PDA

View Full Version : Is The Meat Okay To Eat !!!!!

eric
10-13-2008, 10:00 AM
Hello all, 3 days ago i got a 6x5 elk ( sorry no camera with me ) While i was skinning it out i found a soft mushy spot on it's left hip under the hide about the size of a soft ball, also between the skin and flesh there was a light brown coloured film,almost a slime like stuff.This bull had been doing lots of fighting as it was bruised up a lot along it's front shoulders and around this one hip, I had checked to see if the hide had been punctured, but all was okay with the hide.The next day I checked out this soft spot and found that it had grown a bit, I took a knife and cut into the spot and a pink coloured liquid ran out of the hole.I have cut all this soft meat away from the rest of the good meat, but i'm wondering if the rest of the hind quarter is going to be okay to eat.
Has anybody else ever found anything like this. I am going to be talking to the biologist up here as well as going to talk to the local butchers to see if they have ever come across something like it.
I had also given this bad section of meat the sniff test and there was no bad smell coming from it
What do you think, should I take a chance and process the meat or feed it to the coyotes, it would be a real shame to have to let whats left of the hind quarter go to waste,but i don't want to get sick either

What should a person do

Happy Thanksgiving
Eric

10-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Call a CO or biologist, they should be able to tell you.

hunter1947
10-13-2008, 12:11 PM
I never have heard of this befor ???.

Call up a butcher and ask him what he thinks about it.

elkdom
10-13-2008, 12:14 PM
If there is no "sour" odour. such as with absess of infection dont worry! there are many types of bruises, pulled muscels such as torn ligaments on your knee result in watery type of ( pouch) if you found no parasites, you should be fine with the meat from your elk, I have found these watery bruises on quite a few bulls, mostly after they been (ruttin) for 2 months, also dont sweat about small sacks of gooey liquid in the liver, common in elk and moose ( liver flukes) cut them off rest of liver is fine! Congratz on your elk!

stroh72
10-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah I've seen it. My moose 2 years ago was missing his last 2 ribs on his left side, in its spot was what I thought was an infected pus filled sac about 10 inches in diameter. I cut it out plus a couple inches around it and the rest of the meat was fine.

rocksteady
10-13-2008, 12:30 PM
It should be fine....The clear/pinky fluid is the bodies way of healing an injury......As long as its not thick PUSS, which indicates an infection, no big deal...

I got an elk a few years ago, the butcher showed it to me, that had a cyst about the size of a basketball on the front of his shoulder..Looked like an old stick poke injury that had covered over and absessed...Lost probably 10 or 12 pounds of meat but everything else was just fine....

eric
10-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and cut it up.
I guess some animals have a lot going on inside that we don't know about.

Now it's time to wait for Deer season :smile:

Have a good one

elkdom
10-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks guys, I'll go ahead and cut it up.
I guess some animals have a lot going on inside that we don't know about.

Now it's time to wait for Deer season :smile:

Have a good one

Yah! well your not 'Rocky Balboa', so dont hang your deer in the garage and pound the POOH out of it! lol (Happy Turkey Day) unless your a TURKEY!
OH by the way I was out your way this morning ( Rat Lake) 4 mature bullmose,(1 leagal) several cows and some yoties, oh and 2 other hunters riding quads down the main road! Suicide Jockees! lmao