PDA

View Full Version : taking the C.O.R.E test

island grown
10-14-2008, 07:46 AM
hi there everyone. i have been a member here for a few months now. what an awesome sight for new hunters. i have had a lot of good help and tips from everyone. thanks again.
i am going to take my CORE test with a few friends next week. we are challenging the test. we have all been studying like crazy, lots of material to go through. just wondering if anyone has any pointers for us, in regards to the exam. i know it's 75 questions, multiple choice and true or false. others have said the part to focus on is the bird identification.
hoping for some other tips or encouragement.
i'm hoping to be able to get a hunt in before the end of the season. maybe have a nice roast for the x-mas dinner table.

thanks for any help, and thanks to all for any previous help you have given.

cheers

holmes76
10-14-2008, 08:41 AM
be careful with the firearm part. when i took the course a couple months ago i saw three people fail automatically because they pointed the firearm at the instructor. another person tried loading 30.30 ammo into a .308(or vise versa) jammed the cartridge in there. instructors didnt like that much either.

island grown
10-14-2008, 08:55 AM
thanks for the tip, i have already done my PAL. so i will only be challenging the CORE and not the firearms section.
i know what you mean though. when i did my PAL, we had a few guys do those exact same things.

thanks again.

brian
10-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Bird ID is the trickiest, especially if you are not all that interested in all the different birds, but know your other animal ID as well.

rishu_pepper
10-14-2008, 08:57 PM
I challenged it, did not remember many questions were on bird ID.

If you say you have been studying like crazy, you will have no problem passing! Good luck and happy hunting :D

Big Daddy Ryan
10-14-2008, 09:05 PM
As you know you definatly need to know the birds as well as other animals other than that it was a lot of common sense and knowing how to read the hunting regs. Good luck, hopefully you get it all back in time to get in on the hunting season if not there is always spring bear.

huntwriter
10-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Lots of good advice given here. The bottom line is to study the C.O.R.E. manual and Hunting Regulations from cover to cover. All the questions are from the manual and the regulations. When you do the exam you are permitted to look the questions pertaining to the law and regulations up in the Hunting & Trapping Synopsis. Since you take the course with a few friends why not get together a few times before the course and make a answer question game.

When you take the test, take your time and study each question before answering to the instructor or ckecking it on the questionare. The same when you handle firearms don't rush and think before answering.

If the instructor is a nice guy, like I am, he will give you hints to make sure you get the firearm handling part right.:wink:

Good luck.

island grown
10-15-2008, 08:09 AM
thanks for the tips everyone,
so, if i already have my PAL is there still a firearms component to the CORE exam?? and when you say "regs". do you mean the synopsis??

thanks again, good luck on the rest of the season.

huntwriter
10-15-2008, 08:15 AM
thanks for the tips everyone,
so, if i already have my PAL is there still a firearms component to the CORE exam?? and when you say "regs". do you mean the synopsis??

thanks again, good luck on the rest of the season.

The short answer is NO. But there is stll the firearm handling part, which is easy. The instructor describes a few scenarios like, "You're crossing a fence." and then you have to show him how to handle the firearm in that situation.

nano
10-20-2008, 05:01 PM
when I did my c.o.r.e there where only 5 questions on bird id.

island grown
10-20-2008, 05:26 PM
thank you "nano". i've been stressing about the bird id.
happy and safe hunting everyone.

mmcleodk
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
study bird identification, what was the part I personally found most difficult, and its stuff I never thought much about as I really only hunt grouse and pheasants so don't really think much about ptarmigans and the like lol.

The test itself isn't too bad, other than the animal identification its really mostly common sense and being able to read the regs.

island grown
10-29-2008, 07:53 AM
ya hooooooooo... i'm am very happy that i passed my test. now its just some paper work and then go for my first hunt before the season is over.
good luck to everyone.