PDA

View Full Version : Would you shoot a calf moose?

BIGHUNTERFISH
10-13-2008, 03:52 PM
We just returned from our moose hunt near Tatuk lake .We were able to harvest 2 nice bulls ,but there were a ton of guys looking for calves.I dont really want to shoot one ,but I was wondering what you guys think?

1/2 slam
10-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I've always looked at as "They are our future"

killman
10-13-2008, 04:43 PM
In a minute. If you don't eat them, the wolves probably will.

BigBanger
10-13-2008, 04:45 PM
yummy yummy in my tummy .

hunter1947
10-13-2008, 04:47 PM
You want to believe that i would take the calf moose ,If I had a chance to do so.

Nothing would be more taster then a calf moose stake on the dinner table.

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Yes definately! Moose is my favorite big game animal and it's what I grew up on as a youth in the interior. I love the flavour but with only me, my 'mumma' and a 'Yellar' dog a calf is a more appropiate size. That doesn't mean to say I'd pass up on a BIG bull but for a 'deep freeze' Moose it would be hard to beat a calf.

goatdancer
10-13-2008, 05:11 PM
I would sooner have a calf Elk over a stinky swamp donkey.

Stinky swamp donkey???????

mcrae
10-13-2008, 05:55 PM
I shot one three years ago and it was the best tasting critter I have ever shot. There was no hesitation by me!!!

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
I would sooner have a calf Elk over a stinky swamp donkey.

And I'd be willing to trade you, ;)any day of the week. To me, calf or a young Elk tastes bland compared to the same of Moose. Sirloin tip Calf Moose roast, Yorkshire pudding, garlic mashed potatoes and lots of Moose gravy. Life doesn't get much better.:D

Kechika
10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Just dont seem right to me.

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 06:49 PM
Just dont seem right to me.

I think I know what you mean but it might be sort of a 'Bambi' thing. A consideration is the survival rate of a calf VS that of a more mature anomal. The 'chances' of the more mature animal are greater and therefore, so are the possibilities for more animals with more breeding stock available.

Kechika
10-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Weather,Predators and yahoos with high powered rifles.No wonder mortality is high

lightmag
10-13-2008, 07:31 PM
currently hunting for one now.

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 07:35 PM
currently hunting for one now.

If you're short of storage space, I can help you out.:biggrin:

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Weather,Predators and yahoos with high powered rifles.No wonder mortality is high

True, even sans 'yahoos with high powered rifles'.

browningboy
10-13-2008, 07:45 PM
I have got a calf before, but warning to newbies, don't just walk up the the calf, give mom a minute to grieve otherwise, she'll stomp your ass into the ground!

Akula
10-13-2008, 07:55 PM
So far with my own limited hunting experience, I've come across three calves killed by wolves. My thoughts are better me than the wolves. If I can ever get LEH for cow/calf I would be all over it!

Jetboat
10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
I've shot lot's of bull moose but only brought home calves twice. Both were bull calves and on the hook they weighed 206# & 212# respectively. The meat, although very tender, was kinda bland. I'll take a big bull until about mid-September or a yearling bull afterwards for prime eating.

todbartell
10-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I have never taken a calf moose, have passed on dozens of chances during the open season for them in the past 13 years. If my freezer was in need of filling, I just may drop one. They are big flat tops!

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I have got a calf before, but warning to newbies, don't just walk up the the calf, give mom a minute to grieve otherwise, she'll stomp your ass into the ground!

You've got that right, and the older the cow, the more caution you should exercise.

Kechika
10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
I have never taken a calf moose, have passed on dozens of chances during the open season for them in the past 13 years. If my freezer was in need of filling, I just may drop one. They are big flat tops!

Fireball???

browningboy
10-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Fireball???

No whiskey, fireball gives you bad "beer goggles!"

browningboy
10-13-2008, 08:09 PM
You've got that right, and the older the cow, the more caution you should exercise.

When I shot my Immy last year, the cow was still somehow "hitched" to that as her calf so to speak, she was circling us on the road and would run by us from one side to the other, we finally had to drag him up the road a couple of hundred yards as she was getting "spooky", just something for newbies to keep in mind as they will go after you.

ianwuzhere
10-13-2008, 08:13 PM
i dont think that the calf season is a very good idea and have never shot one but i think i would if given the chance cuz 2 points are very hard to find...

elkdom
10-13-2008, 08:14 PM
Yes! I m not (Walt Disney), calf , moose the best on your dinner plate, of all the hairy four 'leggers', so if you hunt for meat, this is tops!

NO !! "Bambie Moose's" mommy dont die of heart break after Bambie Moose goes to the UGLY Hunters kitchen! but in fact most areas that have 'calf moose seasons have very HIGH Calf Winter Mortality, MVA's, Trains (weapons of mass destruction for moose) Wolves, Cougar, Tics, starvation (deep snow), so it doesent affect the 'herd' to allow calf harvest! if most die, and preditors are the only ones to benifit, then why not use them! before "strengthening" the preditors, who produce "more and larger litters when healthy"! Its only the last 40,50 years its become "Fashionable" to only shoot Bulls! or "Politicaly Correct" what ever way you want to look at it!

180grainer
10-13-2008, 10:03 PM
We all trust the game biologists when they tell us there's enough grizzly to hunt, so why don't we trust them when they tell us we can harvest calves. It's all part of a game management strategy.

Johnnybear
10-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I think it's the frowning from other hunters that deter's folks from shooting a calf. A couple hundred pounds of meat in the freezer is a couple of hundred pounds of meat. If the area allows it and the management seems right why not. I have eaten calf moose meat and it was not bland it was delicious!

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 10:23 PM
I think it's the frowning from other hunters that deter's folks from shooting a calf. A couple hundred pounds of meat in the freezer is a couple of hundred pounds of meat. If the area allows it and the management seems right why not. I have eaten calf moose meat and it was not bland it was delicious!

To clarify, earlier on it was calf Elk or young Elk that I found bland in comparisson to calf Moose.

bigmike
10-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I've shot lot's of bull moose but only brought home calves twice. Both were bull calves and on the hook they weighed 206# & 212# respectively. The meat, although very tender, was kinda bland. I'll take a big bull until about mid-September or a yearling bull afterwards for prime eating.

To clarify, earlier on it was calf Elk or young Elk that I found bland in comparisson to calf Moose.
i think he was talking about this post

The 'Hummer'
10-13-2008, 10:41 PM
i think he was talking about this post

Yeah, you're probably right. I kinda' missed that one.:oops:I had mentioned about calf Elk being bland in comparisson to calf Moose and thought that's what was being made reference to. I stand corrected.:smile:Calf Moose is probably some of the finest big game table fare I've ever had.

bigmike
10-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah, you're probably right. I kinda' missed that one.:oops:I had mentioned about calf Elk being bland in comparisson to calf Moose and thought that's what was being made reference to. I stand corrected.:smile:Calf Moose is probably some of the finest big game table fare I've ever had.

yup....mmmmmmmmmmmm

and i was suprised to hear that calf elk is bland
elk is my favorite table fare

Franko Manini
10-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Click, Boom

Stone Sheep Steve
10-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Reg 7A has the most liberal seasons and the highest, most sustainable harvest in the province. The calf season has been in place for many years. The nay sayers said and keep saying that it isn't sustainable.....yet the harvest rate hasn't dropped.

It should be a model for the rest of the province to look at....

SSS