PDA

View Full Version : Second Elk Rut is here

rocksteady
10-14-2008, 09:41 AM
My neighbour took a buddy out yesterday and called in a clean 5 point, as well as a couple spikes/two's.

Had coffee with a CO this morning and he said Saturday and Sunday were quiet but the bulls were being taken to the butcher in a really steady rate yesterday....

So, if you have not cut a tag (Brotherjack), get out there do a bunch of calling and hope for a 6....

Others guys I talked to were seeing 5 or 6 bulls per day, some with cows, some just loners....

It ain't over til the fat lady sings...as the old saying goes... Still 7 days left...

eastkoot
10-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Had a 5x6 going crazy yesterday but too far for a shot and this AM someone shot the 6x7 I've been after. I was about 2 minutes too late(story of my life) . Anyway, there were also 2 5s and a dozen cows with the one that was shot and also yesterday saw a 5 and a spike with 32 cows !! Lots of cows by themselves too, it seems like a strange year.

Kody94
10-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Went for a short drive on Saturday. Can't really call it a road-hunt as I didn't even bother to take a rifle with me...more of an exploratory trip to get to know some areas closer to Cranbrook (I am a transplant from Elk Valley and am still really unfamiliar with the areas west of the trench in particular).

Anyhoo, I got 1.5 km off the highway and bumped into a small herd of elk, consisting of 6 cows, a 4pt bull and a 5 pt bull. The 5 pt was nearly a twin of the one you got RS, without the sticker on the brow of course. The bulls were both hot...chasing the cows around and completely ignoring me. Could have shot either one any number of times, if they were legal and if I had bothered to bring a rifle of course!

Cheers,
4Ster

Robert
10-14-2008, 10:15 AM
where is here? Are you guys in the Peace or further south

cheers

brotherjack
10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
So, if you have not cut a tag (Brotherjack), get out there do a bunch of calling and hope for a 6....

I'm sure I will, because my head is too hard to quit - but my hope level is essentially zero. I am only the master at finding cow elk - seems like I run across cow elk every 10 minutes, everywhere I go (I counted 15 this morning). But, I can count the number of bulls I've seen this year on one hand (which is about par for the course for my elk hunting experiences over the last 6 years).

We'll see what happens....

eastkoot
10-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Keep trying BJ, because I'm seeing (on good days) 3-5 bulls.. Some evenings I go home and say there's nothing there then go back in the AM and see bulls. Not always legal but it's neat to walk and get some exercise and still see game...

hunter1947
10-14-2008, 10:53 AM
This time of the year is when the bulls are out feeding more in order to put the weight back on for the winter.

If i lived there and have not gotten my elk to this day I would be concentrating on the open slashes first thing in the morning and the last couple of hours of daylight.

Go get a bull brother ,you can do it ,just keep jumping around the countryside till you do connect.