PDA

View Full Version : how do you hunt

steelheadSABO
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM
just wondering how you guys hunt do you drive around and road hunt ,hike or sit?what are your methods so far i tried driving hiking and got nothing saw a two point but he saw me before i saw him.so what are your methods of a succefull hunt.im also thinking of buying a canoe to cruise the lakes and creeks

Caveman
10-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Depends on the quarry. I like to spot and stalk for deer. Road hunt if I'm forced to take the kids out, but tire of it quickly. Hike for both moose and deer. Walk a few hundred yards, sit and listen and watch, walk some more just meandering through the bush paying attention to sign.

twoSevenO
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
what region do you hunt?
Either way you're still ahead of me. I haven't seen any bucks. (Been out only twice though)
I was going through the same dilemma as you, but upon receiving some advice from the members here i will choose to stick with one type and see if persistence will pay off. That type is picking a nice cut-block, hiking in to the edge and glassing my ass off while sittin still :D lol. (then repeating as necessary)

brotherjack
10-15-2008, 04:20 PM
I agree, depends on what I'm hunting.

Mule deer - on foot, long hikes in the high country.

Whitetails - see way more deer sitting very very quiet and still than I do hiking around.

Grouse - road hunt.

Elk - nothing works. ;)

BearSniper
10-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Elk - nothing works. :wink:

Brother Jack I had to laugh at your above comment regarding your Elk season thus far. :lol: I feel that way alot sometimes after a day in the bush with zero.

Discouragement creeps in, you feel like a loser, and you begin to doubt your existence as a hunter.

Then boom!, last day of the season comes and you get something.

Hang in there, miracles do happen. You'll get your Elk someday and it'll be a monster ! Somehow, you gotta have faith.:wink:

CT.45
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Spend more time in the bush. You may go many seasons and only see a few animals let alone shoot one.
Scouting an area pre-season really helps. Going into an area cold is a tough row to hoe for sure. I'm doing some of that this season as well. I think the deer are nocturnal right now somewhat.
You will scare more deer away then you will ever see probably. They have such good senses to catch us with. Move very slowly and quietly in areas that you know contain animals. I like to stop, look and listen every 20 yards or so when still hunting.
Sitting and glassing works if you know animals are moving into an area near a certain time, to feed or bed down. Pre-scouting is best.
Road hunting is for some. For me, it is when I have the kids with me, or I am in a new area looking for a place to go for a walk with my rifle.
Good luck and remember that hunting is not a slam dunk by any stretch oc the imagination. Takes patience, skill and luck.

rocksteady
10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
For me:

I don't road hunt...Will jump out and shoot a critter of opportunity (of course)...

I can't treestand hunt - Boredom gets the best of me....

Groundblinds - I only do this during bow season.....Similar to a treestand...Get tired of looking at the same 50 yards of ground in a circle around me..

Spot and stalk - Keeps you alert and moving, so you don't get cold....

MY PERSONAL preference - Scouting and trying to pattern the critters..Then I go in when its stillpitch black and wait for first light....Tend to call this "ambush" hunting....

But as others have said, it depends on your quarry....I don't know of many sheep hunters who use treestands or road hunt...:biggrin::biggrin:

steelheadSABO
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
twoseveno what region do you hunt?
region 5 ya when i saw the two point i was walking in the bush trying to find a more open spot when him and a doe jumped out of a bush 30 feet infront of me but the bush was to thick to get a shot off.the one thing ive learned stay off the main roads and follow a skitter trail or deer trail theres two many people with atvs these days

hunter1947
10-16-2008, 05:15 AM
The area I hunt for elk I know about 30 places that do carry elk .

So I pick one place and pound that hole are looking for sign ,tracks ,rubs ,scats and elk.

If I don't find any sign or elk I move onto the next place ,I keep doing this till I find elk ,then I work them to see if there is a shooter in the herd.

Dually
10-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Reguarding your Idea of getting a canoe, if you are going to be hunting moose a canoe can be very useful. If you find a small lake or swamp that moose are spending alot of time at , it has worked for me in the past to head out and paddle very quietly around the lake before first light or early evening and wait. As long as you are very quiet they seem not to be scared off to bad. I got my first moose that way and my father has taken a few as well.Just make sure you shoot directly out the front or rear of the canoe, obviously shooting out the side can get you wet in a hurry.

Flingin' Sticks
10-16-2008, 09:50 AM
I Can't really lump myself into one single catagory at the moment. What I generally end up doing is drive along looking both for critters, as well as good looking areas to put some boot leather on the ground. I usually look for deactivated roads with NO truck/quad access, or cutblocks that have a big rise in them so you can't see into the whole block from the road. I'll hike into these areas and glass/still hunt them to see what happens. I usually repeat this one for quite a bit.

Barracuda
10-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Personally i like to get on my MC, leave camp and get to a nice secluded area.

Mr. Dean
10-16-2008, 10:58 AM
The 1st thing that I do is scour my toppo's and put the critter hat on. Once I *think* I have a place to go, I go :smile:

Once there, I bounce the roads in search of sign (animals are also good sign :wink:).

Then it's time for the boots to take over. I try to figure out WHERE the sign is coming from and going to (read: hike).

If that doesn't bag me a critter, I then try to establish what 'zones' are being used at what time of the day. This is done by either revisiting them over a course of several days @ different times or by sitting it out; either in the timbers edge or (preferred) from an adjacent hillside with a spotting scope.

Which method used is dependant on the time-frame/duration of my hunt (weekend, week, weeks...). I hate sitting around in one area (for the most part), but will if time isn't on my side. Using the spotter, one can cover several 'zones' at one time IF theres a good vantage point.

Once a critter is found and deemed worthy ------> HUNT ON! :mrgreen:

doubled
10-16-2008, 05:13 PM
All of the above. I love getting on trails where vehicles cannot go and then sitting in hotspots for first light and last light. Alot of my animals have been taking enroute to these locations as well.

Wolfman
10-16-2008, 10:35 PM
I hunt naked...don't the rest of you ?

......:razz::razz::lol:

Wolfman

Orangethunder
10-16-2008, 11:30 PM
For mule deer its still hunting through the timber (aka spook and shoot)

For moose its usually a combination of calling and spot/stalk.

For sheep/goats/caribou- spot and stalk.

For grouse I prefer tracking in fresh snow after thunderstorms on the second night after a full moon three days after the second Thursday of the month. If those conditions dont present themselves I just shoot them on the road.

kennyj
10-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Shoot Gut Pack.
kenny

Caveman
10-18-2008, 11:00 PM
I hunt naked...don't the rest of you ?

......:razz::razz::lol:

Wolfman

And alone I'd guess :shock: