PDA

View Full Version : Newbish questions

TheDark
10-14-2008, 09:46 PM
Hi all,
I've been lurking around the forums for the past few days dreaming about my first buck(I love the stories and pics from other memebers). So i'd figure i'd post up and introduce myself to a new community
I am a 22 year old guy, located on V.I. I am a ok shooter(I shoot for fun as well) I started out hunnting half way though last season with no luck, so I am back at it this season hoping to fill my fridge and tags, I am fairly new to this and have a few questions, so i'll blast away of the top of my head.

I've read no a few post about guys geting busted for "loaded guns" now I value my safty, and whoever else is with me above everything else and always unload before driving away.
However I was wondering, I have a little strechy shell holder that gose on the butt of my rifle, and I always keep my spare shells there as well as the ones out of the magazine, if I put all my shells there is that considered loaded? as it is not part of the firearm magazine I though it would be alright but after reading some post now I am not so sure. last thing I want is fine because I misunderstood the "law"

Also please forgive my newbish questions, I have a scoped .308 for most of the hunting I do I love the gun, and it shoots great never given me a problem at the range or in the field.
However I find some times it's "unwieldly" in thicker stuff when the action gets going(it's slow bolt action, rather heavy and at times I find the scope setting is too high even at x3 power to make a close shoot) So, I was wondering should I also bring along my trusty SKS?
I am good with it out to 50 yards easily off handed and it's open sighed and semi auto a great bush gun.
But I don't wish to have 2 guns with me, I mean say I am driving along and bam there is a monster buck at the side of the road and I have to jump out really quick to give chase, last thing I want to do is worry about locking and doing up all the windows and what not or deciding what gun to bring.
On the flip side, the SKS isn't so good at longer ranges nor dose it have sub moa groupings at 100yrds
What whould you guys do?

I am sure I could come up with a million more questions but i'll keep that those two for now, any ways thanks in advance for any insight offered
Stay safe and happy hunting everybody!

Thanks
~Stephen

newhunterette
10-14-2008, 10:10 PM
welcome aboard Stephen (the dark) I am almost certain with those 2 questions you will find a wealth of people who are willing to give you their 2 cents on advice so jumping in and asking is the best thing

word of caution - if you don't tell us a joke along with your introduction, our very wise ole "mr Dean" will use his zap ray on ya as that is a pre-requisite for newbies lol

good luck - by the way your first question is a very valid one - I myself am curious as to the answer from the experts

Ali

Shooter
10-14-2008, 10:34 PM
The ammunition holder on the stock is not classified as loaded. If you have a magazine (clip) for your gun it can be loaded in your vehicle but CANNOT be attached the the rifle

Mr. Dean
10-15-2008, 02:08 AM
The ammunition holder on the stock is not classified as loaded. If you have a magazine (clip) for your gun it can be loaded in your vehicle but CANNOT be attached the the rifle

x2, don't worry about the ammo sleeve. All's GOOD!

I'd also stick w/ the .308, it's far more versitile....

Loading up Death Ray Gattling Gun as I type.

NaStY
10-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Yup shell holder good to go. As for gun, I would go for the 308.

BigBanger
10-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I too say go with the 308 .

TheDark
10-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Cool, thanks for the info.
Ugh I hate fall/winter months never seem to get much time after work till it gets dark out. Then I have to worry about tracking somthing through the dark, or losing it all together.

What do you guys do if you see somthing just before sundown and know you have about 10-15 min of light out would you take a shot at nice buck or whatever you hunting knowing you might lose it in the dark?

hmmmm I wish had a zap ray gun...:D

~Stephen

todbartell
10-16-2008, 08:34 PM
use a Barnes Triple Shock X bullet

cainer
10-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Go for it! I just shot my 1st buck this year under those very conditions. It's a pain draggin' em in the dark-but worth every drop of sweat. Hopefully you're not too far from the truck and it's headlights-makes it a bit easier to gut than just the old petzl. Good luck