PDA

View Full Version : Old Trappers Cabin

Deadshot
10-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Just aquired a trap line with an old cabin (registered) on it. It has a couple of old mattresses & a couch in it. All of it rat infested of course. I was wondering if anyone had ideas on the best way to clean it up. The Hantavirus is a concern. I`m thinking of sweeping it out & then maybe a good Lysol bath. Any experience with this sort of thing.

Caveman
10-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Dust particles are the worst way of dealing with it. You want to treat it like Asbestos. Disposible coveralls, Gloves with the cuffs taped, Hanta proof resporator and wet everything down to control the dust. Google it, but be very cautious. I've had two guys I now pass away from this or complications of it

Drachen Jager
10-14-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.mchealth.org/vector/rats/rats_cleaningup.pdf

Seems like good advice

roblikestohunt
10-14-2008, 04:45 PM
i will help you trap and clean out the cabin just to get the hell out of here for a few days...lol....burn all the garbage use lysol or a good disinfectent and keep the dust down, rubbers gloves and some breathing apparatus would be the way to go...

newhunterette
10-14-2008, 04:57 PM
wear a mask and old clothing you do not want anymore afterwards - sweep it out - use ammonia to wash everything down - again keep wearing masks as the ammonia will kill your nose - rodents hate the smell of ammonia

I wash out our cabin every winter season with ammonia and have very little rodent feces in the spring when we open it up again and we keep some dry foods as well as tons of bedding and matresses

usually we have the rodents when we are there as it is warm and smells of cooking and that is when the power house traps come out lol and the competition of who can catch the most :)

Pete
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Open the cabin up and air it out. Take a mixture of bleach and water and spray down the area. If you can get in a portable generator in to the cabin then use a shop vac to suck everything up. Leave the vaccum outside and get some extra hose so that the Vaccum does not vent dust into the cabin. Wear a HEPA filter down to 4 microns as well as goggles as the dust will stick to your eyes. Hanta virus is deadly, err on the side of caution.

Barracuda
10-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Just get your Mother in law to clean it :twisted:

newhunterette
10-14-2008, 07:59 PM
Just get your Mother in law to clean it :twisted:

OMG Cuda I can't believe you just said that :roll::wink:

killman
10-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I thought it was kind of funny.

Dirty
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Burn it down and rebuild

mntman
10-14-2008, 09:33 PM
go to a saftey supply store and get a resp, you need to match the ppm as the dust (a simple white mask will not do) they also sell white coveralls and duct tape the wrists and pants a bug sprayer filled with water will wet everything down to the needed point