PDA

View Full Version : The Wife(tm) lets one fly!

brotherjack
10-12-2008, 11:42 AM
So, last night in the last 15 minutes of fading light, I’m sitting quietly near a well used game trail, counting the does as they filter through (and wishing something with antlers would show up). About that time, The Wife™ calls me on the radio and says that gunshot I heard about 15 minutes ago was her. She’s getting pretty anxious, because light is fading fast, and she can’t find the the blood trail, and she’s pretty unhappy with how hard the critter ran getting out of there, when she was expecting it to go down pretty hard given her estimation of the shot placement being right through the front shoulders. I go get the truck, and drive around to the closest point I can get to where the Rino GPS says she’s at.

I bring the blood-tracker flashlight (basically a light with red/green lenses and no blue – makes anything blood-ish red stand out brightly in the dark; a remarkable little device, actually), as well as one of those hand-held floodlights. We pound bush until well into the night, and just nothing. No blood. No deer. No nothing.

By this point, The Wife™ is near tears. It was only about a 60 yard shot, and she was sitting down with her elbows braced on her knees to boot. Either she missed, in which case she’s convinced she has no business ever shooting at an animal again if that’s the best she can do, or she did hit it and we have a wounded/dead one still there in the bush, which isn’t really much better that the first scenario in her view. It doesn’t help her mood that pitch dark has long since set in, and the batteries in the floodlight are all-but dead by now. So we headed back to the truck with heavy hearts.

This morning, we headed back up and made a beeline for the spot. The Wife™, good little hunter that she is, left trail tape ribbons at both the spot where she was sitting, and the tree nearest where the deer was at the moment she pulled the trigger. Getting ready to start the walk-through, she heads for the point where she was at when she took the shot, and I head over to pretend I’m the deer.

As I walk up to the tree with the trail tape on it, I see it. Right there, with a bullet hole in it, about the size you’d expect a 30 cal to make in something, is the very tree that has the trail tape hanging in the branches. I let out a loud guffaw, and start laughing. The Wife™ is not seeing the humor in the situation as I insist that she come over and have a look at what I found. The trees are thick enough in there she didn’t have the biggest shooting lane in the world to shoot through, and after seeing where the deer was and which tree had the hole in it, there was no doubt that she just pulled the shot a couple of inches forward. T’would still have been a very clean kill shot, except for the tree.

So – we are both very, very relieved on all fronts. It wasn’t a bad shot, the gun doesn’t suck, and the deer isn’t still out there wounded or dead somewhere. The Wife™ wasn’t really happy about it, but I made her pose with the tree she shot. After all, it’s the biggest thing she’s put a bullet in this year - heheheh.

http://xjack.org/hunting/deadtree.jpg

elkdom
10-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Well now that looks like a ( good EATIN tree!) lol at least she shot a YOUNG tree! old big trees are tough and chewy! nothing to be ashamed of! you both did excellent job of good hunting procedure and ethics! keep it up! but your out of "TREE" tags so now its deer of elk!

kenadiens
10-12-2008, 11:55 AM
you may noy have hit the deers heart but you did get the heart of the tree:p. Tough luck but good for you on your persistance on locating the deer/tree.

threedhunter
10-12-2008, 12:02 PM
careful cuttin the tenderloin outa that tagged out trophy, gotta have a look at the bullet to ensure peak performance took place so the trophy didn't suffer.threedhunter:eek:

Wildfoot
10-12-2008, 12:19 PM
did you delimb it to make it easier to pack out?

10-12-2008, 12:47 PM
That's really a sad story BJ, and I'm sure your wife is disappointed, but if it'll make her feel any better, she can rest assurred that this has happened to the best and most experienced hunters at one time or another.

The exact same thing happened to my brother a few years back on a Saskatchewan deer hunt and to make him feel really bad he was shooting at close and easy range at a trophy buck.

We found the hole in the tree the following morning, exact same scenario.
He was hiding just back in the bush line watching an open alfalfa field. The deer were exiting the field and came towards the tree line directly towards him. The deer were less then 40 yards out when he shot (almost a sure thing) but the tree he hit was only about 10 or 12 feet in front of him, probably was only a blurry spot in his scope.

brotherjack
10-12-2008, 02:30 PM
Yeah, she's dissapointed, but it wasn't the monster buck of a lifetime or anything (she shot that one last year!), this was just a bit of freezer fodder. There's plenty more out there - no worries on that front. We have no clue how to get an elk, but deer, we can kill some deer, now. :)

mad_mallard
10-12-2008, 02:50 PM
If it makes the wife feel better,not so long ago I remember a particular whitetail buck that had a half dozen christmas trees sacrifice themselves so that he may continue to frolic freeley and happily ever after in the kooteneys.TRY:oops: living that one down!!!!

10-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Yeah, she's dissapointed, but it wasn't the monster buck of a lifetime or anything (she shot that one last year!), this was just a bit of freezer fodder. There's plenty more out there - no worries on that front. We have no clue how to get an elk, but deer, we can kill some deer, now. :)

Mature 6pt bull elk are one of the more difficult animals in North America to bag. It's akin to shooting a mature 5pt Whitetail buck or a full curl ram. Persistence is a huge element and one of any hunters greatest assets, keep at it and I'm positive someday your luck with elk is going to turn around.
I'm sure you're already aware of this, but see Rocksteady's and Hunter 47's stories, elk hunting is not nor ever will be "easy". Stick to your guns partner!

1/2 slam
10-12-2008, 03:37 PM
BJ,

How did you gut that? It looks like it would be tough. Cooking is going to be another matter. Watch you don't burn it when cooking.:razz::razz:

papaken
10-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Don't feel bad years ago I had an entire moose hide behind one of them pecker poles.:oops:

hunter1947
10-13-2008, 05:46 AM
Things like that happen sometimes ,it is part of hunting .

I remember when the same thing happed to me years back.

One thing for sure at least there is not a wounded deer walking around.
Good for your wife for putting out markers after she shot ,well done young ladyhttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

huntwriter
10-13-2008, 07:01 AM
I once shot a tree with my bow about the same size. I still have no idea how that tree jumped right in front of the deer the moment I pulled the release trigger.

Allen50
10-13-2008, 10:51 AM
well good on her, at least you looked to make sure that there was not a deer laying going to waist, spending the time to make sure, lots of time it's the last things some hunters, do, and getting a tree, next time it will be a hog buck, then you better get some good pic,, don't make her feel to bad, she may show you up then you may be getting your pic, with a empty truck,, good for her at least she's out there trying,, cool...

brotherjack
10-13-2008, 11:23 AM
Yeah, The Wife(tm) and I are pretty serious about making sure we don't leave a wounded/dead/dying critter in the bush. It's the Right Thing(tm) to do, and besides - I'm pretty lazy, and it takes less time and work to track a wounded one down than it does to find another one suitable for shooting and get it shot. :)

Mr. Dean
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
http://xjack.org/hunting/deadtree.jpg

I'd cut that tree and mount it in the living room. it and the story is a true trophy. :lol:

Glad ya got it figured out.

goatdancer
10-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Saw a similar thing in the East Kootenays a few years ago. A young fellow was out hunting with his dad and took a shot at a whitetail. The deer escaped but the Christmas tree he knocked down was tied to the roof of their small truck. The kid was really pumped about bagging the tree.