PDA

View Full Version : need help in 8-05 (muley behavior questions)

twoSevenO
10-12-2008, 07:02 PM
so i got out this morning to 8-05 and for the second time in that area i've witnessed the same things happening. I got there it was still dark. Parked the jeep and walked about 1km to a cut block.

(I'm a newb to 8-05 and hunting in general so i don't have secret spots per se lol)

Anyways, I walked to the cut block, sat down on the edge and began to glass for about 2 hrs everywhere. My cut block (above the Tulameen River FSR) and the surrounding area. Saw nothing, but was hoping to see at least some does with all the tracks and poop in the area.

Now, about the things i noticed in the times i've been to this area:

1) Majority of the tracks i saw lead down the hill. Some were very fresh, definitely this morning's tracks. My question is this: There was not enough snow at the top to chase them down. What would be the next reason for them all going downhill?

2) Would this be a good opportunity for me to wait on them in the afternoon as they return back up to higher ground? Or would a smarter thing to do be to set up a spot down below during first light and get them as they make their way down?

3) After the first-light feeding time has passed, what is my best bet with a sunny, dry day like today? Say from 10am onward. Should i be looking for bedded deer in the sunlight? Bedded in the shade?
This took place at around 4600ft with 2"-3" of snow max.

Soooo .... i'd love to hear what the gang on HBC has to chime in. Any advice is appreciated and hopefully i can get this hunting thing figured out a little bit :smile:

Jelvis
10-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Deer will bed down in thick valley and come up just at dark to eat bushes in an opening then go back to thicker valley just at daybreak so hunt early and late til the rut starting on October 23rd or so.
If you can see them on the trail before the opening say inside the bush just before where they come out. Kapow! Jel

Freshtracks
10-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Hmmm from the info you're providing I'll throw some ideas your way.

Firstly you state you're hunting above the river valley. Not knowing the distance to the cut block(s) and/or if there is agricultural fields in the valley I could be a little off but give you some ideas to check out.

1) Most tracks lead down hill. Keep in mind that ungulates will water up prior to and after feeding, before bedding. Could be they are heading down to the river and/or agri fields(if there are any).

2) Answering how the deer are acting as suggested in #1 will help you decide the setup. This might take a few trial and error trips.

3) As the cold weather increases deer don't require the cool sanctuary of the timber. Most times they won't travel very far from the feeding areas and bed on open sunny ridges and/or benches that offer a good escape route, with high visuals for them. If you can spot these bedding areas from a distance, a stalk can then be palnned. Still hunting these areas can be a hit and miss game, as most hunters usually see a hind end going the opposite way.

Good luck.

NaStY
10-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Bye the looks of that area on google. I would have to say, go there in the afternoon and wait till dark.

Blainer
10-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I believe they bed at the bottom as the temperatures are warmer at night,and they tend to head back up in the A.M.The big bucks will stay at the higher altitudes.If you can pattern the does,then come rut time(early Nov.)the big boys will be with them.If you concentrate in 1 cut block,you have alot of apples in 1 basket,spend the afternoons exploring other areas.
Good luck.
I have hunted this general area 3 times this year,and seen bucks everytime.I actually took some younger hunters on two occasions and all three harvested a buck.Thread posted yesterday.

Mr. Dean
10-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Knowing what type of deer (bucks/does, young/old...) that are using the area would be beneficial. A couple questions I think of are:

- How many times have you been in there?
- What (if any) deer have you seen already?
- A lot can be told from the sign. How many tracks and how big; how many deer are using this spot?
- When next can you get back up there?
- Lastly... Is this spot fairly secluded with limited access AND when looking at it, does it scream "build your dream home here"?.... Offering fantastic views from a vista?

A sure fire way in finding out what is happening is to make visits, at different times of the day, spread out over several visits. Keep in mind, things will soon be changing up as the rut and weather approaches.

twoSevenO
10-13-2008, 10:52 AM
Mr. Dean

- I was in there twice now and both times saw lots of sign (tracks/poop) but no deer.
- I couldn't tell you deer size from tracks, but there was a handful, with a variety of sizes ;)
- I can get back in there any day, i'd just like to figure out what i'm doing wrong before i do. I know i should be seeing at least some does.
- No it isn't very secluded (from the main roads about 1km walk), but does offer a pretty good view of the cutblock as well as at least 3 other neighbouring cut blocks from there.

When you say things will be changing as the rut and weather approaches. What exactly do you mean with the weather? Will the decreased temps and increased snow just make them move less? Will it make them move lower

Thanks for advice boys :)

Jelvis
10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Snow and rut behaviour will change the ways deer operate. Mule deer usually migrate closer to winter range before breeding. They start breeding end of October.
Winter range is under 3900 ft. elevation. Summer range above 4000 ft level. For the majotity of the herd but some deer will stay under 4000 ft all year round and some will stay above 4000 ft even in winter so there's always a different behavior for different bucks and does.
Those deer will be in the openings eating in the dark. Then at first sign of sunrise poof! by by.
After the 20th of October things will change a lot and you will see more day action from animules. lol Jel-doe

Mr. Dean
10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
If your finding tracks of all sizes, I'd *think* that this is more of a nursery type area; an area that makes the moms feel comfy rearing up the kids.

.... A good place to keep an eye on IMO and try to figure out where they're moving from/to. If I'm right about the deer that are using it, immature bucks will be hanging with'em either NOW, or very very SOON and as the snow starts to accumulate the less they'll be returning, opting for lower grounds... perhaps try following some of the downhill tracks (if possible) to try to figure out where they'll be hanging out when they're forced out....

Immatures come in all tine configurations, including 4 pointer's but it's always the spikes and 2's that I encounter early (pre rut) hangin' with doe's (more so a numbers game, I believe). If ya can keep up with them as they move through the season, the maturer bucks will be booting out the younger one's as November sets in.

Stick to it. I'm pretty sure that once you see some hair (and I think you're very close to doing so), antlers will be there too! Then it's just a matter of how cocky/selective ya wanna be. :wink:

Having the luxury of visiting this spot any time you want is PRICELESS.
I envy you! :tongue:

#$%^@*& ^%#@*!!!

twoSevenO
10-14-2008, 09:45 AM
thanks mr. dean. I get what you mean andi'll try to incorporate some of that advice on my next visit to the area.

always good replies on here :) :)