. The does wernt ready but the buck was. Sparring is mainly pre-rut activity. By the time the rut rolls around the pecking order has been established

dave_fras
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
i just watched a nice buck on westside road... nose right up a does ass!... didnt have a care in the world!

boxhitch
10-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I agree. the does start to get receptive in early november and the big guys get serious.Main reason the season was shortened from Nov 15. Bucks here are rut-stunned, though not in reg3