PDA

View Full Version : first hunt

dutchie
10-15-2008, 11:17 PM
I am heading out on my first hunt tomorrow. A really good friend of mine is taking me for a quick 2 day excursion deep into the bush somewere in the Kootneys.

I really want a nice black bear, and he wants a buck so we are heading out but we are all tagged up for anything!

Will try to take some pictures of the hiking hunt!

dutchie

Shooter
10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Awesome glad to see you are pumped for it. It will be an experience you will never forget no matter what the results are. Looking forward to the pics

Mr. Dean
10-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Enjoy it and I look forward to the pic's.

hunter1947
10-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Good luck on your hunt.

steelheadSABO
10-16-2008, 07:41 AM
wheres the pics?

BiG Boar
10-16-2008, 07:43 AM
You will get something I predict, its called beginers luck. Dave

dutchie
10-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Thursday at 3pm and we wanted to go and scout out were we going to be hunting for at first light.

So we packed up a little food, our lights (just in case we had to come back in the dark) and off we head. There was sign from everything, moose, deer, bear, cyoete, and it was all fairly fresh. So I start glassing, and glassing, a little hike, and glass for about 1.5 hours I was doing this. Al was already on another ridge and I hear a crack from a gun shot. So I follow the sound and I find him about 45 mins later, he missed. DARN IT....But he found a cabin! right by the cabin a bear print the size of my hand, seemed to be a good size bear.

So we decided to bunk in the cabin because we didn't want to have to hike down and then hike back up. The cabin had a stove and a place to sleep with dry wood so it was perfect.

first full day of hunting. We woke up set the alarm on the GPS for 6am... and when we looked out the window it was really snotty out so we decided to wake up, and sat in the warmth untill about 7am. Now we are warm to go and tackle the Rain and wind.

So now the real hunting begins! Al and myself we about 300 meters apart the whole time so we could cover more range. I was galssing a very nice Valley draw and i see a bush kind of russeling the wrong way of the wind... i gave it a double take and what do ya know, BUCK!! quick count 1,2,3,4 plus 1 brow tine, 5x4 white tail... I didn't even have time to put my gun on to my shoulder and the Buck was just flying across the draw... no chance for a shot.

90 mins later i was still looking for the 5X4 for and a 4 pt Mulie bounds from the top of the draw, I am in, right into the bedding and right behind him was another 4 pt mulie ripping up the other way into the bush where I saw the white tail leave.

WHAT TO DO! I was torn in 3 different directions and I wanted them all! Belive me this is quite the predicument to be in. trophy 5X4 that seems to be way smarter then me, or 2 beautiful 4pts and possibly a little easier to kill... no suck luck

So it is about 11 am now and I see my hunting partner on the ridge of the adjacent draw. And a yearling 2 pt shows his little head laughs at me and runs back into the thick bush. Cheeky bugger.

we decided to head back down for some food and mabey a little rest. I was hiking the game trails back and I was coming through a marshy area. There was this HUGE brown thing infront of me slowy sauntering along... followed it and it was the biggest cow moose i have ever seen(al tho it is the first moose I have seen, it was impressive).

We decided to take a drive over to stem winder as a little break, get some coffee in princton and try to tag a deer over there... with in 12 km of the stemwinder road hunt we had no intrest... we wanted the Big 5X4.

We got back to the first spot and suited up for the night hike in to the cabin. the cabin was about 3.5km in and it was now pouring. So 7 pm we started up with GPS in hand and navigating back up. It took us about 2 hours to get all the way in. Nothing this morning but 100% worth it. I had a blast, even with no harvest it was unbelivable quite possibly better then any trip i have ever been on.

On the last 10 meters of shootable area before we hit the coq. I got my first grouse. :biggrin:

I have pics i just need to get them all loaded up.

Pics to follow

kayjayess
10-18-2008, 07:07 PM
Right on! A day out in the wilderness even with out harvesting a thing is still better than a day inside. Sounds like a great trip. Awesome to see some game too! Thanks for sharing and look forward to pics

DDD
10-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a pretty great hunt for your first. Nice to bump into some in the field who's on this site.Too bad things didn't pan out on the white tail or the four point. The best part of the season is still ahead of us so keep at it.
Good luck.

D

MichelD
10-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Sounds like an awesome first trip.

I have never found a cabin I didn't expect to find, never mind one that wasn't knee deep in rat shit.

And you saw some big deer too. More than I have this year.

But that wasn't the Kootenays was it?

Mr. Dean
10-20-2008, 01:51 PM
Thats what its all about!

dutchie
10-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Sounds like an awesome first trip.

I have never found a cabin I didn't expect to find, never mind one that wasn't knee deep in rat shit.

And you saw some big deer too. More than I have this year.

But that wasn't the Kootenays was it?

No it wasn't in the Kootneys, but none the less it was awsome. On saturday, we started to see a little more pressure and i met DDD there.

DDD, I heard you ring a few shots off, did you take one? Al and myself were were really curious?!

Ali is helping with the photos, they will be up soon hopfully!

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 08:47 AM
here come the photos :)

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/1-1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/2-1.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/3.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/4.jpg

newhunterette
10-21-2008, 08:48 AM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/5.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/HBC%20pics%20for%20members/6.jpg