PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Hunt Yesterday

behemoth
10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
I was out at one of my favorite spots, at about 7am saw a group of does feeding. I sat down and glassed them for about 10 mins, the wind was howling in my favour, they didnt notice me. All of a sudden a buck pops up from down below. I scope him out and figure 250 yard shot. Since I was sitting down and using my knees for a rest, I aimed about 2 inches above the shoulder and let my 180g Nosler fly out of my new 300WSM.
The buck ducks down and runs away.
I go down and take a look around where he was standing and notice blood on the grass. OK, this is interesting, followed the blood for a few minutes untilI lose the trail. Damn, that was frustrating, so I spent the next 2 hours running all over the mountain trying to guess which way he went.
Nothing.
So I decide to go back to the blood trail and try to pick it up again. Long story short, after crawling on my hands and knees for 3 hours looking at every blade of grass, finding drops the size of pinheads, I come across a big pool next to a tree. I had come about a km on the trail by this time.
I follow the trail down a gulley until it stops again at a big ponderosa windfall. did he go left? no. did he go right? no. well he couldnt have jumped over this ponderosa.... and there he was hung up in the tree. He was hanging on the other side in a bunch of blowdown.
Anyhow, the day ended well and my 2 point muley is at the butcher. Sorry , no pics forgot my camera.

Shooter
10-14-2008, 10:36 AM
Glad you got him. Was he dead when you found him? Also where did the first shot hit was it high?

behemoth
10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes he was dead when I found him, for a couple hours at least. I hit him in the neck, took out the windpipe and that artery below it.

stroh72
10-14-2008, 12:58 PM
Good for you, perserverance is everything. Too many people would have walked away from the situation.Congrats.

Mr. Dean
10-14-2008, 01:02 PM
Fantastic job on finding him!

These stories I like reading.
Enjoy him, it's been well deserved.

stanway
10-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Good job on tracking him down. It would have been really interesting to see a picture of him hung up in that tree.

Kody94
10-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Fantastic job on finding him!

These stories I like reading.
Enjoy him, it's been well deserved.

x2. Love to see it when guys put in that kind of effort to recover an animal...especially when its rewarded.

I had a similar experience (without the hangup in the tree!) with a caribou that I had shot in the neck. A KM of tracking later I was able to finish him. Lost confidence in neck shots after that.

Congrats again...

Cheers,
4Ster

behemoth
10-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah its funny because I thought of leaving a couple of times "it's only a flesh wound, he'll be ok". Then I realized I wouldn't have slept for a week. So I called bullshit on myself and called myself a pussy.:-P Got mad at myself for even thinking of leaving. That was enough to force me to go on, and boy was it GLORIOUS when I saw that buck!!:smile: Learned allot about myself and blood tracking that day.

bruin
10-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Great perseverance. Good on ya

fozzy
10-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Good tracking job behemoth, good on you for sticking to it and finding him. Congrats!

jrjonesy
10-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Good for you for keeping at it. It's amazing what you can find if you put in that extra effort, get down and really search for tiny spots or mists of blood. You rightfully should feel proud for putting in that extra effort.

hunter1947
10-15-2008, 06:38 AM
At least you keep with the tracking and your efforts paid off ,good going on keeping at it.

As for congrats on shooting your deer.

NaStY
10-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Man that is great you stuck it out. Could have been a lifetime of (i wish i did)
Congrats on your success.......

Blainer
10-15-2008, 07:03 AM
Good job tracking.I know that feeling when you start to get discouraged and second guess the shot.

BigBanger
10-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Right on for sticking with it , good job .

sneg
10-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Good job.I bet you feel proud for good job. Congrats on buck.