PDA

View Full Version : Another ethical question

Big jer
10-14-2008, 10:21 PM
I just wanted start off by saying, this website has been alot help in giving by two boys direction in hunting ethics and issues. I have hunted for years, but at times take for granted hunting protocal, so it sure helps to see your comments. keep up the great work.

Anyways, I have an ethical question for you:
This was a first for me after 35 + yrs :? of hunting.
What would you have done?
Was coming down from our local ski hill after hunting mulies ( well at least I thought we were, say a spiker. and family.That's it!) and moose ( if a spike fork happen to pop out and get in our way) , when I noted on the side of the road this guy layin there. :shock:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Apex_-moose_1.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Apex_-moose_2.jpg

After carefully getting out of the truck, we realized he was down and out . Either wounded from a shot or hit by a car. After the pics, we realized this guy is suffering and should be put down. So, it came to us, maybe we should do it.
But at this point, a few other cars had stopped and realizing this is really illegal game for us to be shooting. We gave it a second thought.:?
Would not be good if we finished it off and he was wounded by another bullet and someone questioned us, as to who the first shooter was. Not us of course, but we may have to do some explaining. So, after being asked a couple of times and after some lady was sitting in her car “telling” us to put it down ,we decided to move on. Called the CO’s, when I got within cell range and they told me, someone had called in about 40 mins ago and the RCMP were on their way to do the deed. Then we went back the hill for dinner with friends and we saw he had been shot :sad:. Then we found out a resident up at the ski hill ( 10 mins away) had put it out of it’s misery. And also the local natives were coming up to pick it up,for the meat. All good I figured, :smile: except for the time lapsed until he was put down, but not going to waste.
Except,my son came down this morning from the hill and he was still there!!!!:mad:

Anyways, the main point is the ethical question,which is: Would you have put it down under the circumstances?

Gateholio
10-14-2008, 10:48 PM
There has been another thread on this not long ago...Might want to check it out.

Cedarstrip
10-15-2008, 05:58 AM
I personally would have dispatched it immediately and then called a CO. In the couple dealings I've had with them, they've been reasonable. If you were poaching, you'd take the meat and kept your mouth shut. Not reported it right?

hunter1947
10-15-2008, 06:12 AM
You did the right thing not shooting it.

Calling the CO is the right way to deal with this issue.

ratherbefishin
10-15-2008, 06:31 AM
''calling the CO is the right way to deal with the issue''-correct-but what happens when you are way out of the way-where a CO is not likely to be?case in point-some guys saw a badly injured moose,and it was still there for 3 days-eventually the wolves or a bear would finish it off-but I just hate to see an animal left to suffer a long lingering death.Somehow its just not the right thing to do....just like not taking marginal shots.Hopefully if you did dispatch a seriously wounded animal-and called the CO to report it-you'd be dealing with a hunter.Poachers don't call CO'S....

budismyhorse
10-15-2008, 07:25 AM
You did the right thing not shooting it.

Calling the CO is the right way to deal with this issue.

X2 for this quote.

It may suck, but you did the right thing. The CO's are the ones to make these decisions. Sometimes they are just stunned from being hit by a vehicle and jump up and run off hours later.

Near Elkford BC a big 6pt was laying next to the road in a similar way for hours and hours, drew quite the crowd. When someone went up to him to put him down, he jumped up and ran off unharmed.

You and your boys did the right thing, keep it up......too bad the folk who were supposed to pick it up didn't hold up their end of the bargin:?.

budismyhorse
10-15-2008, 07:37 AM
''calling the CO is the right way to deal with the issue''-correct-but what happens when you are way out of the way-where a CO is not likely to be?case in point-some guys saw a badly injured moose,and it was still there for 3 days-eventually the wolves or a bear would finish it off-but I just hate to see an animal left to suffer a long lingering death.Somehow its just not the right thing to do....just like not taking marginal shots.Hopefully if you did dispatch a seriously wounded animal-and called the CO to report it-you'd be dealing with a hunter.Poachers don't call CO'S....

every situation is different......out of the way like that????? You make the call, but are taking a calculated risk. Keep in mind this happens in nature all the time with no one around.

BigBanger
10-15-2008, 07:53 AM
I think I would have shot it , its hard to say .

rocksteady
10-15-2008, 08:19 AM
Personally, if he was that badly hurt, I would have dispatched him and then notified the CO's.

However, saying that, I know all of the local CO's personally and do not believe they would have had an issue with me putting it out of its misery...I have known 2 of them for around 20 years each.....

Another point here - You say he laid there in the ditch for a day or so after being put down....The same happens around here....I am not impressed with the maintenace contractor(s), I have seen a road kill lay on the shoulder of the road for 3 days before it gets removed...

Under the old pre-contractor days, a MOH employee would have removed that the same day, probably within hours.....

Just my opinion and observations....

sneg
10-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I think if there was obvious damage ,which proves that animal is dying from it than it would be ethical to put it down and inform CO. If there is no such evidence and I think that animal is dying than there is question am I qualified to conclude is it actually dying or may be in coma or something ? May be after some rest animal will be fine ? It is not up to us to decide animal's fate. I think you have done right thing by calling CO, who is actually paid to do this job.

huntwriter
10-15-2008, 11:17 AM
This is one of these sad situation were we have to make the choice to do the right thing or obey the law that has not always the animals best interest in mind and could end up costing you even it was morally the right thing to do.

Hard to say what you should have done in this situation. I know what I would have done.

abbyfireguy
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't think it is as much about obeying the law,but more about image...Non-hunters gathered around watching a hunter dispatch the wounded animal would make it turn around into the hunters fault for doing the right thing...The green tree huggers always do!!!
If it was out of the way and no CO or RCMP contact available,I would think a true hunter is almost obliged to put down the animal.
Record your actions and provide witess info if available..
Not much to talk about with the Co's as there were no laws broken.
You can read between the lines and spin the interpretation of the law in several ways,but in the end,humane treatment of dying animals takes priority.
I've put down one deer and one cow moose,both hit by logging trucks and both with obvious broken and mangeled front legs. Didn't take more than 15 minutes of my time at the CO's office, they were happy I stopped and provided "More than enough" details to write a book with.
Just my two cents,not trying to rain on anyones parade but a wee bit of sensitivity for the situation would be needed. Blanket statements don't cover all situations

fordtech
10-15-2008, 12:33 PM
with other people around, best to leave it up to the CO's .. out in the boonies might be a different story. circumstances really play a big part in any decision right, wrong or humane